Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoleeesss   AmbuBadger   Anoleeesss  

Member  Message

Anoleeesss
View Profile

Anole wont eat?

Hi! I have 2 anoles. Both girls. One is a baby, and neither will eat. At first they where, but the stopped about 4 days ago. they are drinking fine. The older one is super tame, but i dont really hold the baby, since its so tiny. what should i do to assist feed them? ive tried tapping the older one’s nose, but he just licks my finger. any tips?

12/04/16  10:58pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anoleeesss   In reference to Message Id: 2319847

Anole wont eat?

For mine, the problem can be traced down to one of several things: food size, pickiness, prey behavior, and UV light.

Food size: my green anoles are nowhere near as aggressive as my brown ones, and seldomly go after anything bigger than half their head in size. Try smaller game.

Pickiness: some of my anoles got spoiled when my supply of cricket ran low and I only fed them freshly-molted mealworms and mealworm pupae. Letting them go a few days without offering them anything seemed to fix that issue, and it’s not going to do harm to yours so long as they’re well-hydrated.

Prey behavior: I’ve found that a wriggling mealworm/pupae or butterfly will always attract their attention versus food simply laid down at their feet, so to speak. Also, these lizards are arboreal (tree dwellers) and used to looking downward for prey. Sometimes they need to see the food "entering" their territory from below because it’s acting like prey. Things coming from above may appear intimidating.

UVB light: finally, don’t forget that they see UV light. What looks like a dull gray moth to us may appear more vibrant to them. My hatchlings didn’t seem interested in their pinhead crickets and servings of fruit until the UV light hit it and seemingly made the food look more appealing to them.

Check everything you’ve got in your setup and see what needs to be changed. Often you just need to withhold food for a few days to get them interested again...

12/05/16  04:32pm

Anoleeesss
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319852

Anole wont eat?

I have the lighting i need, and some fake flowers for them to climb on (Today I’m getting some ferns or something). I’m offering them small mealworms. i just noticed the baby eating! the older one is not that skinny..

12/05/16  05:16pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area