Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Angelrox615   AmbuBadger   Angelrox615   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Angelrox615
View Profile

New member with Sick Anole- Need advice!

hello I am a new member here and have read your anole care sheets and forum threads. I currently have 2 green anoles, a male and female.
I am very worried about one of my anoles. My male (about 2 years old) Green Anole Lizard(Pickle) was attacked about 3 week ago in the night by pinhead crickets. I had an emergency with one of my children and had to ask a family member to care for my anoles. This person i trusted to watch him for 2 nights didn’t follow directions and left the crickets in the tank with my 2 anoles overnight. Long story short he had dropped his tail and had bites near his eye and elbow which i cleaned with witch hazel and antibiotic ointment that healed nicely. Since then he has been very lethargic and sleepy all the time. He hasn’t eaten crickets since this happened, when i put him in his feeding tank with 1 or 2 crickets with he seems to close his eyes and shut down. He has been drinking water,eating wax worms on his own and baby food fruit when hand fed only . He has been sleeping almost constantly and now today i noticed 2 small lumps near his right eye, one under his eye and another under that one on the side of his mouth.Im not sure if this is an infection or parasites or what is causing the lumps. I cannot afford to take him to the vet at this time. His Stool looks normal ,he has shed his skin the humidity in the tank is perfect. I am very worried about him and wonder if I should quarantine him from, as our other anole doesnt have any symptoms and is fine. Please Any advice you can share would be Greatly appreciated.

08/04/17  11:26pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Angelrox615   In reference to Message Id: 2320987

Okay, it sounds like you’re doing a lot of the right things so far, but let’s go ahead and place him in a separate tank for now. What do the bumps look like? Cricket bites will leave open wounds. These can get infected, and symptoms of this would be swelling around the bite areas as well as fluid draining and dead tissue in the surrounding area. I am hesitant to suggest cleaning it without seeing what it looks like and especially with the proximity to the eyes and mouth. The good news is that he’s eating and drinking. Make sure he has a clean environment to recover in, and perhaps give some vitamin/calcium powder with his meals or even with his water to help him recover. Hold off on stressing his digestive system with hard-shelled food items, so maybe save the waxworms unless you see a freshly molted one with a soft shell (usually clear or white) and continue with the baby food. Also be sure to provide warmth and perhaps place the tank in a quieter side of the room to aid in recovery. Finally, you may be able to offer crickets later on-- perhaps he remembers being bitten and doesn’t exactly like being around them at the moment. Could you upload a pic? You can also email me-- it’s my username, all one word, @gmail.com

08/05/17  01:57am

Angelrox615
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320988

Thank you for your response. I agree with you about the crickets. His condition seems to have gotten worse over last night and today-He has not moved at all since yesterday afternoon. He is continually asleep and dark brown now. I got a seperate enclosure ready to place him into but I am hesitant to disturb him as he doesnt look well at all. I will take a few pics after sending this message.

08/05/17  03:16pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Angelrox615   In reference to Message Id: 2320991

I saw your email and pics, and it appears he has an infection or possibly a parasite. The cricket bites are easily vectors for either, and it would explain the sudden weight loss I saw in your pictures. It’s unfortunate that the person you trusted to take care of Pickle didn’t remove the crickets, but right now just continue to keep him comfortable. If anyone out there has experience with treating abscesses in anoles without a vet, please chime in.

08/05/17  10:26pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area