Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ScooterAnoles   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   ScooterAnoles   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   AmbuBadger   ScooterAnoles   ScooterAnoles   Anole_lover07  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Help!!! My brown anole is very sick!

My brown anole has been extremely thin looking and his tail has started to sink in,he also has mouth rot but there are no anole doctors around here! I got him around 4months ago and about 1 month ago we got a green anole and they are in the same cage together. They are with each other a lot but now even the green anole is bigger than my brown anole. The temps tire of the cage in the daytime is around 78-80 degrees feranhite and around 75 degrees in the night time. We have a large cage with dirt as the bedding and a large rock for him to bask in the light. We also have fake plants that the green anole hides in. It is very strange because the brown anole still eats a lot but he looks extremely thin around the legs and tail. 2 days ago,I woke up and when I looked in the cage he looked dead. He was a weird grey color and his skin look sorta wrinkly. His tail was also sunk in and tiny bugs were crawling near his head. So I grabbed a paper towel and box so I could have a funeral for him, them as soon as I reached my hand in the cage to get him,he jumped away and turned a more normal brown color. What is wrong with him? Is thee anything I can do for him?

09/09/17  08:53am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321228

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/94P-3c1ZSmvzINSCier2s7dxp92UKfn9_qyf4e2vspfZRnNtmNkbTR9VXeKY9uqCZvd2bZ7-seJ48bh5n0N8U3qzq2CwNJfWEdAqkkLIrEdmyvzGgAF8X_gs_8Ye

09/09/17  08:56am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321229

Oh, he does look sick. The treatment for mouth rot requires medication and the fact he’s eating but not gaining weight tells me he may have a parasite or passing the food through too quickly to absorb nutrients (diarrhea). The tank temps are too low-- they should have a basking spot closer to the low 90’s-- and the low temps are allowing the naturally-occurring bacteria in the mouth to grow too quickly for his immune system to keep in check. Anti-biotics are needed, but since you can’s get him to a vet, you’ll have to try supportive measures. So, here’s what to do:

Separate him from your green anole-- you don’t want the infection to spread.
Get him in a tank lined with paper towel to keep track of his poop. Put a small log in there along with providing light to give him a basking area in the 90’s.
Provide vitamins and calcium for him-- these come in powdered form, and you dust his food with it. If he won’t eat, you can add water to the powder to make a slurry, and try to get him to lap that up.
Keep his tank at the right humidity level, but not damp-- too much moisture will cause the bacteria to spread, possibly to his lungs where it can cause pneumonia.

Good luck with his recovery and keep us posted.

09/09/17  09:25am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321230

I got a new lizard light that has higher wattage and the average tempaturw in the cage is now 92 for the basking spot, we also ordered medication for the lizard to help with his kouth rot, when I put the light in today he did look better already and for some reason,he is more active and out of his rock now,then when he wasn’t sick. He is a fighter so I am almost sure he will make it

09/09/17  07:05pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321233

Great work! Keep an eye on him and definitely let us know how he progresses-- other people will read your post and it’ll help them too.

09/09/17  11:13pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321236

Yeah I sure will!

09/10/17  02:09am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321236

Today he is starting to look better and his tail is not as sunken in. I gave him a few waxworms and he ate them,and so did the green anole. I think the medicine will arrive tommorow!

09/10/17  05:26am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321239

Awesome! That’s great news. Keep him warm and hydrated, and he should do fine! How has his poop been?

09/10/17  04:09pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321241

Right now he doesn’t look to good,his tail is now even scrawnier then before. I gave him 2 waxworms but he is in his rock right now so I will check on him in the morning. He has been drinking lots of water in the past few minutes,so I am glad he is staying hydrated. His poop is a bit runny also.

09/10/17  06:08pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321243

How does his mid-section look? Like his pelvic area, are the bones sticking out? Runny poop could mean an infection, so hopefully the meds will sort that problem out...

09/10/17  08:33pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321244

I have not seen him this morning but I am pretty sure he ate one of the waxworms and he is in his rock right now. His pelvic bones were sticking out a lot last time I saw him,I am thinking about maybe giving him some carrot on a toothpick for some vitamin A. And the meds arnt here yet.

09/11/17  04:20am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321245

No suggestions but I had a lizard like this and her tail fell off and I didn’t give her meds, she ran away but I am glad that she recovered, hope a miracle happens to you.

Best of luck-Anole lover07

09/11/17  06:55am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321245

Anoles are surprisingly receptive to carrot-- I usually chew it up really well and offer it on the tip of a toothpick, maybe moving it around to get their attention. Let us know how that goes. Do you have vitamin powder? You could try mixing that in.

09/11/17  08:48am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321248

I put three waxworms in the cage and I think he ate one about 2 hours ago. I just nudged him a bit and he didn’t move but eventually he realized what was going on and he jumped up and into his rock. I tried the mashed carrots on a toothpick and he licked it up but he only wanted a bit of it. Still no medication! I really hope he will be ok because I really love and care for him!

09/11/17  05:17pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321252

Do you have ReptoCal or any other reptile vitamin & calcium supplement powder? You can try giving that, most stores carry it for cheap and it’s good for them to have in their diet.

09/11/17  05:44pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321254

Oh yes I forgot to add that we do add the powder on our waxworms but it kills our crickets

09/12/17  03:14am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321255

I’ve never had it kill my crickets, but then again, I feed them right after they’re dusted-- I have, however, heard of crickets dying if you leave the powder on them too long.

09/12/17  11:05am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321256

I don’t think brownie will make it... I think he’s shedding or trying to but, he is just barely alive. I’m really going to miss him and I tried everything I could but I don’t know if he will make it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wB2we4yE143S2gqjVYyt0QkjhUPLAZA_DTpn_GamAcwUalOIJoqw6FNvxImwLdVETqmNJDp9xI1vmttdoEEV9Wy2TeZJVLP-j-k2YikuVd060OrzckX8tdhw4tCL

09/12/17  03:28pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321257

He’s starting a shed, and it’s normal for them to have a decrease in appetite and activity during this time. Just keep him warm and continue with the supportive care.

09/12/17  03:48pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321258

Ok I will but he can’t open his eyes and he is just trying to stumble around everywhere I will keep him warm and try my best to keep him happy!

09/12/17  04:27pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

The lizard has shedded hi eyelids and his mouth rot is gone on one side!!! It’s also better on the other side! His stomach is looking bigger but it’s his tail that is really skinny.

09/13/17  04:10am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

His mouth rot is now completely gone and he is starting too look a lot better! Thanks so much for the help!

09/13/17  12:08pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321262

That’s great news! The supportive care certainly made a difference, keep up the good work!

09/13/17  12:56pm

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321263

This weekend is my birthday so I decided I want to get a larger tank for the lizards and lots of new plants and things they can climb on! I am really happy that he survived this bad case of mouth rot and I will continue to get him stronger again everyday! My brown lizard also loves to hide inside rocks so I will get him some to hide in too!

09/13/17  06:34pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321265

Good work! Be sure to post a pic of the new setup and make sure his feeder insects have lots of vitamin A rich foods to eat-- the vitamins will pass to the anoles, who rely on it to fight infection and stay healthy.

09/14/17  01:25am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321266

Sadly I haven’t seen the lizard since Thursday and found him dead under his rock this morning. I did everything to ensure that the lizard survived but I guess it didn’t work. I will miss him so much and will never forget him,thank you for the help!

09/17/17  09:23am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321282

I’m sorry to hear that... Brown Anoles are usually pretty tough. I’m sure he knew you were doing something to help-- I have a female Green Anole who I’m giving eye drops for problems related to low vitamin A levels, and she seems to know they help because she’ll allow me to flush her eyes and apply the meds. Recovery isn’t an easy path.

09/17/17  10:00am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321266

I unfortunately found my lizard dead under his rock this morning, I have not seen him since Thursday and I will miss him greatly! Thank you for all the help!

09/17/17  10:50am

ScooterAnoles
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321284

I didn’t think the post went through,the last post was an accident. My green lizard seemed sad for the past few days so maybe he knew the other lizard was dead. I think the green lizard will miss him too.

09/17/17  10:53am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: ScooterAnoles   In reference to Message Id: 2321285

I’m so sorry to hear that, you tried your best and that’s what counts! I bet he’s happy you were helping him.

He’s very happy in the place he is now, hope this makes you feel better- Anole_lover07

PS. I had a brown anole lizard that passed, if you just think how happy she is now, you’ll feel a lot better... That helped me-hope this helps you

09/19/17  07:51pm

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area