Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07  

Member  Message

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Anole with super droopy lip

Sorry if this was posted twice, my first message disappeared. Anyway, my green anole,Will, has been having this weird droopy lip and won’t eat any crickets. It’s so weird because he used to eat crickets every day. any help is appreciated.

Anole lover07

10/11/17  04:53pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321351

Usually a droopy lip/jaw would lead me to believe that Will may not be getting enough calcium and is suffering from metabolic bone disease, assuming there was no recent trauma that actually caused a fracture to his jaw. If he isn’t eating crickets, you can provide him with mashed carrots or mealworms mixed with water and some calcium powder to create a slurry, and see if he will lap it up in the mornings and mid-day when he would normally be drinking his water.

Tell me about Will and his tank setup: does he get calcium/vitamin powder dusted on his crickets? Does he have UVB lighting that is not filtered through the tank glass? Is there anything else he is doing that seems out of the ordinary?

10/11/17  11:41pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321353

Will is super weird and doesn’t like the calcium powder, never knew a lizard can be so picky. He’s been living off wax worms and mealworms for months. I don’t know if I have UVB, all I know is that it’s 75 watts. He’s been very tired lately and has been hiding in his ivy and sleeping, he doesn’t usually do this. Will may be scared of the crickets because One almost bit him, he hasn’t been under his heat lamp and getting much warmth. Never knew a 5$ lizard would be so much maintenance.

Anole lover07

10/12/17  03:52pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321357

It sounds like he is having issues related to a poor level of vitamins and calcium in his diet. He needs warmth, a better diet, and UV light. For now, you can try placing him in direct sunlight (no glass or screen in between) for several half- to one-hour sessions so long as his tank isn’t totally sealed (you don’t want to bake him in there!). You also should go on Amazon and find a UVB bulb for your tank or at least look for one locally. As for feeding him the supplements, mix some of the powder with diced carrots and water, like a slurry or paste, and see if he will take it. I will dab some on their nose and they will lick it off, and I’ll hold more up to their mouth as they’re licking to get them to take it in. Another method is to have the mix ready on a stick and when he’s licking up some water I will place some near for him to take. You can try adding a little jelly to see if he likes the sweeter flavor. Given that his jaw is a little soft, he should be eating only very soft foods for now until he regains his strength.

10/12/17  05:20pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321359

Thanks! I sometimes bring him outside to get more warmth, if I could pick him up it would make it soooooo much easier.

Thank you- anole lover07

10/13/17  12:17pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area