Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ahaase8   AmbuBadger   Ahaase8   AmbuBadger   Ahaase8   Ahaase8   Knowanole   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Ahaase8
View Profile

SICK ANOLE :( Please Help!

Hello,

I have an Anole that is VERY ill! I’m not sure what is wrong with him... he is barely getting up to move around the tank. He hardly opens his eyes and has some poop sticking out of his butt. He also has slight dark brown "mud" looking stuff on the edges of his mouth. His cage gets misted often through out the day but could it still not be enough water? Is he constipated? If so, what do I do?! I Searched for a forum to go to for help because I feel so bad for the little guy and want to help him!

Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

01/27/17  06:02pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Ahaase8   In reference to Message Id: 2320172

Okay, how does he look? Is his color green, brown, tan, or dark brown/black? Does he have black spots on his body, including the white underside of his belly? Is there a large black spot behind each eye? For dehydration, does his face and the area around his eyes appear sunken in? Can you just barely see his ribs, or is he so dry that his body looks flattened and you can easily make out his pelvic bones? What have you been feeding him, and what kind of bulbs does he have in his tank?

Constipation could be due to dehydration or even the food he’s had. If he isn’t drinking, you can try soaking him in warm water. I usually put them on a napkin and slowly lower it into a small bowl to immerse his body from the shoulders down. He will be able to absorb some water this way, and it will soften his poop to help get it out. Be sure not to submerge his head. Do not feed him anything that has a hard shell, like beetles or mealworms. These will take more moisture out of his body to digest, which he cannot afford to do. If you scroll down in the forums, I posted a topic titled "Caring for an emaciated anole" or something like that. How does your anole compare to the pic I have posted there?

01/27/17  07:55pm

Ahaase8
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320173

THANK YOU for your answer! I am really concerned for him. He was doing fine and suddenly he just went downhill real fast.
Now to answer your questions... He is green with black spots behind his eyes. He also has some spreckled type black spots on his underside.
His eyes are sunken in a bit and you can see his ribs. His body isn’t flat although you can see his pelvic bones a little too.
When I bought him 5 years ago, I was told to use reptocal (calcium for lizards) and feed him crickets. So I would shake up the calcium and crickets and feed him that.
Bulbs: we have a ceramic heating lamp and an LED light attachment that you can change from Blue light for night and white for the day.

How long do you recommend soaking him for? I did try that and he went from a mixture of mostly brown to green and seemed to like it. His eyes were also dark before and the blue you couldn’t see until I soaked him. It really seemed to make a difference. But when I put him back in his tank, he just sits there and lays down. He seems so weak :/

Comparing my Anole to the picturen on your forum, he is slightly skinnier with more brown on him. (but their color changes all the time) His eyes are more sunken in too.

Gosh I hope I can get him better asap! Poor little fella!

01/27/17  09:18pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Ahaase8   In reference to Message Id: 2320174

Okay, the black spots you see are an indicator of stress. I see it in anoles when they’re intimidated by a rival, when sick, and when they’re stressed like getting trapped behind a bookshelf. For lighting, do you have a UV bulb? If not, does the calcium powder you have contain vitamin D? They need it to help metabolize the calcium into a usable form that will make their bones strong. Look up metabolic bone disease and see if any of the symptoms match your anole.

I think the big threat at the moment is dehydration, however, and you’ve been successful dealing with it. How’s that stuck piece of poop? Did it ever break free? I vary soaking times depending on how much they improve and tolerate it, and you can simply hold his lower half under a running faucet if he won’t tolerate soaking. I try to soak them for up to ten minutes at a time. Afterword, I dry them off by dabbing them with a towel and place them near the lamp to keep them warm. You can try doing this three to five times a day, monitoring his condition to see if he’s getting hydrated. Keep this up as long as he will tolerate it, and also pay attention to his mental status. See if he is still coordinated with his movements, able to hold himself up and behave normally. Those are big indicators whether or not recovery is going well. Also, five years is quite a bit of time for an anole, he’s getting up there in age and won’t recover as fast as a younger anole. Keep us updated!

01/27/17  11:56pm

Ahaase8
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320175

Thank you for all of your help and advice! I am going to do whatever I can to save him!

This site is incredible! I am so thankful I found it and will be using it for years to come!

01/28/17  06:11am

Ahaase8
View Profile

Message To: Ahaase8   In reference to Message Id: 2320176

AWWWW :( This morning noticed he was in the same spot I left him last night... he didn’t make it :( ugh

01/28/17  07:19am

Knowanole
View Profile

Message To: Ahaase8   In reference to Message Id: 2320177

Such a shame to hear :( after reading your post I thought I might suggest your light underperforming thus causing your lizard to not absorb the proper nutrients (making him sick and sluggish). A new uvb light might have helped.

01/28/17  07:04pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Knowanole   In reference to Message Id: 2320181

I agree with Knowanole-- the lighting and nutritional deficiencies could have contributed, but he was also up there in age. Most anoles in captivity live for 5-7 years, and that’s certainly far longer than he would’ve been around in the wild with predators and parasites after him. If you decide to bring another anole into your home, we’ll be here to help you out! I’m sorry the little guy couldn’t pull through...

01/28/17  10:02pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area