Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jen in Austin   AmbuBadger   Jen in Austin   AmbuBadger   Jen in Austin   Jen in Austin   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Jen in Austin
View Profile

Anole first aid?

I rescued a baby anole from my pet hen yesterday. The beak mark creased below his head and his arm has a tear down it but still intact but may not be usable. Ants were getting him and he flung himself from a high shelf outside so brought in for night. Found him belly up and cold in small cap of water this morning so giving water from dripping cotton swab; he puts his head up to it but does not necessarily open mouth. He is in portable reptile holder with heating pad on low underneath with small amount of new clean mulch and living plant in jar so leaves cover him a little. Released small insect & will try to catch fruit fly but he is not that mobile...Have snake raising background but wondering about anything else and if recovery is possible. Thanks!

08/02/17  12:20pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Jen in Austin   In reference to Message Id: 2320958

Anole first aid?

Due to the trauma caused by the hen, there may be internal injuries. Signs of this would be bruising under the skin and black spots on the skin where the beak made contact. The fact that he cannot hold his head up and was on his back is concerning, so don’t be surprised if he doesn’t make it. Now, that being said... he may recover with your help. It will be a slow, long path, but he may pull through. Continue to offer water via cotton swab. He won’t drink from a dish as anoles usually lap up droplets off of leaves. The heating pad is nice, but not ideal. See if you can position a light bulb over him instead, using an incandescent bulb which will proved the needed heat. His body will be dependent on heat to metabolize meals and recover, even more so now that he’s trying to heal. He should also have a shaded area to take cover from the heat and give him privacy-- stress will make his recovery harder. In the evening, you may opt to cover his tank with a towel to cut down on the light and noise if he’s in the same room with you and you’re watching TV or doing other things.

As for feeding, avoid anything with a hard shell-- freshly molted crickets & mealworms are fine, since their shell hasn’t hardened yet. They will appear clear or white. Gnats, fruit flies, drain flies, and pinhead crickets are all fine as well, and you could try offering fruits or carrots (I had an anole that loved mashed carrots). IMPORTANT: mash up anything you feed him. If you have a gnat or drain fly, they should be small enough as-is, but anything larger should be smoothed up into a paste for now. This will make it easier for him to swallow and digest, and digestion takes a lot of fluid from their system. You don’t want him to get dehydrated. Offer the food at the end of a toothpick. You may try leaving the food on the tip of his nose, hopefully he’ll lick it off to clean himself and take it in.

Hydration is important, especially now. Watch for signs of dehydration such as sunken eyes, lethargy, and tenting of his bones around the spine and pelvis. It’s normal to see ribs on a healthy anole, but if his spine is popping out and his belly looks caved inward, then he isn’t getting enough fluid and nutrition. Finally, if you have powdered vitamins and calcium, you can supplement his diet by adding it to his food or water. If you can’t find small bugs, make a slurry with the vitamin powder and some water, and dab that on his nose. Good luck!

08/02/17  12:45pm

Jen in Austin
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320959

Anole first aid?

Thank you! What wonderful tips. He can hold his head up. Good to know about mashed food like carrots and toothpick. I am doing a lot of this but can do more so he has a chance hopefully

08/02/17  01:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Jen in Austin   In reference to Message Id: 2320964

Anole first aid?

Please keep us updated! It’ll serve as a reference for others in the future! Keeping his head up is a good sign-- from my experience, an anole that is still mentally sharp & aware has a good chance whereas one whose mentation drops tends to have a poorer prognosis.

08/02/17  05:19pm

Jen in Austin
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320966

Anole first aid?

Good news he made it through the night, even moved to another area across his tiny enclosure under a green leaf. A problem is his front arm is browning and curling in, so it is useless. He occasionally flips over on his belly because of the imbalance and needs flipping back. He crawls into my hand for warmth and ate a mashed carrot piece yesterday, maybe accidentally with water, but it went in! Concerned I am away all day and my heating pad turns off, but he is by a window. Unfortunately discovered my old snake undertank heater and bulb no longer works so trying to pull what he needs together with what I have. Thanks!

08/03/17  06:45am

Jen in Austin
View Profile

Message To: Jen in Austin   In reference to Message Id: 2320970

Anole first aid?

How often is ideal to provide water from swab? How long in hot strong Texas sun when I get home today since light as of now is insufficient?

08/03/17  11:17am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Jen in Austin   In reference to Message Id: 2320971

Anole first aid?

Okay, that’s great news! Don’t worry so much about the arm. It will probably brown and drop off on its own, at most you may have to snip it off. Also, keep an eye out for infection, we can’t risk having that spread to the rest of his body. Austin TX, right? It should be hot enough there for him as-is, just make sure your tank has a ventilated top. Depending on humidity, you may be able to get away with spraying droplets on the live plant two or three times a day if possible. You could try leaving a cotton ball/piece of felt in a bottle cap with water to keep the humidity up (the fabric prevents him from drowning in it), and he may even lick water from it. Another trick is to give him water from a string or piece of yarn, preferably a color like red or orange since they seem to see it well. Once he’s used to it, you can put a glass of water on his tank with one end of the yarn in it and the other hanging down into his tank. The water will follow the yarn and stay damp. I’ve "watered" anoles and geckos this way while on trips. I also use cool mist humidifiers on timers to keep the tank cool and a little humid on a daily basis as I work 24hr shifts, but not everyone is able to find them reasonably priced in their area. Keep up the good work!

08/04/17  12:29am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area