Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Floridalizard   Floridalizard   Floridalizard   AmbuBadger   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Floridalizard
View Profile

Help please! :)

I just found a baby brown anole lizard that is severely hurt. the lizards back legs are both completely dead. his/her tail has fallen off and the sump is red. i would like more info on how to care for this lizard, how to set up the cage, and what i should do for feeding and watering. I currently have the lizard in a glass cage that is fairly tall. i have a few mealworms in there that i bought at a pet store for my hedgehog. can i feed him/her oranges?

10/09/16  10:24am

Floridalizard
View Profile

Message To: Floridalizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319597

I believe the lizard is a girl after further investigating. The tank she is in is 10 gallons which i read was ok. i also am going to the store later to buy stuff for her. what should i buy? The only thing have for water in here currenty is a wet paper towel which she just likes to sit on. i was trying to give her wear trough a siing but she wasn’t taking it. ANY ADVICE?

10/09/16  11:29am

Floridalizard
View Profile

Message To: Floridalizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319598

I hope now this lizard has even a slim chance to live i tried to kind of force feed her some water and crickets but he won’t take any of it. she is barley moving. i tried to wash off her tail stub a little. Please if you would like to help me save this lizard comment on my posts. :’(

10/09/16  11:54am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Floridalizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319597

How big is the anole? In inches, from the tip of the nose to the vent (roughly where the hind legs join to the body). It will be tough for him to survive even if he gets past this stage-- but for now, focus on providing warmth and water only, he may not be healthy enough for food just yet. Have a light bulb to give him warmth up to about the mid 90’s, and provide water by spraying the area near him so that he may lap it up. Don’t soak him or the tank, and be sure to provide some privacy so he can relax-- stress can and will kill an anole! Let us know what you’ve got when you return, thanks!

10/10/16  02:34am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Floridalizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319599

If she starts drinking you could make Pedialyte for her, though if she is a baby (less than an inch snout-to-vent length) or quite dehydrated (sunken in eyes), then you may want to half the amont of sugar to lessen the chance of choking. Another alternative to this would be Gatorade, though it tends to be a bit harder to digest. For liquids, get a drop on your finger and hold it against the very tip of her snout. As for protein, watered-down baby food would be the easiest to digest, though it probably will not be consumed without placing some in her mouth. If force-feeding in this way, just make sure you don’t get food stuck in the valve at the base of her tongue to prevent suffocation.
As for her tail, a bit of Neosporin or similar would help healing, while vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or rubbing alcohol will kill germs (vinegar will probably be the least painful when applied to her tail).
Heat is a must. A heat lamp that does not emit light is ideal, but a regular heat lamp or a heating pad should work as well. Avoid heat rocks, as they often overheat and can cook your lizard.

10/10/16  04:24pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area