Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Karokk   Karokk   Icearstorm   AmbuBadger   Karokk   Karokk   AmbuBadger   Karokk   Icearstorm   BeardedDragonLady242   Karokk   Karokk   AmbuBadger   Karokk   AmbuBadger   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Karokk
View Profile

HELP!! Anole in critical condition!!!

Hi!
I really hope someone can guide me!
I’m not a reptile owner, never have been, my knowledge is very very limited.

So I live in South Florida, Miami to be more exact. Several Anoles come and go from my yard all year long. This little one has been on my mango tree for the last 2 days, only until last night I realized he is EXTREMELY emaciated. He slept in the same spot hanging in he fence and I was able to carefully catch him with a towel and placed him in a large container. I also collected big centipedes for him to eat BUT no response to the food so far, not very alert and doesn’t even put up a fuzz when I come very close, I want to do what’s right for this little one , he may be dying already slowly :( please give me some guidance!

Let me make it clear I don’t want to pick him up with my bare hands as I might have a mini heart attack, so suggestions are welcome, I can buy him food and make good shelter, at the very moment he is confined in a postal office bin, that was the "best" I could find for this emergency.

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/kokoshine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0255_zpsicef7dce.jpg.html]

[/URL]
[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/kokoshine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0309_zpsmt4vf6ue.jpg.html]

[/URL]

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/kokoshine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0254_zpsiuxmgbbm.jpg.html]

[/URL]

10/31/16  10:05am

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319714

I don’t want to seem like I’m exaggerating, he really is very thin:

On a positive note I think he ate both centipedes.

10/31/16  10:14am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319715

General supportive care is probably the best option right now; provide heat (from about 70°F on the cool side to 90-100°F on the warm side; a heat lamp or heat pad shold work well (though newer electric heating pads may turn off after a little while). If you could mix up some electrolyte solution such as Lactated Ringers Solution or Pedialyte (instructions available online), you can put this in a spray bottle and mist part of the cage in place of water (though it is a bit sticky and goes bad within a few days without freezing). Even better, you could get someone to put a few drops of this electrolyte solution on his snout for him to lick off every few hours. This should provide him with easily-digestable food, hydration, and electrolytes, which he is most likely lacking.
If he has been eating, things certainly seem better, though crickets tend to make better food than centipedes or other hard-shelled bugs. You may want to refrigerate the crickets for a few minutes so they slow down and become easier for him to catch (though not to the point that they stop moving, or he may become disinterested).

10/31/16  08:28pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Link

I posted a bit on a green anole I took in. She has recovered and is thriving, give it a read for some idea on how to care for your knight anole. I would also suggest staying away from any hard shelled prey because that will pull moisture from your anole’s body. Stick with hydrating and offering him some fruit, like mashed up banana or mango. You can even try chewed up carrots-- I have a green anole who actually goes crazy for it! If you have a UVB light, that William help with both vitamin D synthesis and tracking food-- I noticed that my anoles seem to pay more attention to food like bugs and fruits if it was near a UVB light source. It seems that they see the UV light reflected off certain items in a way that we can’t.

11/01/16  02:28am

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319716

Hey hey!!
Thank you so much for advise!
Here’s an update: so far he is stable and looking MUCH better!
I have gone to 4 different pet stores in my area and none of them carry live crickets, this is so upsetting!!
I was able to get a light bulb special for reptiles, I was very happy to find him sleeping right below where I put the bulb (outside of his big box now, but with direct focus on him) he was staying warm under it! :)

I went for bananas and mangoes and was able to mash some bananas and mixed them with a little bit of pedialyte and slowly put a tiny tiny bit in his mouth 3 to 4 times waiting a little bit in between so he could swallow. to MY SURPRISE he is doing much better and now attempts to bite when I get to close, and he is def. on high alert, so thats good! His poop yesterday was a bit transparent with a little white on it, I haven’t google yet what their poop should look like, but Im guessing and hoping he won’t die at this point!

Ok.. so my next and most important question right now is: WHAT CRICKETS SHOULD I BUY? I gave up buying them locally, so... there’s so many kinds and sizes online I am more than overwhelmed, like, what if the cricket is too big? There’s just no possible way I will cut a cricket in half to feed the lizard, so I appreciate the info because I need to order TODAY.

Thanks, will keep updating :)
Karol

11/01/16  01:55pm

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319717

Thanks AmbuBadger! He liked the banana, noted on the other insects, he didn’t like them anyway, I found out later he actually let the worms escape, lol ... so at the moment everything looking good. Now I only need to get crickets and hope he makes a speedy recovery!

11/01/16  01:57pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319720

Aloha again! Don’t worry so much about getting crickets just yet, he needs soft food and fluids. The white part of the poop is urea-- a solid form of urine. They will also make liquid urine as well. The light bulb will keep him warm, allowing his body to break down and metabolize the food he’s taking in. Check your pet stores for powdered vitamins for reptiles-- calcium, vitamin A, and phosphorus are essential. You can easily mix these supplements in with the fruits so he won’t become malnourished. It looks promising so far, the fact he’s still neurologically sharp is very good news. For bugs, look for non-pokey caterpillars, small roaches, larvae and pupae, and small spiders when he’s strong enough to pursue them. I buy mealworms and either feed the freshly molted ones (identified by their translucent white shell) or wait until they become pupae before offering them to my anoles. Make sure you feed the mealworms leafy greens and other nutritious veggies because those nutrients will be going into your anole. Keep us updated!

11/01/16  07:11pm

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319724

Aloha!! :)
So happy to report that Yoshi (yes I named him) is doing wonderful!
I was able to get some crickets form my local petsmart, I did so before reading this message, the person helping with the crickets suggested large ones instead of small. So... I had to face my fears with the crickets lol! I brought 50 of them home and mage them a decent habitat, he hasn’t shown interest in going at them directly so I decided to take another approach, as horrible as it may sound I have been grabbing the crickets with tweezers and taking their head and back legs off and feeding him just the stomach part, once I have them super close to his mouth he opens wide and bites the little piece and off they go!

I am not sure how many times I have to feed him BUT I gave him 4 last night. 4 crickets this morning, 3 crickets at 1pm (lunch time) and then will give him another 4 at night or maybe 5? He is also receiving plenty of sun since I keep the box half sun /half shade during the day and at night the bulb. Ohh and I’ve been spraying him just water mist several times throughout the day, looks like he loves it.

So.. between all that, and the blessing from working from home Yoshi has pooped solid 4 times already between yesterday and today! Yay

Now I will wait, and will buy those vitamins / calcium, anything in particular that you can recommend? And also... should I keep him for two more weeks or how long? Since its Miami I am just thinking he should get fat before being released because a cold front comes november /december.

Thanks for following up with us!!

11/03/16  11:27am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319736

Sounds like you’re doing everything right :). After a couple of days, you could try adding the live crickets to his enclosure again; just be sure to supply some cricket food (scraps from lunch work just fine) so they don’t try to eat your lizard. As a rule, make sure the reptile feeds normally and has some fat on its tail before release so it has enough energy to adjust to a new environment. Once he takes live insects on a regular basis (to the point where you no longer have to hand-feed him) and fattens up a bit, you can start acclimating him to the cold by slowly lowering the temperature of the cage (by no more than 10°F per day, I’d say) until it reaches outside temperature. This may be easiest to do by sitting the cage outside under the heat lamp and moving it a few inches away each day. Once adjusted and acting normally, he can be released. Another option, considering knight anoles are invasive in Miami, would be to find a person interested in keeping anoles and give them your lizard.

11/03/16  04:07pm

BeardedDragonLady242
View Profile

ok first of all do not feed anoles centipedes. what your going to have to do is go to your local pet store and ask someone if the have flightless fruit flies. if so get them. two if they dont have that look for a pinhead cricket the smallest of crickets.if they have them then get them. the other thing you can do is buy a jar of peach or mango baby food and mix it with calcium for reptiles. the other thing you need to do it get a spray bottle with no chemicals in it fill it with spring or well water and mist the cage or container.

11/04/16  07:05pm

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319737

Happy to report that he is still alive. Not 100% as I want him to be but he is hanging there. I started looking for a home for him as opposed to just releasing him, I’m just not sure if he will make it out there, he is more interested in being hand fed than he is in eating crickets on his own, which leads me to think he might have been someone’s pet at one point and was released? I don’t really know... he seems to be very gentle and became easier to handle with the days to the point where he sits on my hand while I feed him.

Ultimately, I’m happy for all the advise I received here, the person adopting him owns 2 large iguanas, 1 chameleon, 2 snakes and 1 bearded dragon so that gives me peace of mind, I also know her through someone since 5 years ago and she is an excellent pet owner so I will be getting updates. :) Doing the happy dance for Yoshi!

11/07/16  08:08am

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319741

Here’s his progress:

11/07/16  08:10am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319742

I’m so happy to see your Knight Anole recovering! I was really worried for the guy, but you’ve helped him out tremendously and he’s thankful for you rescuing him. I hope he’ll be happy in his new home!

11/07/16  05:09pm

Karokk
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319744

Thank you AmbuBadger, I was very very worried (still am until he makes full recovery) here he is his first day with new mom.

He will go to his vet appointment tomorrow. Will get something for parasites, my heart tells me that might be the issue, he may be infested badly with parasites :(, he is receiving water constantly, and also organic baby food (fruits) and she put calcium on the crickets and mealworms, my hopes are up for the little guy, as he continued eating and pooping despite all the stress and changes and handling he’s been going through. What a champ!

I’ll come back with more news on his journey :) so happyyyyy I found a reptile loving momma because I am definitely not a fit for him, but determined to save his life!

11/07/16  08:27pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319745

That’s wonderful news! Ah, if you’re not doing so already, be sure to clear out any live crickets from his cage before bed-- they’ve been known to eat dormant geckos and lizards in their sleep!

11/07/16  09:19pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Karokk   In reference to Message Id: 2319745

You’ve certainly done a great job in caring for him; he’s looking a lot better! :D

11/08/16  03:49am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area