Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

RosieBear   AmbuBadger   RosieBear   AmbuBadger   RosieBear   RosieBear   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

RosieBear
View Profile

Back with New Problems

Hello! About 3 or 4 months ago I made a post about a wild Green Anole I brought in after one of my dogs caved in it’s eye socket while playing with it...it was bad. Anyways, I took him in (I didn’t really expect him to survive, but I at least wanted him to be comfy and warm). At first it looked like the whole side of his head was caved it, but as he got more active and healed, I could tell it was only his eye socket that got ruined. At first he could actually open the bad eye more then half way and could still use it, but as time passed and it continued healing, he was able to open it less and less. Now he can barely open it a tiny bit. However, he was eating, drinking and actually green a majority of the time.
Until I had to re-do his tank a few weeks ago. He’s wild, so he didn’t take it too well when I had to get him out of the tank. Since then he’s been brown, is very cautious and skittish, and doesn’t eat as much as he used to. He looks a lot skinnier too. I don’t notice him drinking anymore either. Whenever I’d put crickets in before, he’d start bouncing off the walls like a ninja catching them, now he just stares really intently and seems like he’s about to pounce, and then the cricket disappears and he gives up. I’ve also tried giving him a piece of a banana, but only seen him give it a lick once then leave it. I also sprinkle calcium on the crickets.
Did I Traumatize him when I took him out? I tried to make it as stress free as possible. Or maybe his eyesight is getting to him? I have him in a 10 gallon tank, with 2 live plants and a branch. He also has a water bowl (full of big rocks so him and the crickets don’t drown), and bark with moss on it that he can get under. Although most of the time he’s sleeping on the plants or attached to a wall. I mist the cage twice a day.
When I re-did his tank it was because the plants I had in there were dying, and the crickets were hiding from him very easily, so I tried to make the tank more open so he could get the crickets better (maybe this is where I screwed up?). He has a daytime light that is 75 watt and a nighttime light that is 50 watt. I keep it to the far side so he still has a cool area (with a plant and the water bowl).
I’ve tried giving him as much space as possible, but his tank is next to my leopard geckos tank (there’s a magazine inbetween) and my couch, so every time I check on Greg (gecko), Carl (anole) gets skittish and hides. Or when I happen to be on the couch, I end up peaking at him and catch him glaring and then he’ll retreat a bit.
Sorry for the long post, I just didn’t want to leave anything out. It’s my first time owning an Anole, and I didn’t really get a chance to fully prepare and research everything. He’s so different compared to Greg x.x so excuse me if I’m making obvious mistakes.

02/20/17  06:14pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: RosieBear   In reference to Message Id: 2320299

Back with New Problems

Sorry for the late reply, I’m on vacation in New Zealand. What does his poop look like? Also, check your powder for vitamin A as deficiency in that can start with eye problems. Can you upload a pic to show us? Finally, the water dish may not be of much use unless you’ve seen him drink from it-- but since he sounds dehydrated, maybe switch to just soft foods and liquid for now.

02/22/17  07:04pm

RosieBear
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320311

Back with New Problems

Thanks for the reply! I switched his water out for bottled spring water and now he seems to be doing much better. I was using regular tap water x.x it’s what I always used for my gecko so I just used it without thinking. He looks less dehydrated and stays green more often, although he still refuses to eat if I’m around. But I see plenty of poo in his cage so it seems he’s eating fine. I’m not finding left-over crickets either. I can’t really get a picture of his eye since when I get close he keeps his good eye on me. I noticed as it healed, a slight bulge/bump? grew above his eye where it had been crushed and that’s what is keeping him from opening it all the way. I’m assuming it’s where tissue and bone tried to repair itself kinda like how a scar can celluloid. I’ve tried giving him crushed papaya and he didn’t want anything to do with it. It’s like he’s only interested if it moves. I keep the bowl of water in there mainly for the crickets and as a just in case measure. The powder doesn’t seem to have vitamin A though.

03/05/17  08:47pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: RosieBear   In reference to Message Id: 2320409

Back with New Problems

I’m glad to hear he seems to be eating now! Crickets disappearing and poop appearing the next day is always a good thing. The growth above his eye may very well be scar tissue. Another possibility (that I’ve seen in my human patients) is that it’s a bone growth. I’m not sure about anoles, but in children that sustain injuries to the bone, it can cause bleeding inside. That pocket of blood, called a hematoma, pushes the soft bone outward and, as the bone ossifies with adulthood, it basically hardens and becomes permanent. In people, the solution is surgical-- you open them up and shave down the growth. Of course, we only do this if it’s really affecting function, and it certainly wouldn’t be worth the risk to Carl’s life when he’s doing so well as-is! So long as he’s looking less dehydrated and nothing looks infected/wet/leaky with his eye, he should continue to do fine. Thanks for the update!

Oh, and regarding the bottled water-- here in Hawaii, the tap water is really clean and tastes good. It’s possible that there was something in the water where you live that caused him to think it wasn’t safe to drink. I got a good laugh when you mentioned him doing better after switching to bottled water!

03/07/17  04:12pm

RosieBear
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320419

Back with New Problems

Here’s another update (and maybe a another laugh lol). It’s warmed up outside now so I’ve started taking him out to sun bathe and get some UVB (in a wire cage). It’s helped with getting him mellowed out and changing to green. I’ve also gotten him a vertical tank so he can climb higher and not feel so intimidated when I come over, and the bottom is smaller so now it’s even easier for him to catch crickets. I also got a cricket carrier (since now I have 2 baby beardies and they eat A LOT) so I’m able to control the crickets diet and feed him other treats that otherwise he’d refuse to eat. I’ve learned I have to be sneaky to take care of him.

However, it’s mating season here now and our porch has become a stage for huge male anoles. And it turns out, Carl is actually a lady, so I’m going to have to keep watch when I put her out there. Her names still going to be Carl though

Another quick question, is there a simpler and more stress free way to get her into the wire cage? She’s a wild lizard so it’s pretty difficult trying to get her out. I hate to stress her out when I’m actually trying to get her as comfy as can be, and outside is where she’s the most comfortable. she also eats a lot more after being outside, plus I don’t have a UVB bulb for her yet.

03/31/17  05:25pm

RosieBear
View Profile

Message To: RosieBear   In reference to Message Id: 2320527

Back with New Problems

Oh, and I finally managed to get pictures of her eye! (I have no clue how to use the images on here so this might fail)

Eye #1
Eye #2

That bump before isn’t as pronounced as it used to be, so maybe it was still in the healing stages? And see how brown she gets when I’m near her, it honestly breaks my heart lol

03/31/17  06:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: RosieBear   In reference to Message Id: 2320528

Back with New Problems

Aloha! Thanks for the update! The pics didn’t show up, but I’m glad to hear she’s doing well. As for getting her into the cage, I suppose you could try luring her to it with food. Maybe modify your opening in her tank to only allow enough space that the wire cage entrance can cover completely, and drop a mealworm or cricket in there for her to go after? Mine occasionally freak out when I go in to move them for cage cleaning, so I know how you feel. I just keep talking to them so they get used to me, and try as much as possible to chase them where I want them to go or at least get them to jump on my hand so I can pull them out. The females are always the most skittish, so don’t take it personally that she’s brown around you! I hope you won’t get too discouraged, just keep up the good work and know that she’s lucky to have you!

04/02/17  02:49am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area