Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizardlesbian   AmbuBadger   Rainbowmyanole   DragonessJewel  

Member  Message

Lizardlesbian
View Profile

Anole always brown in his tank?

I just recently adopted a green anole and for whatever reason he is always brown in his tank. I have a 100 watt ceramic lamp on him at night and a 60 watt day lamp. I miss him 3 or more times a day and he has crickets. The strangest part is that he is green when I hold him. There is a dark circle on his left thigh that I haven’t found a cause for. He is sleeping on my arm right now and he is turning slightly blue. He was also in the beginning of shedding his skin but only his face shed before falling off.

10/21/17  05:47am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlesbian   In reference to Message Id: 2321392

I’ve had this same issue with screened enclosures that didn’t have enough lighting. As soon as I took them out to clean it, they’d turn green and look happy. The thing I see missing from your setup is a UVB bulb. Also, how is the tank oriented? Anoles love to have lots of climbing spaces, rather than a tank set horizontally as you would for fish or snakes. In addition to the UV light, you could add a CFL or LED bulb to brighten the inside without driving the heat levels up too high, and you could see about adding more green plants like pothos and ivy vines. Double check the temps in the tank too, anoles like to have a basking spot in the low 90’s and an overall temp in the mid to high 80’s. Finally, be sure not to leave crickets in his tank overnight— they can attack your anole in his sleep and do damage to his skin.

10/21/17  10:57pm

Rainbowmyanole
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlesbian   In reference to Message Id: 2321392

I have two finger trained anoles always green on my finger and brown in her tank same problem

10/22/17  07:58pm

DragonessJewel
View Profile

Message To: Rainbowmyanole   In reference to Message Id: 2321400

Don’t be too worried because the statement ’a green anole is a happy anole’ and vice versa isn’t always true.

11/18/17  05:43pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area