Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bluejay06   AmbuBadger   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Bluejay06
View Profile

NEED HELP INJURED ANOLE

Hi folks, this is my first time using a message board, and I have no experience with lizards. I found this injured Anole (I think) on my window at work and it looks pretty bad. I’m not sure what to do with him/her or if he’ll heal on his own or not. It appears to have scraped the bottom of the mouth from lips to shoulder. I brought it inside and it has changed color from a dark brown to leaf green. It’s moved a bit but not a lot. I don’t know how to add a photo, I’m sorry but please help, what do I do? Do regular vets treat these guys? He’s obviously a wild lizard, do I send him back outside? It’s pretty cold out, about 50 degrees. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

12/19/16  10:10am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Bluejay06   In reference to Message Id: 2320014

NEED HELP INJURED ANOLE

The best thing you can do is provide a safe, warm place for him to recover. You can keep him in a tank or other enclosure with a light bulb shining on one end for warmth. You need to use the old incandescent bulbs that give off heat, CFL and LED bulbs won’t work. Place a plant in there if you have one, or you can also have several branches for him to perch on with small strips of cardboard here and there to provide a shelter of sorts. Line the bottom with paper towels so you can clean up easily and see his feces.

The big thing for recovery is hydration. Anoles don’t sip out of bowls, but rather lap up droplets from leaves in the morning. Use a spray bottle and mist the enclosure two to four times daily. Don’t worry too much about feeding him just yet as dehydrated anoles will have a difficult time digesting food. You can post pics here by linking to them or, if you want, you can email them to me and I’ll check them out at Keep us updated!

12/19/16  06:37pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Bluejay06   In reference to Message Id: 2320014

NEED HELP INJURED ANOLE

It sounds like you are describing a green anole, Anolis carolinensis. Does it just look like there is some loose skin? If so, it may be finishing up a shed, so there is no need for concern, but if it has any blood around the spot, then it may need treatment. To sterilize the wound, apply distilled vinegar with a cotton ball (you can also use rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or toothpaste, but these can sting). If you have Neosporin or a similar product, you can also apply a thin smear to the area. Provide the general supportive care as recommended by AmbuBadger, and feed the lizard Pedialyte, Lactated Ringer’s Solution, or Gatorade by holding a drop of it on the lizard’s snout (but not over its nostrils) if you think it looks a bit skinny. (There are recipes for the electrolyte solutions online if you feel like making some.) Vets may care for these lizards, but will probably be better trained for larger animals and may charge quite a bit (probably around $100).
Flesh wounds usually aren’t serious from my experience, so the lizard should probably be ready to go back outside in a few days.

12/20/16  11:57am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area