Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Is my anole pregnant

I have one female brown anole and one male green anole, im pretty sure they mated.But my brown anole is getting fatter and fatter each day,what does this mean.Thanks for any help

-Anole_lover07

06/12/17  08:04am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320748

Is my anole pregnant

I’ve seen and heard of the two species mating, but they cannot produce live young due to genetic differences. The female may lay an egg, but it won’t hatch, many lizard and gecko species lay "dud" eggs as a means of expelling excess calcium from their bodies.

06/13/17  09:00pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320755

Is my anole pregnant

Thanks for the info. :) im a little bummed that if there is eggs they wont hatch.I also have another question,My green anole is always brown.Do you know what this means?

Thanks-Anole_lover07

06/14/17  09:48am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320759

Is my anole pregnant

It depends on what sort of brown. If he has black postorbital spotting (the spots behind the eyes) as well as black speckles around his body, then he’s unhappy or ill. If he’s just an even shade of tan or medium brown, then he’s probably fine and either wanting to blend in or collect more UV. What’s his environment like? What is he eating? Are there other signs, like appearing lethargic & tired, fighting with the other anole, or not making poop?

06/14/17  11:55am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320762

Is my anole pregnant

He sometimes has brown spots on his underside.But sometimes he has white spots on his back,but he’s mostly just a lighter shade of brown except for when he’s sleeping or if I handle him,then he turns green.His cage is a ten gallon tank and has sand,a little tree to climb on,a waterdish,caves built out of rocks,and his lamp is a blue daytime lamp that I got from the pet store.He eats mealworms,crickets,and occasionally a piece of anole food.He does sometimes fall asleep randomly in the middle of the day,and moves slowly sometimes.He has no problems with the other anole.

-Anole_lover07

06/14/17  12:35pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320763

Is my anole pregnant

Okay, I see. I’ve had green anoles remain brown inside their screened enclosure and they’d green up when I brought them out. I felt it was due to the screen making them feel that their environment was darker than it really was, but then I noticed that they’d be green inside if there were fewer anoles with them. Try removing the brown anole for an hour or so, and see if that changes things. If it does, then perhaps your green anole is feeling like his tank is a little too small for both of them. Too bad you’re not in Hawaii, I’d give you my spare ten gallon!

06/14/17  12:57pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320764

Is my anole pregnant

If he turns green when he’s alone,should I get a bigger tank,or just separate them.

Thanks for all the help-Anole_lover07

06/14/17  02:10pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320766

Is my anole pregnant

If you can have each in their own ten gallon tank, that should be fine-- you could stack the tanks to save space, either directly above each other vertically or with the green anole tank vertical above the horizontal brown anole tank, like a sideways L or upside down T formation. Brown anoles aren’t as arboreal as the greens, so a horizontal tank would work as long as the brown anole has a perch up high to survey her territory from. The sideways L layout is good if you only have one bulb for both tanks-- the open ends of the top and bottom tanks face toward the bulb, so both will get the heat and light they need. I’d only suggest a single tank for both anoles if it’s big-- a 15 or even 20 gallon tank, depending on the the plant and perch layout, may not be large enough if they’re constantly in sight of each other. I have a male in my outdoor patio garden who thinks the entire 8’ tall by 6’ wide and 5’ deep space belongs solely to him, and he will fight any other males if I bring them in! If you get a second tank that happens to be larger than the first, let the green anole move in there. Males need more space, and green anoles tend to have a wider territorial range.

06/14/17  06:08pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area