Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Avery008   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Avery008
View Profile

Found a lizard that doesn’t move much and I have no knowledge of lizards. Help!

Three days ago, I found a gray-brown lizard (possibly anole) in my garden. He looked like a statue with his mouth wide open and his red dewlap? displayed. I waited several minutes for him to move but when he failed to do so after about 15 minutes, I decided to pick him up. When I touched him, he bit me but otherwise stayed motionless so I decided to bring him inside my apartment. While I was carrying him, his mouth was open entire time and his dewlap was visible. I put him on the top of a piano where he could be near heat source. I took a mealworm from a family member and dropped it in a plastic container where I am keeping him. I also placed some wet branches in the container and a piece of banana since that was the only fruit I had in the house. I wonder if they even eat banana? It appears that he never touched banana and mealworm is still alive(and has recently morphed into pupa). On the first and second day, he did not move. He appears to be moving a bit today. It has been unusually cold lately where I live which made me think his behavior may somehow be related to cold? I don’t know anything about their behavior. In fact, I don’t know if he is indeed anole or if it is even a he. He doesn’t appear to have any injuries on his body.
Should I release him back in the garden or keep him for a while? I am so busy lately that I don’t have time to research much about lizards so if anybody has any advice, it would be very much appreciated.

01/11/17  04:51pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Avery008   In reference to Message Id: 2320083

Found a lizard that doesn’t move much and I have no knowledge of lizards. Help!

The behavior seems normal for a brown anole trying to discourage predators (mouth open, dewlap presenting). Anoles generally won’t eat when placed in a new environment until they’re comfortable. If it isn’t too cold out there, he would be fine being rereleased. As for pupae and banana, I’ve fed both to my anoles. The banana needs to be chewed up or mashed up first before they’ll take it, but not all anoles like banana. Pupae are easier to feed an anole if they’re used to you providing food, but a wild one may not go for it unless he sees it moving around. Keep us posted!

01/12/17  11:05am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area