Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amaerius   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Amaerius   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Amaerius
View Profile

Anole rehab - help!

Hi folks,

I’m a fishkeeper and have dabbled with leopard geckos in the past (still have all the equipment), but I have a green anole that has made its way into my home. Normally I’d just let it back out into the wild, but it appears ill - brown, stressed, and emaciated. Almost looks like MBD in leo’s. Any suggestions on what to do to nurse this little guy back to health, or just cut him loose and let mother nature run her course?

I can’t seem to make the image attachment work, it’s at https://ibb.co/nztNhF

08/13/17  06:36am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: Amaerius   In reference to Message Id: 2321044

Anole rehab - help!

I am not really an anole expert but if he is ill you should probably take him in.....there rarely is brown green anoles in the wild, try to feed live ants to him and try have a lot of misting so he can get hydrated by licking droplets off the walls, and have no sand at the bottom because it can get inside of them and cause problems.

Hope this helps-Anole lover07

08/13/17  09:33am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Amaerius   In reference to Message Id: 2321044

Anole rehab - help!

He looks dehydrated, but would probably recover with a little help from you. The main thing is getting water on board. Don’t worrying too much about food right now, the digestion process takes fluid from the body. Keep him warm with a bulb set over the tank, maybe 90 degrees F at most, and use a spray bottle to mist him and the tank with water so he can lick the droplets-- don’t make the tank too wet though as any water in his ear canal can cause infection. The tank should have a live or fake plant for the droplets to collect on. If you’re able to handle him safely and if he isn’t lapping up water on his own, you can hold him in your hand and gently soak him in warm water. He will absorb some of it. If you have vitamin powder, you can mix it with water so he will get some nutrients at least. Dab a chopstick or toothpick in the mixture and see if he will lap it up when placed by his nose. Finally, if he does take the water, see if he will eat mashed up fruit, or even baby food. Soft foods are best at this time.

08/13/17  10:49am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321047

Anole rehab - help!

Hi AmbuBager, thanks for posting and giving information. I’ve learned sooooooo much

Thanks-Anole lover07

08/13/17  03:49pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321052

Anole rehab - help!

No worries, Anole Lover 07!

08/13/17  07:07pm

Amaerius
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321053

Anole rehab - help!

Thank you to both of you! (S)he appears to be resting comfortably at this time, will go to the pet store tomorrow for necessary supplies. Hopefully this little guy can make a nice healthy recovery and return to the wild.

08/13/17  07:25pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Amaerius   In reference to Message Id: 2321054

Anole rehab - help!

Thanks for taking the little guy in. You’ll probably be nursing him back to health for a month or two, just a heads’ up, but in his current condition he surely would’ve died out there!

08/13/17  08:00pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area