Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cini   AmbuBadger   Cini   Hiriel   AmbuBadger   Cini   AmbuBadger   Cini   AmbuBadger   Cini  

Member  Message

Cini
View Profile

Fighting anoles?

I have two anoles in one terrarium (18"x18"x24"), as I know one male and one female. The female is slightly bigger, and very fat, the male is a little thinner and his head is not that big. I have them for a couple of months now, and like 2 months ago the male was courting the female really hard and was very persistent, did this head bobbing thing and dewlap showing quite often. Also was chasing the female a little too. And once when I walked in the room, I saw them in mating position, but after no egg was layed.
The problem is now that recently they have started kinda fighting. But the aggressive one is the female now, she has a dewlap too, shows it often too, and now she is the one who is chasing the male. But when they fight, they are very quick and can’t see if there is any damage done. But the male now seems shy and I think they are fighting for the hot spot maybe. They both eat well.
I attach a picture of the female, sorry for bad quality:

She has a big dewlap, but the color doesn’t seem that intense as the male’s.

Do you have any ideas what the problem can be? What should I do?

Thank you in advance!

04/30/17  11:55am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Cini   In reference to Message Id: 2320621

Fighting anoles?

The tank looks vertically oriented, that’s good-- but the down side is that it doesn’t leave a lot of basking space for two anoles to share. You can try adding another perch for the male to use or add a second light, and make sure there’s adequate area for them to cool down when they’re not basking. Look for injuries in the male, like dark marks that match the outline of the female’s jaw. These would be on his head, sides, and tail. Missing tail tips are another sign he was nipped. If he’s a relatively tame anole, remove him from the cage and see if his color changes (I’m assuming he’s brown most of the time now). I’ll place my anoles on a fake tree or flower to chill on for an hour or so under my supervision. If they turn green, then I know they’re not happy with their enclosure. If they stay brown, then I look for other signs of illness.

04/30/17  01:23pm

Cini
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320622

Fighting anoles?

Thank you so much! I will add another perch. Actually they are not really tame anoles unfortunately, they become very shy when a human approaches their terrarium, so I won’t be able to get him out, hope this new perch will solve the problem.

The thing I was thinking about, that maybe the female is not even a female... but according to the picture it can be a she, can’t be? I mean even if the dewlap is quite big. Also when I found them like 2 months ago and they were on each other, if there would be two males (and this is a territorial fight of them), they wouldn’t have been in that like "mating position", right?

05/01/17  03:16am

Hiriel
View Profile

Message To: Cini   In reference to Message Id: 2320621

Fighting anoles?

Yes I think too that the problem is the lack of basking place. I suggest to add a branch or another plant to the corner or near to the basking spot, so they both can chill and bask on the leaves.

05/01/17  12:38pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Hiriel   In reference to Message Id: 2320624

Fighting anoles?

This shows typical injury patterns from fighting. Does your anole have them?

This pic shows two of my anoles mating-- were yours in this position? If one was simply on top of the other, then it was a display of dominance, not mating. When they’re fighting, the males will usually circle each other with their bodies flattened out to make them look taller and present with dark spots behind the eyes. Did you notice any of that behavior?

05/01/17  06:21pm

Cini
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320626

Fighting anoles?

Thank you for the pictures!
Actually I haven’t seen those behaviours, just the male is very brown and thin. And he makes big jumps like all the time.
About the position, I couldn’t see well, it wasn’t this visible but they stayed like that for very long minutes, without any moving.
Here is a picture of him:

05/02/17  12:44pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Cini   In reference to Message Id: 2320627

Fighting anoles?

Okay, thanks for the pic. They both appear to be a healthy weight, but the smaller anole being brown could be an issue. Him jumping around would be consistent with either chasing prey or being chased away from ideal basking spots by his mate. They may have very well been mating, you may or may not see a small black mark on the back of the female’s neck where the male would have held on to her during the process. They would’ve been latched together for several minutes easily, so it is possible mating was taking place. Check my pic from before, it shows the male holding the female with his mouth. If you can get a second basking spot in there or separate them, maybe he’ll green up for you.

05/03/17  12:51am

Cini
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320629

Fighting anoles?

Thank you so much! Actually can’t see the biting mark on her neck, but now both of them seem calmer.
Actually I have a great picture of them from earlier:

I really love this one. The male is the one in the front, was fatter and green, just kinda suddenly lost some weight, became brown, and got chased by the other one. I used to give them flies, he really loved them, but recently I have run out of them, so I replaced them with mealworm again (before the flies, it was their favourite, but now got a little picky because of the flies I guess, haha. But they eat the mealworm too.). And he is jumping around even without being chased, just became very thin.. so btw should I maybe look for another reason behind his weight loss?

05/04/17  04:14pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Cini   In reference to Message Id: 2320636

Fighting anoles?

Ah, that’s a great shot! They look good in there. Flies are great because they get plenty of exercise chasing them around! I usually catch flies with a net when they get close to the windows, but you can also try catching moths or butterflies. As for him losing weight, worst case scenario is disease or parasites, so see if you can find his poop and look for signs of anything unusual-- like overly runny or watery, or color other than dark brown. A likely cause that ties in to his behavior is stress from his partner chasing him. Do they both eat the same amount at each feeding? I try to monitor my anoles and make sure everyone eats something versus leaving food in a bowl for them.

05/05/17  07:56pm

Cini
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320637

Fighting anoles?

I checked their poops, but didn’t find anything strange, it’s not watery, and it’s brown. And as I was watching them, both can eat, the female eats a little more, but she doesn’t chase the male away from the food. So probably could be the territory issue, not I will wait a little more, I have solved the basking spot issue, they seem calmer and hopefully they will get along from now on.
Thank you so much for your help!!

05/06/17  10:33am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area