Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SirMyztiq   SirMyztiq   SirMyztiq   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   SirMyztiq  

Member  Message

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Lethargic Anole, maybe sick?

Hello,

I posted about a month ago that I caught a green anole and have been keeping him in a terrarium.
http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Anoles/messages/2319440.html

He seemed happy and was eating great. Moving everywhere around his cage. However, these last few days he has been extremely lethargic. Especially today. Yesterday I fed him crickets and he ate two of them and just started to doze off. Today he doesn’t want to eat and he just kind of sits there like someone gave him too much Nyquil.

He usually hangs out at higher branches but the last two days he has been just under a leaf on his bark slice thing. He doesn’t seem to move alot these last few days. If I open the cage and make him run around he runs but today he is just really slow. He was running, fell on his back and just laid there. Like he died.

He is of green color and doesn’t have any black dots of death(from what I read) behind his eyes. I snapped some pictures of him:

Yesterday he did seem to have trouble eating a cricket that was a little bigger than the rest of the pinheads. However, he was been lethargic since yesterday but today is definitely worse. I moved his cage that was against a window against a wall and I’m wondering if the draft of cold AC + fan air is doing something to him. The temperatures in the tank seem fine and I mist him twice a day. The bottom layer did drop in humidity however, it used to hover at about 75% but nowadays it’s at about 50%. Not sure if that could have this kind of effect.

Any ideas?

09/26/16  05:34pm

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Message To: SirMyztiq   In reference to Message Id: 2319543

Sigh.

Well, I put him in his cage while I typed this post and now it seems he has passed away. I have no idea what went wrong or what is going wrong with him. He seems to be breathing really slow. But lifeless. :(

09/26/16  05:36pm

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Message To: SirMyztiq   In reference to Message Id: 2319544

So, not all the way dead. He lays on his side doesn’t move. He then makes effort to right himself. One of his eyes is shut the other slightly open.

I have no idea how or what is causing this. I feel bad for him, like he is suffering.

09/26/16  05:50pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: SirMyztiq   In reference to Message Id: 2319545

Keep him close to the warming light. In at work, will try to reply later. But keep him warm and dry for now.

09/27/16  01:16pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319546

Looking at the pics, he appears distressed. He does have dark spots behind the eyes, he looks a little thin and dehydrated. Anoles need heat to help metabolize their food, so if his body is running too cool, his appetite isn’t going to be there and he isn’t going to want to drink either. He doesn’t look too healthy right now, but I’ve seen some pretty sick anoles turn around. Make sure his temps are in the high 80’s with a hotspot in the 90’s so he has the option to warm up. Don’t worry about trying to give him exercise, let him relax and recover. Of he isn’t eating, he certainly can’t afford to be expending energy. Check his poop-- it should be moist with a good white phosphate bit attached to it. That white part is the urine excreted as a solid attached to the poo. It shouldn’t be yellow or absent.

09/27/16  06:37pm

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319547

Thanks for the follow-up!

Unfortunately, he passed away. Frankly, I feel it was my fault because I did not leave him night-time heat. I checked the temps every now and then once this regular heat-lamps went off and they were steady at 73 but I think after I moved his home against a wall the AC air was getting him colder and I didn’t account for that. He was pooping and eating just fine. Unfortunately it was too late. Very sad moment. It looked like he didn’t have the energy to climb up to the higher levels anymore and that was probably because he got too cold at night.

09/29/16  08:57am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area