Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nocluewhatimdoing   Nocluewhatimdoing   AmbuBadger   Nocluewhatimdoing   AmbuBadger   Nocluewhatimdoing   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Nocluewhatimdoing
View Profile

Need advice, ASAP!

I have what looks like an anole that I found while taking apart an old gate. She(?) was under a 2x3 and was very dark, not moving. Eyes open. I tried to shoo her away so she wouldn’t get squished but she didn’t move. I brought her inside- when I picked her up she was limp. Again, she was a dark color, then after putting a few droplets of water against her mouth and putting her under a heat lamp, she lifted her head up and changed to a slightly lighter color but then went dark again.

She’s now just lying on a rock (I found a hatchling box shell turtle the night before Hurricane Matthew passed by so we got a basic setup because I couldn’t leave him to the elements) eyes closed. When I picked her up it felt like what I’m assuming was an egg possibly, which is also why I believe it to be a female. She also looks dull from her back legs to her neck like she may be molting? Do they do that?

I tried to read some other threads for advice but I don’t have pedialyte or Gatorade or anything other than carrots. I can try to post a picture if that would help. I really don’t want her to die!

11/11/16  11:18am

Nocluewhatimdoing
View Profile

Message To: Nocluewhatimdoing   In reference to Message Id: 2319756

Need advice, ASAP!

here’s the link for a picture

https://imgur.com/gallery/UawB9

11/11/16  11:57am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Nocluewhatimdoing   In reference to Message Id: 2319756

Need advice, ASAP!

From the shape of the belly, it does look like a pregnant female. She also appears to be at the start of a shed, or molt. They usually eat the skin they shed, and the only time I’ve seen them not do so is when they aren’t feeling well or they leave the shed in moss (mine have weaved in and out of moss to help pull it off). Your girl will need some light to keep her warm and hydration in the form of water sprayed on the rock or leaves for her to lick up. The fact that she’s limp concerns me, even if her body looks okay other than her color-- but all you can really do is provide supportive care for her at this point. Usually my anoles will perk up after warming up, laying an egg, or shedding. One key to gauging her health is mental alertness: does she notice when you walk in the room, track you or any food items presented to her? Since she doesn’t seem to well at the moment and doesn’t look terribly skinny, concentrate on hydration for now. Possible problems she could be having now aside from an unknown disease would be impacted bowel or an egg stuck inside her that she won’t lay. Do you have a pic of her entire setup?

11/11/16  05:07pm

Nocluewhatimdoing
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319761

Need advice, ASAP!

https://imgur.com/gallery/dtT58

That should be a link to complete cage pic and an update pic on how she looks now (1:00 am central time).
The cage has a mesh top, and the setup is very crude as I have zero knowledge beyond a brief google in the care of reptiles. She is definitely mentally aware- she does follow me with her eyes; I also placed a baby cricket in with her and she followed it with her whole head but wouldn’t try to eat it. I tried feeding her the guts with tweezers but she won’t open her mouth? I have a spray bottle that I have used a water and dawn soap mix in to kill fire ants- if I rinsed that out thoroughly would it work or would soap residue cause an issue?

Her color has lightened significantly after a few hours under the lamp and sitting in some moistened soil. If she is having problems laying an egg, is there anything I can do for her? That has to be an awful feeling!

11/11/16  10:15pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Nocluewhatimdoing   In reference to Message Id: 2319764

Need advice, ASAP!

Okay, she could benefit from having some foliage in there-- perhaps some plants or even just broad leaves for her to hide under may make her feel comfortable and secure. You could even use a few sheets of paper or cardboard in a pinch, just so she isn’t feeling so exposed out there. From the pic, her color looks good, but she does appear ill-- I’d expect her body to be slumped down like that around bedtime, but during normal wake hours she should be supporting her weight with her legs. Of course, healing is a slow process and we are not sure why she’s ill in the first place.

Do not use that soap bottle sprayer-- something always remains. Instead, get a new one or just simply flick water from your fingers, she’ll lick it up. Don’t leave crickets in the tank if she doesn’t eat them, and also be sure not to have any sand or gravel in there that is small enough for her to eat. If she swallows any, it may get stuck and cause a bowel impaction. The food you are offering her may be too big, hence why she wasn’t too keen on taking it. If you find any smaller bugs outside from a pesticide-free garden, give them a shot. Avoid things that sting or bite, and anything with a hard shell.

Treatment: if you can get her to eat, vitamins and calcium powder dusted over the food would help her a lot. Sometimes females don’t get enough calcium and the egg-making process pulls a lot of it from her bones-- so nutrition is important. She will also need UVB light, either from a bulb or direct sunlight, as this helps her body to make use of the vitamins and calcium. If she is egg bound, a vet may not do much-- anoles are very small animals, and difficult to work on. All you can really do is provide warmth and water, and make a spot for her to lay her egg (sometimes they don’t lay because they don’t feel there is a safe area for their egg). You can do this by having a tray of moist (not wet) soil available for her to lay her egg in. Partially cover it with Spanish moss or leaves for privacy. The idea is to get her to feel comfy about laying an egg in that spot. You can just as easily use that little area of moist soil you currently have in there. For impaction (something stuck in her digestive system), provide warmth and hydration to help move things along. Remember, they rely on external heat to keep their metabolism up. Keep us updated!

11/13/16  12:30am

Nocluewhatimdoing
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319769

Need advice, ASAP!

Took a trip to pets mart down the road today and bought some of the smallest crickets they had. She hasn’t eaten one yet that I’ve seen, but I only let about 4 out. I haven’t put any foliage in, but I’ll do that tomorrow first thing.

Good news though, she finally shed! It seems like she’s feeling much better. I didn’t read your comment till just now but erred on the side of caution and simply laid her on the countertop next to some water yesterday. She drank a bit and that seemed to help. I bought a new spray bottle this morning and have been misting every few hours or so- if I notice it looks dry. Her color was back to bright green by this afternoon and about 2 hours ago I went to check on her before bed and saw her hiding under the red plate and shedding all over. I even got a short video of her eating it, she really does seem to be doing a good deal better than when I found her. I’ll be sure to go back to get the calcium and hopefully find a bulb better than what I have. She’s walking along the cage now, and even climbed up the glass and has been sleeping on the mesh lid so I expect to be able to let her go soon-ish.

Until then, I’ll try to get those rocks out and get some soil from the yard so she doesn’t choke. Thank you for your advice! It’s definitely appreciated :) I’ll be sure to update again either when she’s ready to be released or if she lays an egg!

11/14/16  09:52pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Nocluewhatimdoing   In reference to Message Id: 2319780

Need advice, ASAP!

Ah, I’m so glad to hear that she’s doing well! You’ve helped her out tremendously! Keep us updated. She surely would’ve been someone’s lunch had you not taken her in!

11/15/16  12:05pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area