Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Airene   AmbuBadger   Airene   AmbuBadger   Airene   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Airene
View Profile

Need advice, missing anole! :(

I couldn’t find one of my anoles since yesterday, and I’m starting to worry about her... She was always visible, under the basking light. I don’t think that she escaped, I always open the cage so carefully, and they don’t even really like when I’m around the terrarium, they try to hide.
I have one male and one female green anole, in a 18" x 18" x 24" Exoterra, with little pond and 5 plants (like fern and bromelia), on the background I have cork (I tried to look inside, but didn’t see her) and coco fiber with dried moss, and one branch of bamboo. The substrate is made of forest moss and plantation soil.
I’m afraid, because I couldn’t find her anywhere, she didn’t even come out for the waxworm I put into the terrarium, and she loves it. The other one is doing very good, he’s very active and green.

Do you have any idea how I could lure her out if she’s really inside, or what could have happened, where I should look? Is it possible that I didn’t notice, they were breeding, and now she’s hiding because of this?

11/25/16  07:27am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Airene   In reference to Message Id: 2319806

It could be a number of things-- my first guess is she’s looking to layeggs or going to start shedding, the next guess is she may be feeling sick. If you’re certain she’s in her cage and didn’t escape, you could double check the plants. If she saw out and about, would say look at her partner to see if he sees her or put some mealworms in a dish and see I feel she comes to it. When mine escape, I tend to find them by the UVB light or, if male, up on a high perch surveying everything.

11/25/16  12:14pm

Airene
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319809

I double checked everything, but couldn’t find her. :( I guessed that maybe she could hide in the bamboo... I can’t look inside to that one.
Now I start to think that maybe she could escape somehow, because I really can’t find her. I was looking for her in the room everywhere also, but still nothing. Can you tell me, what do you mean at finding her by the UVB light? How should I do it?

11/26/16  08:08am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Airene   In reference to Message Id: 2319813

They’re attracted to UVB light-- they can see the wavelengths that our eyes cannot, and they’ll be attracted to it. Set the light up as to shine on the cage, and make sure it’s visible from all angles of the room. They’ll come to soak up the UV rays their bodies need. You may come to find her hanging out in the light...

11/26/16  09:25pm

Airene
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319816

Ah I see, thank you for the tip!
But actually big news! I have seen her tail for a moment in the terrarium, so I’m calmer now that she’s in the cage, but now I’m a little worried because she’s hiding that much... she’s in the gap next to the little pond. She hasn’t eaten since, and her tail was brown when I saw her. I don’t know what the problem could be, nothing has changed, the environment is the same as it was, they have the same food (soft mealworms, crickets and sometimes flies), the humidity is high enough, the temperature is at the same degree as it was... I don’t know if I just overreact, but she hasn’t done this before and I’m worried about her. If you have any more ideas or advice to share with me, I would appreciate it!

11/27/16  12:13pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Airene   In reference to Message Id: 2319823

She could be hiding due to shedding or maybe she’s looking to lay an egg somewhere. Try to see if you can get a good look at her one day-- brown doesn’t always mean ill, but if she’s dark brown with the post orbital (behind the eyes) black spots and black speckles on her body, she could be sick or in distress. If she’s used to her partner and he hasn’t been chasing her around the cage to breed, then there may not be an immediate need to separate them. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe the breeding season is over...

11/28/16  12:48am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area