Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger   Phawange   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Phawange
View Profile

HELP ME PLEASE!!! I NEED IT ASAP PLEASE

Ok so about 2 weeks ago I got two green anoles. I got them from pet smart and when they were in the tank it was about 10 of them and they all were dark brown. When the lady picked them up and put then in a box for me one of them had lost its tail and I think it a female because it has a stripe on its back. Since then it has been the timid one. The other one on the other hand was really active. The firsts 5 day they were both ok. But now I’ve been seeing the one with the tail still intact flash it’s dewlap and sometime itll stand on the other one. They both eat but here recently the ine that lost its tail eats less than the other. I’m thinking of separating them because it might be bullying could someone help me. The one that lost its tail stay and tan brown not too dark but when it sleeps it turns green. When the other stands on top of it it turns a really dark brown. The other one is ok but i’l the one that lost its tail isn’t. I’m thinking of getting some repti aid just in case it’s sick but could someone give me more advice.

01/11/17  02:55pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320081

Okay, it is normal for anoles to not eat when you have put them in new environment or rearranged things, but two weeks is a bit of a stretch. What are your feeding them? And how are you giving them water? Do you have a heat bulb and a UV bulb?

The tail loss is no biggie-- she will recover. The dewlapping is another issue though. If the other anole is a male and interested in courting her, he will dewlap and do push-ups while sometimes moving erratically. If he’s flattening his body and you see dark spots appear behind his eyes while he’s moving toward her in a circling fashion, then it’s a display of aggression. They should both be green while asleep, but you could try adding a visual barrier to see if they also stay green when awake. What sort of plants do you have in the tank?

01/12/17  10:58am

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320085

I have u all the material needed uva, uvb, lots of plants a water dish a water tree dish that they can climb up to drink. My mom got me a tank divider so I’ll put that in later when I get home. When he turnes all courtship like hes looks bigger than usual like he’s puffing himself out. He’s only one had a black spot behiND him and looked all puffy and big and she was on the other side if the tank asleep far from him. He however does do the circle things on the ground sometimes thanks for answering

01/12/17  03:00pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320090

Okay, he either doesn’t like her or that other anole could be a young male-- the stripe alone isn’t enough of an indicator of sex. If you Google "sexing anoles", there will be pics showing the ventral scales whichever are larger in males. The tank divider is a good idea-- I have my males separated, but they turn brown and dewlap if they even just see each other! The tank you have, how many gallons is it? I’m currently setting up my balcony to be a large enclosure with live plants, and will just let my anoles roam free in there.

01/12/17  05:42pm

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320091

Ohhhh ok at petsmart they said 10 gallon is more than enough for them. That enclosure is really cool idea.

01/13/17  12:07pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320095

I know you’re on a budget, but honestly, ten gallons is small even for just one to have to himself. When they reach adulthood, their territory in the wild is huge. You can, however, make the most of your tank by extending it. I went to a hardware store and bought material to make a box out of window screen that fit on the lip of my anole tank, and basically tripled their living area by adding height. Green anoles are arboreal, they’re tree-dwellers. Having a tall enclosure allows you to place branches in there diagonally for them to perch on. Best of all, making the screen extension from scratch is cheap, much cheaper than a new tank.

01/13/17  08:26pm

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320097

So the problem is the tank but the people at pet smarts said it was ok for them??? I’m also going to get repti aid for it just in case it might be sick he’s moving alot more also. I split the tank up but when I came back they were both on one side green. They fell asleep on the same leaf without a problem and they both ate without a problem. When it woke up today it was green for about 3 hours and then after that it went back brown but is still moving fine. It does have those little marks on the underside of it but no black ring around the eye.

01/14/17  08:27am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320100

Places like PetCo and PetSmart give minimal training to their employees. Remember: their job is to sell animals, and a "small ticket item" like an anole isn’t going to make much money for the store if prospective buyers find out they’ll need to spend a lot of money for one. They want to make anoles sound as easy and cheap to own as possible, which is sad. Fortunately there are people out there who care about these awesome little lizards, so it’s up to us to make sure they get the best environment possible. Try to find out where they are passing through that room divider-- if they start fighting, you’ll need to make sure there’s a way to separate them for sure. If you think they’re okay together again, just observe them-- but in my experience, changing the tank layout (like adding the divider) makes their habitat "new" again. They may stay close together because they’re uncertain of their surroundings (like how anoles at pet shops are crammed together in a corner of a tank), but once they settle in, they’ll start making their own boundaries. In a tank that small, the dominant anole may feel the whole tank is his territory, and bully the other anole in there. You could also look into "free range anoles" on YouTube-- there’s a few people who let their anoles roam free on a shelf with plants for their habitat. Just a possibility, so long as you don’t have a cat!

01/14/17  11:49pm

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320109

I have a dog. It’s the top that he’s been slipping through and though he’d be right next to the other one he’s never attacked it he just does the push up thing puff out and moves in circles

01/16/17  11:19am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320117

You can easily fix that gap by putting a piece of plastic or wood up there, a broken ruler wild work nicely. I know you said they’re not fighting, but the circling is definitely aggressive behavior. Try putting the other anole on the other side and see if he still goes over. Other than that, how are they doing?

01/16/17  11:11pm

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320120

They been doing really well. I’ve been syringe feeding the smaller one (benngi) with a fruit puree and just a dab of calcium powder mixed together and I’ve been misting the tank with warm water. Benngi has been staying a lighter orange color bu just recently turnes darker when I had to fix something in the tanlk. The other one has also stayed a rather ly lightish orange and green and seems less aggressive. They occasionally will try to come I’ve in echo there sides but will give up when they notice it’s blocked off. I put some cleaned branches in there and theyve been hanging and running all other then fof a while now. I’ve also added sone more hides and fake aquarium plants that they’ve been playing in. Benngi also seems more active but when they bigger one (zirconium) past by trying to get to benngi side benggi flashed it’s dewlap but I didn’t get to see how big it was because I was as looking from the corner. This was as as the first full day of seperation and they both seem to be doing fine. Benngi stress marks also went away. Earlier today though i notice benngi was digging in the substrate though??

01/17/17  08:21am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320121

Oh, it sounds like Benggi is doing good! I can understand her getting dark while you’re cleaning the tank, that’s common until they’re totally used to you being around. Females are usually much more skittish, so don’t feel bad if she always seems shy around you. As for digging around the substrate, that’s a signs she’s looking for a place to lay her eggs! Fingers crossed, she might be pregnant. Keep an eye on her body, you’ll see it getting larger if there an egg in there.

01/17/17  08:54pm

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320125

She looks a little skinny at the moment I stuck ny hand in the cage to fix the divider and she turned a tad bit dark the other croni is also doing fine so I guess that’s good she’s also been on the floor more here recently and on her branch

01/18/17  02:20pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320139

Sometimes it helps to talk to them and move slowly before putting your hand in there. I make slow, deliberate movements around the tank before going in, and chat a little with them. That way, they’re expecting it. I’ve noticed they don’t freak out so often now and run all over inside the cage.

01/19/17  02:09am

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320142

I did that while feeding them today and it really helped another thing I’ve notice with benngi is that he tends to wait and wat ch his food move around and then he’ll slowly stalk it and then eat it is that normal for then to watch it and then when he catches it he keeps it in his mouth for a moment and ran eats it

01/20/17  02:56pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320150

Yes, that sounds like normal behavior. Perhaps he’s just waiting a bit to make sure it’s safe to finish the meal there, or he’s taking a moment to rest after catching it, but it sounds like healthy anole behavior-- so not to worry! Also, I’m glad to hear they’re getting used to your presence in the tank. A relaxed anole is a happy one.

01/21/17  12:37pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area