Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AnoleMom97   AmbuBadger   AnoleMom97  

Member  Message

AnoleMom97
View Profile

Help! Anole Not Eating.

My green anole hasn’t eaten in about two months. He stopped eating crickets when they got too big for him, and not I think he is scared to eat even small ones. He has refused mealworms and waxworms of smaller sizes as well. Mixing insects has also not helped- they either grow, die, or become beetles. I have a UVB and UVA light, the tank is at about 84 degrees, and he has space to bask in heat and cooler temps. I don’t know what else to feed him, and a few weeks ago he stopped eating his shed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

07/03/17  05:48am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AnoleMom97   In reference to Message Id: 2320831

Help! Anole Not Eating.

He could be ill... did you say he hasn’t eaten in about two months? How does he behave? Does he have energy or is he sluggish? Does he look dehydrated and thin? What’s his color like? Do you still see poop in the cage? How about water, does he lap that up? Has anything changed in his environment, like anything moved around? Do you have pets that might be scaring him, like cats? Finally, does he have another anoles living with him?

You could try increasing the temperature in the basking area, maybe the high 80’s would warm him up enough to take food. If he is still lapping up water, you can get him to take nutrients by mixing vitamin powder in the water and letting him drink it-- use a straw or eye dropper to place droplets in areas he can access, and monitor to see if he takes it in. If you can upload a pic, that would be great.

07/04/17  01:23am

AnoleMom97
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320836

Help! Anole Not Eating.

I haven’t seen him eat in that amount of time, but I’m not home a lot. The food in his cage either dies or molts. He has energy but looks very thin. His color changes throughout the day, from green to brown. He is usually brown when i’m in the room and sometimes dulaps at me. Yes, there’s some poop but his cage is due to be cleaned so it may not be fresh. He seems to be drinking, and no not much has changed in his tank. I rearrange some of the fixtures when I clean it though. I have a pet rat, but I got him after my anole stopped eating. He is the only one in the tank. I’ll definitely try the water trick, thanks!

07/12/17  05:20am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area