Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07  

Member  Message

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Eats nothing but mealworms

Sorry I’m posting a lot, my green anole "Will" has only been eating mealworms I just started feeding wax worms to him and I don’t know if he’s eating them, I’m away right now but I assume he ate the mealies. Whenever I put crickets in there he doesn’t eat much...sometimes none, I even saw one one his head when he woke up, one bit him I think, I fed him small ones...he has never been a fan of them.
Any help is appreciated.

-anole lover07

09/11/17  11:27am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321249

So Will made it safely through the storm then? That’s great! Anoles can go a few days without food-- their metabolism is different from ours. Try letting him wait a few days before offering anything else. Also, don’t leave crickets in there with him-- they’re active at night and will attack him while he’s sleeping (crickets have killed anoles and geckos). After a few days, maybe his predatory side will kick in and he’ll give chase to the crickets. If not, then make sure the mealworms you do feed him have something other than plain oats to eat-- what they eat will be passed to Will, so you want them to be packed with nutrients!

09/11/17  12:08pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321250

Sorry for the late response, I didn’t have access to wifi, what kind of food do I feed the mealworms other than oats. He started to get a zig zag tail yesterday

Thanks- Anole lover07

09/14/17  12:17pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321268

Zig-zag tail? That sounds like it could be a calcium issue-- make sure Will is eating foods coated with a calcium supplement. Also be sure he has UVB lighting. I feed carrots and Flukers gel blocks to my mealworms as well as any other nutritious veggies I can spare. Bear in mind that your anole will get whatever nutrients the worms eat, so it’s important to give them more than just oats!

09/14/17  01:35pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321269

Ok thanks... I also researched a zig zag tail and it was a symptom of MBD, hope he doesn’t have it... and if he does I can’t do anything about it.

Thank you for all the help- Anole lover07

09/14/17  06:29pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321271

No, you can still help him-- have him eat calcium-dusted insects now before it’s too late. If you wait too long, his condition will worsen, and it will become painful for him. Don’t put him through that because you think it’s too late-- you’ve got time!

09/15/17  12:24am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321272

Ok thanks, he’s doing a lot better.

Thank you-Anole lover07

09/16/17  05:45am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area