Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sharkzilla   AmbuBadger   Sharkzilla   AmbuBadger   Sharkzilla   AmbuBadger   Sharkzilla   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Sharkzilla
View Profile

Help Please - Odd Stool

Hello, about two months ago I took in a rescue green anole. The anole is male with an unknown age and was given to me by a middle school biology teacher who had given him to a student. The student took horrible care of him and twelve another anoles that were all forced into the same 10 gallon tank. When he arrived he had no heat source and the entire tank was covered in runny stool. He was clearly underweight. There wasn’t a proper screen on top? It was some sort of mesh held together by paperclips! He had actually escaped the mesh nightly before I was able to get him a new top, and he would always just sleep on top of it. Every single one of the other anoles had died under the student’s care. Apparently the student wouldn’t give him crickets because the crickets killed the other anoles, so he was only being fed meal worms.

He now has a very clean tank, a new substrate and is being fed crickets and moths. His tank’s warm side is in the 80s F with a basking spot that tends to stay around 95 F. The cool side averages around 76 F. He ranges his browns and greens throughout the day - that is one of the things I’ve been slightly worried about. His behavior has been pretty normal, he runs from me when I clean the tank. I don’t handle him much because I don’t want to stress him out, but when I do, I noticed he likes to wrap around my pinky and I sometimes have a hard time putting him back. He responds well to prey and I feed him pretty often. He also is misted once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once in the evening with time to dry the tank out before bed.

Then when I was spot cleaning, I noticed a very weird stool. It had these tiny green balls all over it, they appeared pretty solid. This has been worrying me since I discovered it earlier. I can’t really afford to bring him to a vet. If there is anything I can do differently or a way to treat this problem please let me know.

08/24/17  03:17pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Sharkzilla   In reference to Message Id: 2321116

Help Please - Odd Stool

Firstly, thank you for rescuing that little guy! His color changing should not be an issue as long as there are no actual distress signs-- dark spots behind the eyes, abnormally sluggish behavior, runny stool, etc. A picture of the stool would be helpful, but offhand my guess would be either some sort of fungus growing on the stool or, because of his previous living conditions, parasites. Is it anything you recognize from his enclosure? You can email me the pics-- it’s ambubadger -at- gmail -dot- com
Second, see if he will eat mashed fruit and try offering that from a stick, and then your finger. You can get him to warm up to you by getting him to associate you with food. Maybe when you feed him, say the same thing or tap the food container as a cue each time, and he may start showing more eagerness toward you.

08/24/17  05:41pm

Sharkzilla
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321118

Help Please - Odd Stool

Thank you for responding!
It probably would’ve been smart to take a picture. My first instinct was to just clean it out of there quickly. If it happens again I will send a picture for sure. I did use a plastic spoon to kind of break the stool apart and check if there was anything weird in it. The green things would pop and release green liquid and the rest of the stool was just very dry. I cleaned up and then spent some time on google but didn’t find anything.

What kind of fruit would you recommend? I have some mango and bananas. I also have a mixture of plain yogurt, honey, mango, and banana that I offer my Crestie as a treat already made. I’m also gonna try to mix calcium in his water. He didn’t eat today which is unlike him and I can’t tell if he drank or not but I sprayed water right in front of him and tried to give him lots of privacy.

He spent more of today on the top of his favorite plant to sleep on, which is more hidden. He also made no attempts to hunt a moth that I placed in his tank which isn’t like him, but I also might be overreacting and he could of just not noticed it or not of been hungry. He did come out for a little bit to bask. I luckily have never seen dark spots around his eyes, usually when he turns brown the outside of his eyes tend to stay green like eye shadow.

I have mostly left him alone since I made that post. I checked how he is really quick before posting this and he is sleeping the way he usually does, curled up on his favorite plant and green.

I guess I’ll attempt some fruit and calcium water as a precaution and wait for that next stool to see how he is doing.

08/24/17  07:26pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Sharkzilla   In reference to Message Id: 2321119

Help Please - Odd Stool

Hmm, maybe it’s bile? I’ve never heard of this, unless it’s some sort of super tiny fertilizer from the plants that he passed. Anyways, you can try the fruit-- I’ve had luck with banana, mango, and-- surprisingly-- carrots! If he doesn’t take anything in, then you can mix water & calcium/vitamin powder together and perhaps get him to take that. If he’s sick, anything with a hard shell will tax his immune system. Keep us posted!

08/24/17  08:27pm

Sharkzilla
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321120

Help Please - Odd Stool

He has looked very terrible today. He appears so much thinner so suddenly and he had black around his eyes for the majority of the morning. I tried to get him to drink and eat and although he showed interest, he would not try to. He also is dropping stool a lot more, thankfully it at least all looks normal.

He is active which is the only thing positive about his behavior. He does move around the tank and climb to bask and so forth. Later in the day the black near his eyes went away and he has greened up a few times ( I know colors don’t matter that much but I’m kind of just taking whatever positive signs I can find I guess.)

I tried to give him the banana but he didn’t want it. I attempted to give him water several times. Do you think if I tried a different bug he may take to it? I was wondering if I could get him to maybe eat a waxworm since they’re fatty and he has just dropped so much weight so suddenly. I have only ever fed him moths and crickets, so perhaps it would be easier for him to take without the legs / wings?

Is there anything you’d suggest? I really don’t want to lose him. I haven’t had him long or bonded with him well like my other pets but animal deaths always break my heart.

08/25/17  03:31pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Sharkzilla   In reference to Message Id: 2321123

Help Please - Odd Stool

Oh, the black around the eyes is definitely a sign of distress. With him dropping more stool, I suspect he’s either fighting a virus or has a parasite in there. In either case, the care is mostly supportive-- so keeping him warm and trying to keep him hydrated are key. If he won’t take water, try holding him in your hand and slowly immersing him up to his shoulders in warm water. He’ll absorb some of the fluid, and the warmth will help move along whatever is in his digestive tract. If he does start lapping up water, see if he’ll take Pedialyte or any other generic electrolyte fluid. Try soaking him ten minutes at a time. Does his belly look normal? Also, as for other food items, feel free to try anything you think he’d take. Also keep an eye on your other beardies for illness in case something is in the food.

08/25/17  05:14pm

Sharkzilla
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321124

Help Please - Odd Stool

He is doing a lot better! Since the last time I messaged you he put about 2 grams back on. He looks much healthier than before. He gave me a scare last night though, was sleeping in a very odd position with his eyes half open all droopy, thought the poor guy had passed and when I went to scoop him up he jumped and looked at me like I was a jerk for waking him up!!

I’m still having problems with him seeming stressed. He doesn’t black his eyes as much but is constantly brown, at least it has been a much lighter brown. He seems more occupied with basking and has been positioning himself so he is up against the heat. The thing is, the temperature for his basking lamp is around 95 and his tank’s warmer side is in the 80s, the cooler is in the 70s. I don’t see how he could be too cold, is this just a behavior that helps them feel better when ill? He is taking fluids and eating again but he still not as active or happy as he was prior. I’m hoping he just needs more recovery time.

08/27/17  03:23pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Sharkzilla   In reference to Message Id: 2321142

Help Please - Odd Stool

Ah, he sounds much, much better overall. My girl and I got a good laugh out of your comment about him looking at you like a jerk-- we get that look too, especially when we’re checking up on them at night with a flashlight! We call it the "anole stare". Anyway, light brown coloration isn’t a big issue, perhaps he’s blending in or using the darker shade to absorb more heat. I also have noticed their color brightens with their activity level-- mine will practically glow green when chasing life food in their tank! I feel it’s linked to their circulatory system, since they seem brown when sluggish, but it doesn’t explain why they’re green when fully asleep. In any case, keep up the good work!

08/27/17  03:51pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area