Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AcuteAngle   AcuteAngle   AmbuBadger   AcuteAngle   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

AcuteAngle
View Profile

Sick Anole Help Please

My green anole has his mouth hanging open and there’s something black inside (I think it’s dirt probably). He’s not moving much and has his eyes closed. I tried spraying him with water and he’ll usually move when waters sprayed on him but this time he didn’t. I can’t figure out whats wrong??

Also I haven’t had a chance to get more crickets for him recently so he’s been starving for maybe 4 days now could that be the problem?
Mist his tank 2-3 times daily and inside the tank is humid. This is my first time owning a lizard please help.

Thanks in advance.

03/23/17  12:42pm

AcuteAngle
View Profile

Message To: AcuteAngle   In reference to Message Id: 2320492

Sick Anole Help Please

Btw i had just gotten food for him today and he has not eaten a single bite.

03/23/17  12:44pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AcuteAngle   In reference to Message Id: 2320492

Sick Anole Help Please

Try using a flashlight to get a better look inside-- it could be something stuck in there or dried blood/scab from an injury. He could also have his mouth open to make breathing easier if he had a respiratory infection. Can you upload a pic of him? Don’t worry about him not eating-- four days between meals will not make him starve, depending how much he had last. What does he normally eat, how much, how often, and are you dusting his food with vitamin or calcium powder? What does he have for lighting? Heat and UVB? What’s his color like? As for his overall condition, does he look dehydrated, are his rear legs plump or skinny? Can you see the outline of his ribs (that’s normal for a healthy anole)?

Regarding his apartment, what kind of plants and substrate do you have? Is there a hot and cold side for him?

Immediate care for now: clean his tank well, this could be an infection-- and poop, too much water, and leftover food could have caused that. Line the bottom with paper towel or anything else that will allow you to keep track of his poop-- his poop tells us a lot about his health, so we want to see it. Make sure the tank is warm and he’s got a "sunny" area with a bulb giving him heat in the high 80’s. Make sure the tank is misted with clean water, and don’t leave any food in there that he doesn’t finish.

03/23/17  01:10pm

AcuteAngle
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320494

Sick Anole Help Please

Hey, thanks for responding so quickly.

Here’s a picture of him:
http://imgur.com/a/1nwmT

Now to answer your question-
I gave him a quick once over. He seems to be very weak. I got out a stick and gently poked him. He would usually move and run away whenever I do that but this time he didn’t even move an inch. He didn’t have any injuries on him and his breathing appears to be shallow.

He eats crickets around the size of his head. I usually see him eat two crickets around every 1-2 days. Every few months I dusts his food with something called Reptocal. It supplies him with calcium and vitamin D3.

For lighting he has a heat lamp that I turn on every few days but no UVB.

You can see in the picture that his color is mostly brown. His legs look rather skinny to me. And as for dehydration, I don’t know how to tell but I mist his tank regularly. Before I fed him the crickets earlier today, I could see his ribs clearly, but now when I took the picture, I couldn’t see it anymore.

In his tank there are some plastic plants, moss, a fake vine and a driftwood log. There is a basking spot for him and a cool side as well.

He looks very weak. I don’t think he can live much longer in my opinion but I’ll try to clean what ever is in his mouth now. Thank you again for your help.

03/23/17  02:49pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AcuteAngle   In reference to Message Id: 2320495

Sick Anole Help Please

Okay, thank you so much for the pics. I’ve rescued two anoles that looked worse than him, so I’m hopeful yours will recover. The first issue I see is that you dust the crickets once every few months with the Reptocal, correct? It should be once a week at least, and especially since there’s no UVB light for him. This could be onset of MBD, or metabolic bone disease. It’s basically a condition in which the anole is unable to metabolize the calcium in their diet and they develop bone issues as a result. The bones become weak, flexible, and the limbs and tail will appear to contract as the muscles and tendons pull against the softening bone. Here’s a link about it: http://www.anapsid.org/mbd.html

If it looks like this could be the cause, you can try mixing water or Pedialyte with the Reptocal and dropping it in his mouth with a small straw. In fact, try giving him this regardlsss-- he’s dehydrated and has been lacking the nutrients he needs. Try this a few times and don’t give up even if he refuses. For now, avoid feeding him anything with a hard shell-- try to stick to freshly-molted mealworms or crickets (they’ll look almost clear or white) since their softer shells will be less demanding on his digestive system. Also, if you can’t get a UVB bulb right away and he’s not taking the Reptocal mix, you can try putting him in direct sunlight (no window or screen in between) by resting him on a plant or something and letting him soak up the rays for half an hour at a time. I think he could benefit from receiving natural sunlight since he’s been without UVB for so long. Keep us informed! And also check out my post about "Caring for an evacuated anole" on this same forum a few posts down. I have a pic of one of my rescues there.

03/23/17  08:21pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area