Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Drakontas   AmbuBadger   Drakontas   AmbuBadger   Drakontas  

Member  Message

Drakontas
View Profile

New to this site with a couple of questions on vivarium setup.

I’m new to this site and this is going to be a long post so sorry in advance. I am setting up a new vivarium for some green anoles. I am going to use my 75 gallon aquarium with a full screen lid. I want to get one male and 3 females, I have read that a 75 gallon could have a few more but would rather go with less and them have more room to run. I am going to have a 48" UVB bulb with a warmer basking light on one side. I’m also planing on getting at least one ceramic heater for night as it gets quite cool at night here. Am going to use live plants, golden pathos and open to other suggestions. I will be making a custom foam background for them. So to get to my questions, I’m worried about the substrate. I have been to every hardware store and greenhouse around me and the best organic soil I can find is made of mostly peat moss and I know the care sheet said pure peat moss is not good. So would that soil be okay? Also the only organic compost I can find is mushroom compost, if I make sure to bake it at 300 for 30 mins to kill anything still living in it would that be okay also? The other question I have is would a fogger be okay with anoles as long as the humidity stays in the right range? I think the look of the fog would be nice, but not worth it if it would be bad on the anoles. I may have more questions later as I haven’t even started the build yet, like to do my research first. Also I want the tank to be up and running for about a month before the anoles are added to allow plants to start growing well and springtailes to populate.

10/10/17  06:13am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Drakontas   In reference to Message Id: 2321350

Okay, good choice on keeping a minimal number of anoles in that 75 gallon tank-- they’ll be happier that way for sure! I have one male and three females together in a vertical arrangement, and they all seem happy together. This may not always be the case, so keep an eye on them for a week or two first to avoid any bullying. One thing that seems to have help at avoiding fights was the fact I have two basking lights for them-- that means everyone gets a turn at some point to warm up, and being here in Hawaii means nobody will turn into a popsicle if they don’t get some basking time in! Make sure your ceramic heater isn’t going to run too hot where it’ll risk burning them, and you should be okay (my understanding is that heater pads/rocks should be avoided, but if you live in a cold environment, use them with caution).

Golden Pothos and Snake Plants (Mother-in-Law Tongue) are great for anoles! The pothos allow them to hide and give them the perfect leaves for lapping water off of, and my anoles love sleeping in the rigid blades of the snake plants. Spanish Moss is also good-- some of my anoles will crawl right into it at bed time and crash out there until morning. I also like to use cork bark hot-glued to the back of the tank to provide basking and climbing surfaces. As for the substrate, my understanding is that organic substrate and soil is fine-- it is digestible and anoles do occasionally get dirt in their mouths when hunting-- but minimize the risk of impaction by setting up a ceramic bowl that mealworms and crickets can be deposited in. Place this bowl over some gravel, smooth river rocks, branches, or anything too big to fit in the anole’s mouth, and be sure to only provide food there.

For the soil, baking it is good. Don’t worry about the springtails dying, any new plants you bring in will likely have some, and you can also use isopods (rolly-polly bugs) to keep the rotten leaves down to a minimum. I have heard of springtails eating soft anole eggs, so be sure to remove any eggs you find that are live and incubate them if you intend on breeding. For the fogger, you can save money and use a cool mist dehumidifier. I found mine locally for $25, it’s called an ultrasonic humidifier, and it will make a visible mist cloud. I set mine on a timer to run for an hour, every two hours, between 0630 and 1800. You will have to experiment with placement of leave to catch the droplets that form, but they will learn to go there for water. Mine know the timer already and will wait at the water cooler for a drink :) Too much mist is a bad thing-- if it is constantly wet in there, you run the risk of causing respiratory infections. Keep a meter in the tank to read humidity.

Finally, be sure they get calcium and vitamin supplements. I’ve mashed carrots and my anoles will actually eat it, probably because they know the vitamin A is necessary for keeping their skin and immune system strong. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

10/12/17  12:07am

Drakontas
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321354

Thank you for your reply. I will check out the cool mist humidifier sounds good. I will have both thermometers and a humidity gauge in there while I let the plants get rooted. That way I have a few weeks or more to get the timer just right. I don’t plan on breeding them, if it does happen I won’t mind, but not sure I could find good homes for all the babies and I’m sure the wife wouldn’t want me keeping all of them lol.

Today I’m finishing the second piece of my background had to do it in to pieces. After that I will finally be able to start putting everything together.

10/12/17  02:58am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Drakontas   In reference to Message Id: 2321355

Sounds good! My fiancée is the opposite— she would love for nothing more than to have anoles running all over the place here! Where do you guys live? I’m assuming it’s someplace where it’s too cold to just leave any eggs you find outside.

10/12/17  08:06am

Drakontas
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321356

Yeah, we live in northern Ohio. So our winters get bitter cold. Other wise I would love to have the little guys running all over.

10/12/17  06:48pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area