Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Minkaryu   Phawange   Minkaryu   AmbuBadger   Minkaryu   AmbuBadger   Minkaryu   Minkaryu   AmbuBadger   Minkaryu   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Minkaryu
View Profile

Green Anole Injured

So I got a female anole a few months back and when she ran around the tank at the petsmart she was fine, but I got her home and she had developed a hobble and didn’t seem to want use it. It’s been about four mouths now and she’s gone from not using the hand to not using the entire front left leg. She lets me hold (I don’t often for fear of hurting her more) her and adjust her arm when I do hold her. I’m afraid her arm is dislocated and I don’t know what to do. I have a male that is very protective over her and wont let me touch her sometimes but He’s gotten used to me. Please help I’m worried about her so much.

01/10/17  07:09pm

Phawange
View Profile

Message To: Minkaryu   In reference to Message Id: 2320077

Green Anole Injured

I’m not an expert but my suggestion would be to talk to the pet store and ask them or go to a vet if she isn’t active anymore than that’s a problem

01/11/17  03:10pm

Minkaryu
View Profile

Message To: Phawange   In reference to Message Id: 2320082

Green Anole Injured

She’s active, she’ll walk around the cage and drink the sugar water from my finger, I don’t think there are any vets in my area that will look at anoles but I’ll look thank you ^ - ^

01/12/17  05:25am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Minkaryu   In reference to Message Id: 2320084

Green Anole Injured

What else are you feeding them? Do they get calcium supplements?

01/12/17  11:00am

Minkaryu
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320086

Green Anole Injured

Both times I’ve been to the store they have been out. Hopefully gonna go today and find some. At first i gave them mealworms but they didn’t eat those we got them tiny little crickets and i think she’s eaten one, but im not sure. Im at school during the day and spend most of my time with them before 7:30 and after 4.

01/12/17  02:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Minkaryu   In reference to Message Id: 2320088

Green Anole Injured

Okay, so it sounds like these may be smaller anoles? The snout-to-vent length would be the best indicator, it’s a measurement from the tip of the nose to the, well, basically their butthole, between the legs. Don’t stress them out trying to measure them, but if she’s about three inches long there, she’s close to adulthood. I mention the calcium because often they don’t receive this supplement in pet stores and they dvevelop metabolic bone disease, but since it seems to be only affecting her and that one arm, it could be due to a traumatic injury. A vet wouldn’t be able to do much because of the smaller size of anoles. If the limb doesn’t move and circulation is cut off, it’ll eventually die off and fall off from her body. I know that’s sounds scary, but anoles live with this in instances where they’ve escaped being eaten by something and have lost a limb. Theres a brown female living in my parent’s garage who is perfectly healthy and fast despite having no right hand! If you can, upload a pic of your anole to show us.

01/12/17  03:00pm

Minkaryu
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320089

Green Anole Injured

ok! I think she’s near adulthood, she’s a bit shy of 2 1/2 inches. I’m pretty sue there is curculation because she’ll move it when she wants to get comfy on my hand and on a leaf so i’m not sure. when i got her and saw her in the cage she was fine, but i think the girl who picked her up may have grabbed her to tightly because when i got home she wasnt using that left arm. Her name is Sony and is the sweetest anole I have ever had

01/14/17  03:38pm

Minkaryu
View Profile

Message To: Minkaryu   In reference to Message Id: 2320104

Green Anole Injured

Female anole

01/14/17  03:39pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Minkaryu   In reference to Message Id: 2320105

Green Anole Injured

She looks pretty healthy, and it’s possible that the arm is healing in its own. When she walks, pay attention to see if she’s guarding that side. Also make note of how much range of motion there is-- like how you said she positions it to get comfy in your hand, for example. What you’re doing is tracking her healing progress, checking daily to see if she’s improving.

01/14/17  11:40pm

Minkaryu
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2320108

Green Anole Injured

sorry its taken so long to get back to you, but thank you for all the help! The past few days she’s been holding it under he body and dragging it along. I’m not to worried about it now, because i think at this point it might just fall off but I definitely feel better now that I’ve gotten more information about it! Thank you again

01/20/17  05:46am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Minkaryu   In reference to Message Id: 2320148

Green Anole Injured

Well, if it does fall off, all you can do is provide supportive care. If it looks dead and is only hanging by a piece of flesh, you may have to remove it yourself. After that, just make sure it doesn’t get infected and allow her to eat and drink so she recovers. You can put a very small coating of antibiotic ointment over the stump for the first few days until new skin covers the wound-- and I mean a very thin coat, like just enough to be visible, you don’t want a glob on there that she may accidentally ingest. Fortunately she’s living with you, so she won’t have to worry about predators hunting her down or starving because she can’t catch a meal!

01/21/17  12:43pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area