Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LizardGirl06   AmbuBadger   LizardGirl06   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

LizardGirl06
View Profile

Anole egg?!?

Okay, So I was at school today, and I came home to find a yellow-ish ball in my tank. It was just lying on the ground in the dirt, not covered or anything. I have a female anole (Emma) and my male anole (Draco) passed away about a week ago. (I did catch them doing it one day...) I really want baby anoles but I have no idea if this is an egg or not! Please help!

04/28/17  03:48pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LizardGirl06   In reference to Message Id: 2320617

Anole egg?!?

Aww, how did Draco pass away? I thought he was healthy? Anyway, sometimes the first egg will be a dud,meaning no baby inside. The duds are usually yellow, not buried, and they won’t grow. Emma may be holding on to Draco’s sperm and the next egg may have a baby inside-- anoles and geckos can hold sperm long after mating, and lay their eggs at a later time.

04/29/17  10:15pm

LizardGirl06
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320620

Anole egg?!?

The thing I don’t get is that there was only ONE egg, I thought there was supposed to be multiple? I searched the whole tank and still no other egg. If the egg is a dud, should I take it out? It has been in here since I last posted.

05/06/17  11:25am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: LizardGirl06   In reference to Message Id: 2320640

Anole egg?!?

One or two eggs is normal. If you take the egg out, keep it oriented upright, and you can check to see if there’s an embryo inside by holding a flashlight up to it and looking for either a pink mass (fertile) or empty yellow (dud) inside. You don’t have to remove the egg though, sometimes the female will eat the dud to regain the calcium lost from the egg-making process.

05/06/17  04:17pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area