Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   Iluvharrypotter  

Member  Message

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Helpppppp is my anole sick

Hi again, sorry for posting a lot but this is an emergency. Will, my green anole has been very sluggish and dark brown with spots, this morning I turned his heatlamp on, ate breakfast, and took care of my cats. That took about an hour,but he was in the same spot he was in when I turned his heatlamp on, he moved to his tree a while after and has been on it since, I check every once and a while on him and he’s dark brown. I just got calcium powder from the pet store, he had never had calcium powder. And I’ve had him for a couple months.

Thanks for any help-Anole lover07

08/07/17  01:27pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321006

Has Will been eating normally? How about water, how do you provide him with it? Does he make poop regularly? And does he have a UVB bulb? Anoles may be sluggish before shedding or unhappy with their environment. Please let us know how his tank currently set up and has there been any recent changes.

08/07/17  05:04pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321007

I haven’t seen him eat in a long time, Will has a water dish and is misted 3-4 times a day. I haven’t seen much poop around the tank, he has a 75 watt bulb. I cleaned the cage a couple days ago but I put everything in the same exact spot,his tree in the middle, his ivy in the back, rocks in the corner, and his water dish on the other corner, maybe he doesn’t recognize me and doesn’t feel comfortable, I just got a short haircut. He just got calcium powder and maybe doesn’t like it....I noticed him getting skinnier.

Thanks for all the help-Anole lover07

08/07/17  06:18pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321008

What kinds of food have you been offering him?

08/07/17  08:01pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321009

Mealworms and crickets, crickets with calcium powder

08/08/17  06:37am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321011

I’ve had luck with chewing up a piece of carrot until it’s very soft, and placing a bit of it on the end of a toothpick for my anoles. You could try that, and if he takes it, at least he’ll be getting lots of Vitamin A. You can also mix the calcium powder with water and see if he laps that up when he drinks next time-- it doesn’t have to be a lot, you don’t want it to be pasty or thick because he may not like the taste. Also, have you tried removing him from his enclosure and letting him sit someplace in the sun?

08/08/17  08:50am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321012

I’ll try the carrot thing, and he usually licks water off his ivy leaves so should I mix it in with his spray bottle? And I am kinda scared to handle him because he is very fast, I really don’t want him to run away, today I pet his tail a bit...would that help me get used to him? Thank you for all the help

Thanks-Anole lover07

08/08/17  05:53pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321013

For the calcium, you can put a little powder in bottle cap or spoon and add water to it. The water should look milky white, but not thick at all. Use a toothpick or straw to leave droplets on the leaves where he usually licks it up. As for holding him, you may find it easier to place his tank outside for an hour at a time to get sunlight rather than removing him from it. If the tank is a fully enclosed glass one, maybe try only a half hour since the heat can spike quickly in there. Trying to get him to go on your hand before he’s ready will cause a lot of stress. When he’s healthy again, you can get him used to you by spending more time around him in the room, talking to him when you feed him, and letting him observe you placing food in his tank. Eventually he will come to your hand to eat, and may even hop on to grab his meal. When he’s comfortable, he will stay there to eat. They’re cold-blooded, so they can definitely feel the difference in temperature when they set foot on you. This can be an advantage, especially in the morning when they’re a little sluggish and their body temp is lower.

08/08/17  08:53pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321015

Thanks for all the help!! But sadly today I noticed a weird marking on his nose it took me a while to figure out what it was, and he had a grey nose!! This morning I tried the carrot thing, he wanted no part of that.....should I put it out mashed up or will it only work on a stick. I hope he’s not sick

Thanks-Anole lover07

08/09/17  06:30am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321017

Sorry for no thanks replying sooner, I missed your update! Is the gray color possibly due to skin that is either just starting to shed or did not come off completely? The carrot may not always work, or he may just need to be hungry to try taking it. Don’t give up with it yet, and as for offering it on a stick, that’s what I do-- they don’t seem to take anything that isn’t moving on its own.

08/11/17  10:18pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321017

Sorry, the message should read "sorry for not replying sooner"

08/11/17  10:21pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321034

Ok, thank you I’ll keep you posted

08/12/17  06:04am

Iluvharrypotter
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2321040

You know anoles change colors right mines changed from dif shades of green dif shades brown and one shade of yellow
His/her name is harrypotter it will climb on me

08/15/17  12:35am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area