Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   Bill McNuggets   Bill McNuggets   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets  

Member  Message

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

My Brown anole has a Bump on her side!

So a few months ago I decided to get a companion for my green anole, who I won at the fair, I got a brown anole, she lives in a 20 gallon tank with a green anole, the temp and humidity is right. but just recently I noticed the brown anole getting a little fat and she now has a small bump on her side just in front of her bottom right leg. does anybody know whats wrong?

08/11/17  04:15pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321026

Is there anything in the tank that she might ingest and not pass through her digestive system? Brown anoles are aggressive-- they will charge after food items and could easily ingest small rocks which will get stuck in the digestive system. Another possibility is that she has a dud egg inside, recently ate a large meal, or has a parasite/injury in that area. Do you have a pic?

08/11/17  05:20pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321028

It could be substrate but don’t they wipe of any dirt that’s in their food? (my green one does)... if she ate a cricket that was too big would/could it cause impaction?

Thanks for the reply!

08/12/17  05:01am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321036

A cricket that is too large could cause impaction. Your brown anole is too small to operate on for most vets, so the care you’ll provide is mostly supportive. Anoles rely on heat to breakdown and digest their food-- so make sure the temps in her tank are adequate and that she has access to her own basking spot. She may need to be separated from your green anole for her to feel a little more comfortable during this time. Also use this chance to replace any dirt-like substrate with carpet/felt. In some aquarium shops you can find square tiles of fake grass and leaves-- I line the bottom of my tanks with these as they won’t get eaten and are easy to remove for cleaning. I’ve even had anoles lay eggs in them, and the hatchlings are able to safely hide from the adults in there (until I move them to a suitable tank).

If she’s tame enough, you can also try holding her in your hand and gently soaking her in warm water for up to ten minutes at a time. Keep the water below her upper arms as any that gets into her ear canal can lead to infection. The warm water will help move things along in her digestive system, and she can absorb some moisture since the disgestive process does require fluid. Definitely make sure she’s drinking water during this time. If the humidity levels in your area are too low and you don’t have a dripper or humidifier system, you can leave a glass of water with one end of string of yarn in it and the other placed lower, preferably on a hard surface. The idea is that the water will soak the yarn and give her a drinking supply that doesn’t require you to be there to spray her. Good luck! And don’t worry too much about feeding her for now, more food could make it worse and use up more fluids.

Ah, one more thing-- keep an eye on her poop, it’ll tell you how healthy she is. Also look for anything that shouldn’t be there. Vets use a microscope to look for parasites in poop, but you may be able to see larger ones with your eyes or a magnifying glass.

08/12/17  09:18am

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321041

Thanks for the advice! I’ve seen the brown anole and the green anole cuddling together (so cute!) so It didn’t cross my mind that she felt uncomfortable and needed to bask more, currently she is on the cooler side of the tank... I guess ill move the green anole to my spare 10 gallon for now. since I think this is mostly temporary could I just use paper towels as a substrate until I can get a reptile carpet?

Thank you!

08/12/17  10:31am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321042

Yes, paper towels are fine. They’re great because you’ll easily be able to examine her poop and get an idea how much she’s making, with none obviously meaning an obstruction is possible. Also, I’m not sure if they cuddle-- at least not how we humans do. I’ve seen my dominant males climb on another anole in their territory and I see this more as "I’m the boss of this tank and to prove it, I’ll climb on you and you’re going to just sit there and take it." Just keep an eye out for signs of fighting, like bite marks (black V-shaped marks on the skin) and nip marks on the tail.

08/12/17  01:29pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321043

So I left her in the tank for a few hours by herself I also rearranged it so there is multiple good basking spots for both lizards. but after awhile I noticed the other lizard wasn’t very happy in his temporary ten gallon tank as he was almost turning black so I moved him in. unfortunately I couldn’t collect a poop as she wasn’t really eating. But she did drink and the yarn trick works a lot better than I thought! But lets say it is an obstruction, would you take care of it as you explained earlier?
Thanks for the advice!

08/13/17  11:54am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321048

Yes, warm soaks and a fluid diet is the way to go. I would have no idea how to dose laxatives for something as small as an anole! Good luck! You could also try using a q-tip to massage her belly and maybe help soften it to pass.

08/13/17  12:36pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321050

Okay thanks! So She isn’t that tame but I guess we’ll try to do something today. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes!

Thank you for the help!

08/14/17  04:45am

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321056

Okay I got some of her poop... Is there anything that I should look for in it?

08/17/17  06:36am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321077

Yes. Check the color-- it should be dark brown with the white nub on one end, which is phosphate and urea. It is has that and is also wet when fresh, then she’s getting enough water. Look through the poop and see if there’s any worms in it. Anything beyond that needs a microscope to check for parasites.

08/17/17  11:44am

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321078

Okay Thanks!

08/17/17  12:38pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321079

OMG lol... it turns out she was pregnant! ha.

08/18/17  02:37pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321082

But thanks for the help and the reply!

08/18/17  02:38pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bill McNuggets   In reference to Message Id: 2321083

Ah, so it was an egg! If it’s yellowish, then it was a dud and she may eat it to reclaim the calcium. If not and it fills out and turns white, then you might see a hatchling in there after a month or so.

08/18/17  04:37pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321085

I took the egg out to incubate it but after a few hours the egg looked "deflated" or flat, like it wasn’t round.... Anyway I’m gonna make a new forum thread thingy on this so...

Thanks for the help!

08/19/17  05:30am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area