Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

WillViolet8071   Anolegirl   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   WillViolet8071   AmbuBadger   Anole_lover07   Anole_lover07  

Member  Message

WillViolet8071
View Profile

HELP! New anole owner

Hey all - hoping you can help me. My son’s 4th grade class had a green anole as a class pet, and we volunteered to give him a home after the school year ended. He’s not very big - perhaps 4 inches from nose to rear (not including tail).

We’ve had him for almost a week and I’m at my wits end trying to figure out why he’s so unhappy. (I’m assuming he’s unhappy because he’s brown most of the time and often has the post-orbital dark spots). He was green for a fair amount of time for a few days, but that has changed.

I did plenty of homework ahead of time.....here’s our setup:

- 10 gallon vertically-oriented glass tank with screen mesh top.

- Reptisoil bottom with a few live plants (dracaena, I believe....I looked to make sure they were reptile-friendly), also have lots of plastic plants to create a bunch of cover for him. Sphagnum moss from the pet store, a little wooden hidey-hole that I don’t think he uses, plus a very small water dish, more to help with humidity than anything else.

- Mist 2-3 times a day. Humidity is around 50 percent.

- Lighting appears to be proper (sorry, I can’t remember the exact names of the lights, but I had two different people help me at the pet store...we do have the UVB as well.) I have it on a timer for about 12 hours on/12 hours off. Temps with lighting are around 90 in the basking spot and anywhere from 75-80 in the rest of the tank.

- We are feeding him medium size crickets....here’s where I wonder if perhaps a problem lies. They look awfully big, not much smaller than the size of his head, but the reptile people at the pet store insist that the small crickets would be too small, and the teacher was feeding him the medium size crickets as well. We have the crickets in a keeper with dog food, fruit, a water pillow, and we dust with Vitamin D before feeding. We put 3-4 crickets in his tank every day. I’ve never actually seen him eat, but, unless I’m not finding all the crickets later, he’s got to be eating one here and there. I feed during the daytime and take out any leftover crickets later on. I have seen the crickets crawl right over him and he just sits there, which was disturbing, and the reason why I make sure the extras are out of there before "bedtime". They sure are little jackwagons...

What am I missing? I feel bad that he’s not happy. Any help would be much appreciated!!

05/30/17  07:34am

Anolegirl
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2320709

HELP! New anole owner

I’m not an expert but 2 things I can maybe suggest. You sound like you e done a great job so far. I think maybe too many crickets in the tank I think one at a time should be good. They tend to bite so if he is not eating them they might be bothering him. And is he located in a quiet place in the home?? Maybe he misses the hustle bustle of the kids

05/30/17  09:48am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anolegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2320711

HELP! New anole owner

The size of the food is certainly a possibility. Crickets will grow fast, and the general rule of thumb is that food shouldn’t be wider than half the width of his head. You could try alternating the feeding schedule and also off mealworms, termites, and small butterflies. I collect small blue butterflies in the yard after dark when they’re dormant-- you just pluck them right off the blades of grass. They fly and seem to stimulate the anole’s hunting instinct. Another possibility is that the crickets are over-dusted, making it hard for him to swallow. I do agree that crickets shouldn’t be left in the cage overnight-- in sufficient numbers, they will attack and eat an anole!

05/30/17  12:03pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: Anolegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2320711

HELP! New anole owner

Thanks!! Our house is NEVER quiet, so we should be good there : )

I’ll scale back on the crickets, I think I’m going to swing by the pet store tonight and get some small crickets. I’ll still keep the mediums just in case...

05/30/17  12:30pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320713

HELP! New anole owner

Thanks! Flying eats sounds like a good idea. Are moths okay, we have an abundance of those at night. It would keep the kids busy too : )

05/30/17  12:32pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2320715

HELP! New anole owner

One more thing, the humidity is 50%, correct? Try misting more often or, if you have an old cool mist humidifier, maybe set that up in a timer to provide moisture three times a day for half hour sessions. Also, feed him less often-- maybe offer food every other day or every third day. If you can just barely see his ribs, he’s healthy! Does he appear dehydrated? And does he make poop in his enclosure? Finally, if he’s tame enough, try placing him on an indoor plant out of his cage-- sometimes my anoles are brown, and giving them time "outside" greens them up, possibly because the screen enclosure makes them think their surroundings are darker than they are.

05/30/17  09:00pm

WillViolet8071
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320718

HELP! New anole owner

Hi! Yes - the humidity is 50 percent...I have noticed that it will drop down around 40 and then I give it an extra misting.

I’ve been looking at him really closely to try and determine if he’s eating....I can see his ribs a little. I can’t see his spine, and there is a bit of roundness in his tummy, so I think he’s okay...even though I NEVER see him eat! The crickets I buy for him are pretty little, but I’m going by the rule of "no larger than the distance between his eyes". I can’t seem to find any crickets in his tank when I dig around later, so.....

UPDATE: I think he is really scared of me :( I’ve been noticing that he’s green in the morning until I come down and look at him, and then he turns brown. There have been a few other times where I’ve caught him with a green color, but it sure seems like when he sees me, he turns brown and stays brown.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since we’ve gotten him.

06/06/17  07:36am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2320726

HELP! New anole owner

Okay, a little bit of ribs showing is perfectly fine. If the spine starts "tenting", then we might be looking at dehydration or even malnutrition. As for getting him used to your presence... being around him is the only way. To get him to actually warm up to you, it’s the same as any other animal: food! When I have a new anole, I generally let them settle in for a few days before any feeding. Then, I establish a routine-- I’ll water the cage at the same time each day, and maybe say something to him as I’m doing it. The idea is to be consistent and predicatbale, and hopefully he’ll start to get used to you being around. Do this when feeding him as well. If there is some way to let him see the crickets in the jar first, he’ll know that’s where the food is. When he observes you then opening the jar and putting them in his cage, he’ll begin to associate you with food. I usually use a BBQ skewer (wood, somewhat dull) to place crickets near him, and it usually isn’t long for the anole to make the association. You can try leaving the crickets by his tank where he can see them, and when he shows interest, offer him a few. I’m glad to hear he’s still alive, I was a little worried when I hadn’t heard anything!

06/06/17  10:09pm

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: WillViolet8071   In reference to Message Id: 2320709

HELP! New anole owner

ok,so i have two anoles,one bahaman and one green. I would feed them small crickets because bigger crickets cost more money and thats why thr pet store said to buy a bigger size.Mealworms may help too,but the mealworms may have to be mini or small sizes.my anoles eat small crickets and small mealworms.and my anoles are pretty big......so small size food would might help.But also the whole tank has to be around 90-95 basking, spots are a little warmer.But it might be suffering from lonliness too.

hope this helps-Anole_lover07

06/12/17  11:47am

Anole_lover07
View Profile

Message To: Anole_lover07   In reference to Message Id: 2320750

HELP! New anole owner

Wow I remember that time long ago when I posted that, anoles can’t suffer from loneliness haha.

08/14/17  12:14pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area