Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole newbie   Icearstorm   Anole newbie   AmbuBadger   Anole newbie   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   Anole newbie   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Anole newbie
View Profile

Green anole skin issue

I recently purchased two green anoles. Both seemed to be in healthy condition but then one developed one had a noticeable bump on its back. It is very dark and doesn’t change color when my anole changes color. I was hoping with regular care it would go away but it has only gotten worse and the anole continues to lose weight. What do I do to get rid of the bump on its back?

11/10/16  02:58pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Anole newbie   In reference to Message Id: 2319752

Green anole skin issue

Does it look like it could be a tick, or more like a tumor? I can’t recommend anything aside from general supportive care (heat, easily-digestable food) until the issue is known; what would work in one instance may do harm in another...

11/10/16  03:58pm

Anole newbie
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319753

Green anole skin issue

It looks more like a tumor, it isn’t attached onto of the skin, it’s growing from underneath.

11/10/16  05:15pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole newbie   In reference to Message Id: 2319754

Green anole skin issue

is it possible to post a pic? The concerning issue is that lack of appetite. If it is a tumor or other growth, that could be putting pressure on internal organs in a way as to make it uncomfortable for your anole to eat and digest food. It would be best to separate them in case it is something contagious, and keep your anole warm and hydrated to help him recover. How long have you had them? Do they have unfiltered UVB/sunlight readily available? Is their diet supplemented with any vitamins?

11/11/16  05:11pm

Anole newbie
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319763

Green anole skin issue

Here is a pic.

11/12/16  10:25am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole newbie   In reference to Message Id: 2319766

Green anole skin issue

Okay, wow, your anole looks very dehydrated! And that dirt in there isn’t good because they can easily ingest particles and get a bowel obstruction (like if they saw a cricket on the dirt and lunged at it). They should be getting sprayed with water several times a day. In your case, assuming your anole will tolerate it, he may benefit from gently soaking him in lukewarm water. You’ll have to slowly introduce him to the water. Some of my anoles will let me slowly sink my hand into a bowl, others seem to prefer having the faucet running over them. Hydration helps keep their skin healthy, and your anole certainly needs that! That black spot looks like an old injury. Keep taking pics of it to see if it is improving. I’ve seen that on some anoles that have gotten too close to a heat lamp and received a burn. In other cases, it’s dead tissue, and you can only hope that it heals on its own.

11/13/16  12:47am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319771

Green anole skin issue

Also, as dehydrated as he is now, it may be best to feed him soft foods only-- nothing with a shell, so maybe try some mashed up fruit like banana or mango.

11/13/16  12:50am

Anole newbie
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319772

Green anole skin issue

Thanks so much, he’s looking better after the baths but I still can’t get him to eat.

11/14/16  06:04am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole newbie   In reference to Message Id: 2319775

Green anole skin issue

Don’t worry about him not eating-- when they’re sick and dehydrated, they somehow know not to eat a lot because the digestive process pulls a lot of water from their bodies. Even if he does show interest, I’d say hold off unless it’s something soft and easy to digest. I hear of many cases where a sick anole is getting better and the owner gets him to take a cricket, then the poor guy dies the next day. I think that’s because the digestive process either was too taxing on the frail body or there wasn’t enough fluid to move things along and the anole suffered a bowel impaction. Keep up the good work, hopefully each new shed will clear his wound up!

11/14/16  09:37am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area