Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lucy Lizzard girl   Lucy Lizzard girl   AmbuBadger   Lucy Lizzard girl   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   Lucy Lizzard girl   AmbuBadger   Lucy Lizzard girl  

Member  Message

Lucy Lizzard girl
View Profile

SICK GREEN ANOLE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

So around a year ago my little sister caught one of these lizards at the zoo. He was super thin and sick (sick enough that a seven year old could pick him up and carry him around the zoo for 3-4 hours without even trying to get away) We have a leopard gecko, so he have heating lamps and an extra cage, so we decided to keep him. The day after we got him he began eating crickets, and after about a month he was climbing and jumping around his cage (like I assume a wild anole would) After around 3 months of us having him he got a small bump on the underneath of the base of his tail, but it didn’t seam to bother him so we just kept an eye on it. It is probably the size of a pea now, and he’s super sick. He won’t eat, or drink, he sleeps all day, and hardly moves! I’m not sure what is going on. I don’t think its the bump because he’s had it for like 10 months and it never bugged him. Earlier today I put some extra virgin olive oil on his nose (I was thinking maybe he was constipated) and he licked it off. I’m hoping that he’ll get better. He’s gotten super skinny again. Does anyone know what’s happening to him? What else can I do to help him??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

03/20/17  10:31am

Lucy Lizzard girl
View Profile

Message To: Lucy Lizzard girl   In reference to Message Id: 2320470

This is what he looks like, and he keeps opening his mouth like this now. Is this bad? Is he going to die?

03/20/17  01:58pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lucy Lizzard girl   In reference to Message Id: 2320471

Oh, he does look very ill. Okay, first off, unless you took this pic when the tank was just sprayed, it should never be this wet inside-- too much moisture leads to illness. His color doesn’t look good at all, and the dark spots behind his eyes indicate a lot of stress. He doesn’t look too skinny, which is good, but the gaping mouth seems to point toward a respiratory infection. I’m not sure about the lump by the tail, but assuming he’s been getting calcium with his meals and UVB light, it sorta rules out metabolic bone disease.

Here’s what you need to do: remove him from the tank and clean it good-- get all the old poop and food out of there, and let it dry thoroughly. He shouldn’t be housed with other animals (I’m assuming he’s alone in there). When you put everything back, be sure to line the bottom with paper towels to keep track of his poop output-- it’s an indicator of his health. Increase the temperature in the tank to the high 80’s/low 90’s in his basking area, and keep the humidity higher, like around 75%. I know I said too much water is bad, but if he’s got a respiratory infection, it will help. Wait until he recovers before going back to keeping his tank dry. With the mouth open you have have a great chance to look inside-- see if there are any signs of infection in his mouth, sometimes they’ll get one from a cut that occurred during feeding.

What have you guys been feeding him before all this? What is his enclosure setup like? What sort of bulbs have you been using, and what vitamins do you provide?

03/21/17  06:26pm

Lucy Lizzard girl
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320476

So he has UVB bulbs, one for day, and one for night. He gets calcium powder around once or twice a week dusted on his crickets. He has been eating mainly crickets for the past month, but he usually gets small mealworms too (like 3-4 mealworms a week + 3-4 crickets daily) he basically free feeds, I’d put in that amount of food and when it was gone I’d wait like a day or two and then add more. Yes, this picture was taken like 2 minutes after I misted, and I misted more than usuall because he wasn’t drinking and I was hoping this would help. His enclosure has two hides, one on the hot side and one on the colder side. He had a good sized water dish that is refilled every other day. He also has a triangular "lizard hammock" with suction cups on each side which he always goes behind. The morning before that photo was taken he was super skinny, but when I came home he was all bloated like this. I don’t see any cuts of anything in his mouth, it looks like super pale (I’m not sure how it’s supposed to look) Today his left rear leg is super swollen, he can’t move it at all! I moved him into a smaller cage with paper towels on the bottom and a water dish + heating pad. No hides so he doesn’t fall because he keeps wanting to climb but falls and keeps flipping himself over. I don’t have any light skin in there right now (because there’s no hides) should I put one? He can’t really move, and I’m afraid he will get to hot or cold. Thank you sooooo much for replying!

03/21/17  07:47pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lucy Lizzard girl   In reference to Message Id: 2320477

I just got to work so I can’t write much, but make sure he has a light bulb for warmth as a heating pad doesn’t really work well for anoles. It’s possible he has a bowel obstruction, so the heat will help move things along as well as fluids. Unless he actually drinks from the water dish, I doubt he’ll get the fluids he needs from it. Hold off on feeding for now, more food will draw moisture from his body to aid in digestion. Keep him warm. The leg may or may not be related, but I’ll have to look into that later. Good luck!

03/22/17  10:53am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320480

How’s he doing? He does look really sick, I’m hoping for the best and that he will pull through. Fingers crossed!

03/22/17  08:56pm

Lucy Lizzard girl
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320486

Hey, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who answered me, but unfortunately he didn’t survive the night.

03/23/17  06:45am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Lucy Lizzard girl   In reference to Message Id: 2320489

I’m so sorry to hear that. He looked pretty ill in the pics and I had a bad feeling things wouldn’t turn out too good for him, but I had hoped he would somehow pull through. I hope your little sister is taking things well.

03/23/17  08:24am

Lucy Lizzard girl
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320490

She is, I told her he wasn’t doing well for the past few days, and we knew this was probably coming. Thank you for your help and support!

03/23/17  09:34am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area