Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anolemom   AmbuBadger   Anolemom   AmbuBadger   Anolemom   AmbuBadger   Anolemom  

Member  Message

Anolemom
View Profile

Cuban Knight Anole has bump on nose

We have a Cuban Knight Anole that we rescued from the freezing cold about 5 years ago when she was a baby. Recently she has developed a bump on her nose. Does anyone know what this may be and how to treat it? Below is a link to a picture of her head.
Knight Anole head

09/29/16  05:51pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anolemom   In reference to Message Id: 2319551

Looks like it could be a cyst, which require drainage. If it’s possible, I’d say take her to a vet to have it done-- I know that’s expensive, but it’s the best option. It would at least allow you to confirm what it is as well, in case it turns out to be a tumor. Has it changed in size recently? Is it draining? Will she let you handle her. Does it feel like there’s liquid inside, or is it firm?

10/01/16  05:23pm

Anolemom
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319557

I have an appoinntment for her tomorrow. I called my avian vet for a referral and hope the vet is good. She does not like to be held so I hope it does not stress her too much. She does let me touch her head a little and the bump seems solid. It does seem to be getting bigger. She seems to feel fine, but I know that birds and reptiles tend to hide it if they are sick. There are some tiny dark specks in the bump. Could they be mites? I also read that crickets can bite, but don’t know about that. I have seen crickets on her head. At first I thought the bump was unshed skin because she tends to retain her shed on the top of her head. Thanks for answering. We will find out more tomorrow. Do you have any advice for capturing her and transport? I will have to put on gloves to get her and was going to put her in a small carrier and put that in a paper bag so it is dark to keep her calmer.

10/02/16  05:00am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anolemom   In reference to Message Id: 2319558

Aloha and thanks for replying. Are you leaving the crickets in the cage with her? They can bite and, in some cases, totally devour a small lizard or gecko when they’re sleeping! As for her appointment tomorrow, see if she’ll crawl into a long paper towel tube so you can just taker her to the transport carrier. I’ll put a worm or cricket and hold it out to my anole, removing it once they’re inside. You can also corral her towards the carrier and ease her on in. Let us know what happens!

10/02/16  06:23pm

Anolemom
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319562

Well, got back from the vet. She cleaned the dead skin off the bump and there was a little infection to the right of it which she cleaned out. She thought the bump could be the result of incomplete molting on her head, but will not know until the tests come back what underlying cause there might be. I got a topical antibiotic and am to rinse it with saline 2x a day. They are running cultures on the infection and did a gram stain and are checking to make sure parasites are not to blame. She said she seems to be in good condition and has no signs of any deficiencies. I captured her on the first try and she was pretty cooperative at the vet. (went into possum mode). She is resting now. I think I will keep her in the carrier for a few days for ease of accessing her for applying her medicine. I want to check with you all as well about tank cleaning. I have always used white vinegar and rinsed it well. My husband wants to use bleach solution, but my sister told me it is lethal to reptiles. What do you recommend?

10/03/16  06:58pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anolemom   In reference to Message Id: 2319567

Stick to the white vinegar, because even a trace amount of bleach can be harmful to your anole. I like to use something to line the bottom of the tank with, like an old felt or rubber mat, so I can easily remove and clean it without having to take everything out of the tank. Keep us updated, these posts greatly help others who may be going through the same thing with their anoles!

10/04/16  08:09pm

Anolemom
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319571

Thanks for the reply. She is doing pretty well. I think the bump has gone down and the infected area is shrinking.
I have been keeping her outside because it is nice and hot and humid. She seems quite perky. She even molted since she went to the doctor. She is still in her travel carrier so that I can more easily access her to apply her antibiotic. Hopefully we get test results early next week. They said that they don’t come back as fast as for mammals or humans.

10/06/16  03:22pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area