Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Izzyfizzy   Izzyfizzy   Izzyfizzy   AmbuBadger   Izzyfizzy   AmbuBadger   Izzyfizzy   Izzyfizzy   Izzyfizzy   Izzyfizzy   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

I think my brown anole laid an egg!!!!!!!

ok so this morning i woke up and went to my brown anoles tank and i found this really weird yellowish white oval like thing on my anoles favorite basking branch. At first i didn’t think it was an egg because i caught her about a month ago and she lives alone but i think she mated before i caught her because I’ve done some research and anoles can carry their eggs for a month 2 before laying it. and i doubt its poop because i know what her poop looks like and it was not oval or yellowish. so for me thats a big thumbs up! so a couple hours later i started making a homemade incubator. it took about 1 hour to build. after i built the incubator and the egg was inside i put a light next to it because i think store bought incubators have lights. now i just hope that it lives and that you guys can tell me what im doing wrong

thanks-izzyfizzy

07/31/17  01:43pm

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2320941

hi again guys i just got some new news today. so far, the egg is doing pretty good. the color is still yellowish, but its more white than yesterday. I also found out that that wasn’t the first egg my lizard laid. I found 3 other eggs besides that one. One of them hatched and the lizard is soooooo tiny. The 2nd one didn’t make it . the 3rd is looking really healthy and should hatch in about 1-2 weeks. and the last one is the one that she laid yesterday.Im kind of worried about the one that luna laid yesterday because it rolled over just a tad, but not too much.so, fingers crossed!!!!plz help me with advice.

thanks-izzyfizzy

08/01/17  01:02pm

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2320951

bad news.
the egg that luna recently laid started growing mold but thats ok because i have more eggs that she laid

08/02/17  08:04am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2320956

Mold? Oh, be sure that the tank isn’t too wet. Good luck with the babies, and make sure mommy doesn’t eat them!

08/02/17  12:46pm

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320960

Thanks so much! I will take lid off of the homemade incubator so it can dry a little bit. I think the mom ate one of the eggs that I left in ther cage, but I had hoped that it would survive. Anyways, thank you for all your help.

Thanks-izzyfizzy

08/03/17  05:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2320976

Don’t worry about mom eating the egg-- if they know it isn’t live, they’ll sometimes eat it to regain the calcium lost in making the shell, so it’s a normal, healthy thing. Make sure her diet is supplemented with calcium and vitamin powder, female anoles lose lots of nutrients when laying!

08/04/17  12:31am

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320979

OK thanks!!!

I cant wait till she lays more of them.

08/04/17  02:00pm

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2320985

The egg never made it but one day i went out and found three other eggs!!! So anyways, i left them there and she ate one but 2 hatched! it was beautiful. They were smaller than a penny. I fed them and kept them in a 2 gal. tank. After 3 weeks, one died. But 2 months later another one hatched and i kept them both healthy!

11/07/17  02:20pm

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

btw, i had the mom in a 30 gal. tank. is that okay? she looked happy and healthy!also some bad news: i had to let them all go because we evacuated during hurricane irma and i couldn’t take her and the young.

11/07/17  02:24pm

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

11/07/17  02:28pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2321479

That’s a bummer to hear you had to release them, but anoles can be pretty tough... so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re thriving out there somewhere! A thirty gallon tank is perfect for one or two anoles, I’m sure your girl was loving it in there!

11/08/17  02:27pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area