Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Increasing Humidity?

When I mist, the humidity in our anole’s ten gallon tank goes to 50% or above, but even with a few mistings a day, it quickly goes down below 40.....any ideas for keeping the humidity up? He is brown and looks very unhappy, so I am wondering if this is why. Thanks!

07/24/17  12:43pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2320899

Increasing Humidity?

Make sure the tank doesn’t get to too wet-- humidity alone may not be the reason for him being unhappy. Tanks with too much water can cause respiratory infections since it allows bacteria to breed. Assuming that isn’t an issue, you have a few options. First, you could buy a cool mist humidifier and plug it into a timer. I do this since I work 24 hr shifts and can’t mist them myself all the time. The vent is by some plants, so they can lick the water off the leaves and any excess moisture waters the plants. The timer is set to turn on the humidifier every other hour from 0600-1700. If you can’t go this route, you could try having live plants (pothos vines and ivy are great) with a dripper system set up. This can be as some as a bottle of water with a piece of yarn in it, set above the tank, with the other end of the yarn on a leaf. The yarn soaks up water, which is then carried down to the plant. The anole will learn to drink from there as needed. One more option involves the tank itself-- sealing to top or sides to trap the mositure, specifically. Screen mesh housings are notorious for letting moisture out, so you could block off a few sides of the screen with card stock paper and use a decorative background (pet shops have these backgrounds with desert or jungle scenes for terrariums and underwater ones for fish tanks) between the barrier and the screen so it doesn’t look too bad. What’s kind of setup do you have currently? Perhaps your heating lamps are drying the tank out too soon?

07/26/17  01:42am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area