Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   Izzyfizzy   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07  

Member  Message

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Brown anole passed away,don’t know what went wrong

I had a brown anole with a green anole and they never fought, but for some reason one day the brown one passed away.She ate very little and never ate mealworms,she looked very healthy. She was caged in a ten gallon tank with a male green anole. I never handled her, she was always normal color. I have no idea what happened. Any help is appreciated

Thanks-anole lover07

07/30/17  03:55pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320937

First, ten gallons is a bit too small for one anoles, let alone two. The minimum is often listed at ten gallons, but when you consider the range on an anole outdoors, ten is far too small. It was very well possible your brown anole was too intimidated to eat around the green one, and starved. Without knowing how she passed, it is hard to say. Was she making poop? Did she have a basking area and a UV bulb?

07/30/17  06:56pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320938

They both shared a tree that was about 3 inches from the heatlamp,but she did have a rock at the bottom of the tank that got warm because of the heatlamp.The green one got burned because of the heatlamp should I move the tree to a different spot? She did make poop but it was rare,I only saw her eat once or twice. And my heatlamp came with a kit so I don’t know what type the heatlamp is........but at one point I put sand in it for a while,then I heard it could kill anoles then I switched it to carpet,could that have been it? Thank you for responding -Anole lover07

07/31/17  06:39am

Izzyfizzy
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320937

anole lover07-im so sorry about your anole. i have a brown anole too. i used to have 2 of them but 1 also
passed away.

hope that made you feel better-izzyfizzy

07/31/17  01:08pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: Izzyfizzy   In reference to Message Id: 2320940

Thank you it means a lot

-Anole lover

07/31/17  03:50pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320944

Ah, sand is bad... without knowing everything, I would guess that sand + lack of poop meant that she may have swallowed some sand and it got stuck in her digestive system. That would explain why she wasn’t eating or pooping. Brown anoles usually hunt for food on the ground, so it is likely she got a few pieces of sand inside with her meal. I’m glad you removed it. As for the light, you can just position it higher or switch to a different bulb so your green anoles doesn’t get burned again. Good luck! I’m sure your brown anole is chasing crickets in a garden in heaven somewhere.

08/02/17  12:57pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320963

Thank you sooo much

Thanks-Anole lover07

08/03/17  01:59pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area