Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cini   Eris   AmbuBadger   Eris  

Member  Message

Cini
View Profile

UVB attracts mosquitos?

Hello everyone! I have a problem that around the UVB light there are so many tiny insects, like mosquitos, but they are a little different, don’t really know what they can be... Can’t really take a picture, they are so tiny. Has anyone had the same problem before? What could I do to eradicate them? Is it a big problem?

Thank you in advance!

03/19/17  12:27pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Cini   In reference to Message Id: 2320464

UVB attracts mosquitos?

Hum, hard to say for sure what they are with out a photo.... Mosquitoes are not attracted to lights, so not likely it is that.

The first thing or some sort of gnat/fly or fruit fly, I’d look those up and see if they match. If they are fruit flies, the best way to eliminate them is to get rid of their food source, being fruits and veggies and can make a fruit fly trap with small cup of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap (they will drown). Some substrates can harbor pests, especially when it begins to spoil, you might think about giving your tank a good cleaning and replacing the substrate. Its never a bad idea to bake substrate before using just to kill any potential hitch-hikers. Vinegar and water mix is a safe cleaner that can be used around pets.

Best of luck!

03/19/17  07:41pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2320465

UVB attracts mosquitos?

I’ve noticed that many insects are attracted to UVB-- I notice this with small butterflies I use as feeders for my anoles, they’ll make a line straight for the UVB bulb and hover there. It makes it easier for my guys to catch them, and the UV light seems to show them in a hue that human eyes cannot detect, but there’s no way that I know of to stop attracting small bugs to the light. Is it really that bad of an issue for your anoles?

03/19/17  10:11pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320467

UVB attracts mosquitos?

Side note-That’s a great idea to catch little butterflies, did not know they are attracted to the UV-I’d love to catch some for my flying gecko!

03/23/17  06:08pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area