Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Luccisa   Luccisa   Luccisa   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Luccisa
View Profile

Wild Anole in an indoor plant.

We don’t have a pet Anole, we have a wild Anole that is living in one of our plants. My wife brought the plant in from the cold a couple of months ago and for some time we kept hearing something moving around in the plant. We thought it might be a Palmetto bug or a big spider and I actually poked around and shook the plant trying to kill whatever it was. Then one day over Christmas, this little Anole popped out chasing a bug or something. We were in shock that it could have survived in the plant for so long, but figured there must be bugs in the plant for it to eat and my wife mists the plant regularly.

Of course, we didn’t know it was an Anole at first, but a bit of research and we think we have a green female Anole. We had already named her Eddie Lizzard after the comedian of similar nomenclature, but we think the name is still fitting.

We’ve moved the plant closer to a window so she can get direct sunlight in the afternoon, have been feeding her meal worms about once a week and placed a few tiny water bowls in the plant. But, we have no real idea if she is actually eating or drinking any of it, although is seems to disappear. However, having the plant closer to the window means it is closer to us walking by and we are not sure if this is stressing her out at all. She pops out everyday in the afternoon for a an hour or so and is rather active. She doesn’t seem to be bothered by our presence unless we move too quickly, then she hides.

We didn’t think she was leaving the plant at all or at least we had never seen her leave it till yesterday when she found her way down a small bonzai tree. Unfortunately, we have cats and one of the cats found her. We got to her quickly, before the cat could do much to her or so we think. After the attack, she was out and about in the plant, she was a bit pale, but seemed to be ok. She was out again today, but now she has a few green spots that you can see in the image. We are not sure if this has any meaning connected to the attack or if it is normal.

Besides keeping her wet, warm, fed and in the sunlight, we are not sure what else to do for her. We don’t know what to look for from the cat attack or if there is anything we can do for her. Any advice is very welcome.

01/15/17  10:15am

Luccisa
View Profile

Message To: Luccisa   In reference to Message Id: 2320110

01/15/17  10:17am

Luccisa
View Profile

Message To: Luccisa   In reference to Message Id: 2320111

Not sure if the image uploaded or not, I can’t seem to load it into my Photo Area, it keeps timing out. I will try again in a bit if it is not there already.

01/15/17  10:18am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Luccisa   In reference to Message Id: 2320112

I’m at work now, but email me the pic at ambubadger@gmail dot com and I’ll get a reply to you on what I see. As for the anole, it’s possible she hatched from there-- eggs are often laid in soil, and it’s not uncommon to see green and brown anole hatchlings running around plant nurseries! Anoles usually won’t drink from a water dish-- it’s best to spray the leaves of the plant twice to three times daily, and she will instinctively lick up the droplets. Mealworms are fine, but it’s good to vary the diet. Mine have eaten small roaches, spiders, moths, butterflies, crickets, mashed banana and mango, and even isopods (those rolly-polly pillbugs). It’s not uncommon for their fight or flight response to cause them to darken or even turn pale green, but if she’s normally green, it is a good sign. The ribs should just be visible, and droppings will tell you if she’s eating. The white nun on the droppings is urra concentrate-- anoles and other lizards expel urine in this and liquid form.

01/15/17  11:57am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area