Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   Bill McNuggets   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Unhappy green anole...again...

Our green anole is still unhappy and I’m at a loss. I’ve posted here a few times before and you’ve all been so helpful. Our inherited class pet, Geico, has now been brown (with the dark marks behind his eyes) for days. He was brown at the end of the school year, then I managed to get him to stay mostly green for a month or so, and now the past few weeks he’s been brown. I feel bad that he might be unhappy : (

Here are the details of his setup and care. If anyone sees something I could change/improve, please let me know. Thanks!

- 10 gallon vertical tank, a few real plants (dracanea), mostly fake plants. Reptisoil bottom. Shelf-style magnetic basking rock. Windy vine-type thing for him to crawl on. Small water dish, for humidity. I had some sphagnum moss on the bottom, but the crickets just hide in it and I was worried that he wasn’t eating, so I removed it.
- Temp in basking spot (rock that sticks to glass with magnet) is around 100. Non-basking is low to mid 70’s.
- Humidity likes to drop into high 30s or 40s if I don’t mist 3-4 times daily. Water is non-tap. I’ve taped Ziploc bags over the part of the screen that doesn’t have the light on it, in an attempt to trap the humidity.
- Feed 4-5 medium crickets dusted with Vit.D every day or two. When I see there’s only one or two left, I give him more. I check in the middle of the night and they don’t appear to be bothering him (I keep a little cricket food and a water pillow in the tank for them).
- I have seen him shed a handful of times in the 2 months we’ve had him, so I hope that’s a good sign.
- I haven’t done a complete scrubbing of his tank yet. I will spot clean and take out old cricket food, dead crickets as needed.
- Lights are a 6 watt Zola mini compact fluorescent UVA/UVB (the next size up was making his basking spot 120 degrees, which the pet store said was too hot), and some other tiny little bulb which I can’t recall the exact name of (it’s the kind you aren’t supposed to touch with your hands and it’s got a bluish tint). It burned out a few weeks ago so I bought a new one.
- He hates me : ( lol. He freaks out when I do anything with his t

08/05/17  05:00pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2320992

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to go back and read the other two posts you put up to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Did you have any luck with setting up a bottle to let water drip down into one of the plants? I’ll repost what you listed, along with my suggestions

- 10 gallon vertical tank, a few real plants (dracanea), mostly fake plants. Reptisoil bottom. Shelf-style magnetic basking rock. Windy vine-type thing for him to crawl on. Small water dish, for humidity. I had some sphagnum moss on the bottom, but the crickets just hide in it and I was worried that he wasn’t eating, so I removed it.
It may be the tank size. Ten gallons is the absolute minimum for one anole, and I feel many pet shops tell new owners this because they don’t want to scare off a customer with the price of a larger tank. I only use a ten gallon for quarantine or hatchlings. It’s too small for an adult male. You can either find a larger tank on Craigslist, convert an old glass curio cabinet into a new place for him, or even have him free roaming. I have two fake orchids on my bathroom sink with a pothos on top of the medicine cabinet. The pothos vine hangs down to the orchid, and believe it or not, I have a male & female that live in there like that. Not suitable for everyone, and Geico might be a bit too skittish at the moment for that sort of setup. With all the plants and basking areas in his tank, it sounds like he is a bit overcrowded in there. The crickets shouldn’t be left in there at all. There’s another person posting here who had her anole attacked at night by crickets that were left in the tank, and the wounds became infected. It’s best to put them in a bowl they can’t crawl out of, and remove what he doesn’t eat. The ReptiSoil, if small enough for him to eat, could pose a bowel obstruction problem, especially since it contains sand. If you’re using it as soil for the plants, try to cover the exposed areas with the moss. If Geico sees a cricket and goes for it, he may ingest something he cannot pass, became constipated, and die. It would be fine to have the plants posted and simply use green felt as a carpet for the tank.

- Temp in basking spot (rock that sticks to glass with magnet) is around 100. Non-basking is low to mid 70’s.
Low 90’s is probably better-- too high risks burns and it also dries out the tank.

- Humidity likes to drop into high 30s or 40s if I don’t mist 3-4 times daily. Water is non-tap. I’ve taped Ziploc bags over the part of the screen that doesn’t have the light on it, in an attempt to trap the humidity.
Decreasing the heat with a lower wattage bulb would help keep the tank from drying out. You could also set up a humidifier or have water slowly drip into the plants from a glass with a piece of yarn in it.

- Feed 4-5 medium crickets dusted with Vit.D every day or two. When I see there’s only one or two left, I give him more. I check in the middle of the night and they don’t appear to be bothering him (I keep a little cricket food and a water pillow in the tank for them).
Crickets aren’t good to be left in the tank. My friend lost his Gold Dust Day Gecko to a bunch-- they stripped the poor thing down to the bones. Also, the presence of the crickets hanging around may decrease his interest in eating. If I have an anole with appetite issues, I’ll place the cricket container near his tank for an hour or so prior to feeding. He’s usually interested by that point after watching them just outside of his reach. These lizards hunt in the wild, they’re not fed-- so sometimes you have to make it seem like food is scarce before they take interest.

- I have seen him shed a handful of times in the 2 months we’ve had him, so I hope that’s a good sign.
This is good :)

- I haven’t done a complete scrubbing of his tank yet. I will spot clean and take out old cricket food, dead crickets as needed.
Use the chance to do an overhaul and minimize the clutter when you put things back.

- Lights are a 6 watt Zola mini compact fluorescent UVA/UVB (the next size up was making his basking spot 120 degrees, which the pet store said was too hot), and some other tiny little bulb which I can’t recall the exact name of (it’s the kind you aren’t supposed to touch with your hands and it’s got a bluish tint). It burned out a few weeks ago so I bought a new one.
If the temperature in your area is in the mid to upper 80’s, try using just the UVB bulb. Since you’re dustinghis food already, you could try stopping UVB lighting for a few days to see if that changes anything.

- He hates me
He needs to get used to seeing you. I give new anoles and geckos a few days in a new setup to get used to it, then have them inside the living room to start realizing that people walking around them is a normal thing. I talk to them and try to establish audio and visual patterns to feed times-- I’ll tap the food container and they’ll see me holding the tongs I grab the food with, and they learn that those actions = feeding time.

08/05/17  10:21pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320993

Thank you SO much!! Lots of things for me to try! Another question - he now looks like he has white spots on his body (he is dark brown at the moment) : ( Any idea of what the white spots are? I never noticed them when he was green, but maybe that’s because they weren’t as noticeable?

08/06/17  02:58pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321000

When anoles are distressed, they’ll be brown with the dark spots behind the eyes and often have speckled black and light green scales throughout their bodies. The spots are usually just one scale, and quite evenly-spaced apart. The black ones are most often visible on the belly. How’s he doing today? I just found a hatchlings in my terrarium, so I now have three little ones in addiction to the adults I’ve got running around my apartment!

08/06/17  04:17pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321001

Wow! That is so cool that the anoles just live out in the "open", so to speak! They stay there and don’t run all over the house? lol

He’s the same :( So far I’ve tried changing up the way he’s fed (offer crickets in a shallow, non-escapable dish and don’t let them roam free in the tank), but I don’t think he has eaten since I have switched to this. I took one of the plants out to reduce clutter. I tried playing with the lights, but it got too cold in his tank, so I put it back. I did move the basking area down a bit so perhaps it’s not as hot because it is not as close to the light (right now the gauge above the basking area reads 90). I moved his tank from our game room area to the living room. There is more traffic in the living room and the table is sturdier, I was wondering if perhaps the game room table was shaking when people walked by and it bothered him.

He has jumped out of his tank twice this week when I’ve opened the door to mist or feed. Thankfully, I was able to catch him both times. But he is clearly upset and freaked out about something.

Next on my list: Find a 20 gallon tank (does it make a huge difference if it’s not vertical? I was under the impression that anoles much preferred a vertical setup). I’m going to stop using the Reptisoil and replace it with the reptile carpet. This will come with a deep clean of everything.

08/09/17  01:58pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321019

It’s a shame he doesn’t seem happy. Perhaps he never got used to living in a tank? The fact he tried to escape isn’t good. Does he have a certain spot in the tank that he hangs out at? Are there any other pets in the home, like a cat or dog that may be bothering Geico while you’re away? Another possibility is he’s sick with parasites, but you’d need a microscope to examine his poop or would have to take his stool sample to a vet for examination. Finally, and this might sound odd... do you wear a lot of yellow? Ive noticed anoles don’t like yellow at all-- perhaps they associate it with wasps and bees, and instinctively get anxious around the color. Is there anything yellow in his environment?

I have a fake orchid on my bathroom sink and a pothos vine on top the vanity. A male and female live there, and they don’t try to escape. They’re also fine with is brushing our teeth or having me shave next to them, but I also don’t have cats or dogs in my place. Geico may try to escape in this setup, but you can always try the 20 gallon tank instead. Green anoles do better in vertical tanks, so you could either turn it on end or check Craigslist for one that suits your needs. PetCo and other shops sell the mesh tank lids, you’ll just have to be careful when you remove the whole thing to access the tank.

08/09/17  02:40pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321020

So - I gave his tank a huge cleaning out, and we put him in a clear Rubbermaid tote with a lid during the cleaning. He turned green! Put him back in his tank - he turned brown. Experimented today and put him in the tote again, he went from brown to green and back to brown when he went back in his tank. I put a couple crickets in the tote, and he seemed scared of them....
:(

No yellow. The 20 gallon tank on end, with mesh screen, seems worth a try. I don’t mind spending the money if he will be happy!

08/11/17  04:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321024

Ah, did you put the same plants in the tote with him? I suppose it is possible that the stuff in his tank is what he doesn’t acgree with. What makes the tote different?

08/11/17  05:13pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321027

No plants, just an empty tote.

08/11/17  05:53pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321029

Would it be possible to see if Geico stays green in an empty tank? The only other thing I can think of is the tank has a scent that’s bothering him.

08/11/17  05:57pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321030

Good idea. I’ll take everything out of the tank tomorrow morning and see how he reacts. After that, I can put things back slowly one by one throughout the day, I suppose, and see what happens. I guess I can’t have him living in a Rubbermaid tote, can I? lol!

08/11/17  07:17pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321031

How big is the tote? It would be a shame to get a larger tank only to find he stays brown... maybe you could also put the same items in his tote, see if he stays green, then put those items in his tank and see if he accepts it that way. I’m assuming he is otherwise healthy?

08/11/17  08:25pm

Bill McNuggets
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320993

My green anole was brown in a ten gallon tank so it may be the tank size...

08/12/17  05:04am

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321032

The tote is small, about half the size of his ten gallon tank.

So - today I put him in the tote again, again he instantly turned green. I then put his main plastic plant in the tote. He crawled up on it and then turned brown with the spots behind his eyes. Then, I took him off the plant, took plant out and waited for him to turn green again, which he did. Now, I’ve got one of his other plants in the tote. He crawled up in the plant about 5 minutes ago and is still green for now. Will see what happens. I may have to try replicating this experiment in his tank as well. So much work for a teeny little lizard, but he’s so cute and also, I want to take good care of him!

08/13/17  12:15pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321049

Lol, what an interesting little fella! Let us know what happens! Perhaps there’s something on that plant he doesn’t like...

08/13/17  02:40pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321051

Yeah, he’s interesting all right! LOL! Update - I put him back in his tank without the "offending" plant and he turned brown and unhappy looking again. I think it’s time for me to try a new tank.

08/14/17  06:30am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321057

Before buying anything new, try cleaning and rinsing the tank very well-- nothing harsh or corrosive, and make sure to thoroughly rinse the tank to clear out any trace of anything that Geico might be able to smell. You know how you can smell something stinky in your house, even though it may be small? Like a tiny piece of leftover shrimp that somehow missed the trash can? That’s kinda the same situation-- Geico might be smelling something in the tank and that one plant that’s irritating.

08/14/17  09:49am

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2321059

Thanks! Okay - so tried the tank cleaning and no luck. I then bit the bullet and bought a 20 gallon vertical tank. It’s pretty dang nice, if I do say so myself. lol. This was yesterday afternoon. He’s been GREEN since then! - but tonight I couldn’t find him after nearly 30 minutes of looking. I took his tank apart because I was afraid he was either dead or somehow pulled a Houdini. I finally looked inside this big branch-type thing that I bought yesterday (it’s suction cupped to the side of the tank about 3/4 of the way up) and voila! Geico! That stinker. lol. Anyways - he was light brown with a tinge of green. Definitely not the dark brown like before, and he was probably annoyed that I jostled him around. I thought it was weird that he was hiding in the log like that. Does that sound odd??

I should mention that his new tank is a bit cooler since I am using the ten gallon light fixture for the new 20 gallon tank. Hot spot is 80 and the rest of the tank is 70. There is a darker corner of the tank, but not sure if that makes any difference? I was planning to watch him for a few days to see how he reacts to the temp. But - if he’s going to hide on me, I might not be able to tell : )

08/15/17  05:17pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2321072

Ah, he does sound happier! And you might be on to something regarding the heat-- I had a nice setup, but the anoles stayed brown. Once I drilled vent holes and set up a small fan to pull out the hot air, they all greened up!

08/15/17  05:24pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area