Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dreamer00   Icearstorm   Dreamer00   Mavrik15   Mavrik15   Dreamer00   AmbuBadger   Dreamer00   AmbuBadger   Mavrik15   Dreamer00   Dreamer00   AmbuBadger   Gnxclone   Dreamer00   Dreamer00   AmbuBadger   Dreamer00   AmbuBadger   Dreamer00   AmbuBadger   Dreamer00  

Member  Message

Dreamer00
View Profile

To Catch an Anole

Hi all! I’ve got a bit of a dilemma that I am hoping someone out there can help solve. We are located in Indiana, and have a little brown anole living on one of our hibiscus trees. I first spotted him/her on July 15, and he/she has doubled in size since then, so is thriving outside currently. Obviously the little critter must be brought in before it turns too cold, though - we’re definitely not his/her native habitat here. We’ve set up a vivarium that I think will work well.

My question is, how do we catch the little guy/gal? We made an attempt last night, as he/she usually beds down on a leaf of the hibiscus. However, last night’s sleepin’ leaf was hard to access, and we ended up waking the poor little thing, and scaring the living daylights out of it as we tried to figure out how to snag it without harming it. I don’t know where he/she is tonight - well hidden after last night’s ambush, no doubt.

So, any tips on how to safely capture a 3" juvenile brown anole? The next few days of weather will be fine, but it won’t be long before we get a night that dips into the 40’s, and I don’t want to lose him/her to the cold! Thank you!

09/15/16  09:33pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319485

To Catch an Anole

Are you sure the lizard you are seeing is a brown anole? Green anoles can turn brown and can live in cooler temperatures, while brown anoles are usually found much farther south. If it is in fact a brown anole, you may want to contact the FWS, as brown anoles are invasive and pose a danger to native lizards such as green anoles.
If you still want to catch it, close a net over its sleeping area and catch it as it runs around inside. Or you could catch it by hand; anticipate where the lizard is going to run and grasp it by the neck or stomach, but never the tail (it will fall off). Don’t squeeze it too much, but keep a firm enough hold so it won’t get away. If you can see its ribs moving as it breathes then you are probably not holding it too tightly. Brown anoles will climb up trees and fences (and occasionally glass) and will also hide in leaf litter, so try to prevent it from getting to these hiding spots. You will probably have the most success catching it while it is sleeping, at dawn/dusk, or during any other cold weather (due to it being an exotherm, it will be more groggy before it has the chance to soak up the sun’s rays). For the same reason, you will probably have the least luck catching it in full sun.
If you don’t think you have a good chance (above 20%) of catching it, wait until later. The lizards learn to hide from you when you chase them every time you see them.

09/16/16  05:03pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319489

To Catch an Anole

Hi Icearstorm,

Thanks for your reply.

I am certain it is a brown anole. It has never been any color other than shades of brown, even when asleep.

We are in the state of Indiana. There are no native wild anoles. It is not an invasive species here, it is a dead man walking. We want to catch it and keep it as a pet, because the alternative is to let it die as soon as our temps drop and stay cold.

I had already determined that trying to catch it at night while it was asleep would be best - it’s very quick during the day when awake, and has some excellent, inaccessible hiding places. Our first attempt at catching it was unsuccessful, in part because it was a reasonably warm night (about 68*F at 11pm), and he/she was quick to jump and run once we jostled the tree.

We are not comfortable trying to catch it by hand - it’s still so tiny, I really fear we’d squish it in the attempt. We may try your net suggestion, and I think we will wait for a chilly night so that he/she is much slower moving. Our last attempt has definitely made it more skiddish.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

09/17/16  02:50pm

Mavrik15
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319492

To Catch an Anole

If you get a water bottle and cut it were it starts to curve up to make a dome then take it of and reverse it to were the opening is in the bottle secure it then put crickets in it and lay the bottle where u normally see it check it hourly and hopefully you well get it

09/17/16  09:55pm

Mavrik15
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319492

To Catch an Anole

If u get a water bottle and cut it were it starts to curve up to make a dome the take it of an reverse it to were the opening is in the bottle secure it then put crickets in it and lay the bottle where u normally see it check it hourly and hopefully u well get it

09/17/16  09:57pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: Mavrik15   In reference to Message Id: 2319495

To Catch an Anole

Hi Mavrik15,

That’s a good idea. I’ve seen that done to catch insects, but it never occurred to me that it could work for our little anole friend. We’ll have to see if that works.

Thanks for your suggestion!

09/17/16  10:11pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319496

To Catch an Anole

The other option would be to use any large, smooth container like a mixing bowl or plastic storage bin. Place a few crickets in there by where the anole perches, and surely he’ll see them and make an attempt at one. Check often, and you might him trapped in there.

09/18/16  02:17am

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319497

To Catch an Anole

Thank you, AmbuBadger! We might have to give that method a try, too. He/she is pretty clever, and very quick, so it’s definitely going to take something like this to snag it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the actual species? I’ve attached a couple photos for reference...

Sunning on its favorite post.

Caught mid-shed about a month ago.

Thanks all!

09/18/16  03:09pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319498

To Catch an Anole

I want to say, offhand, anolis sagrei. The gold stripe makes me think she’s a young female, but usually females will have a defined triangular pattern along the back while the males have a more splotchy pattern. The pattern may appear as she gets older. If you have anything to feed her, like recently molted mealworms, small roaches, or earthworms, try tossing one a day toward her. She’ll associate you with the food and become more relaxed when you’re around. I’ve gotten wild ones to eat out of my hand in under a week-- they’re pretty brave, and also smart enough to make that "nice human = food" association.

09/18/16  10:25pm

Mavrik15
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319496

To Catch an Anole

Ur welcome you should look up on youtube (big anole enclosure) the name is chase pfeiff its pretty cool and well it is my video 😂

09/19/16  09:47pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319499

To Catch an Anole

Hi AmbuBadger,

Thanks for your additional help. I"m glad to hear you think she’s a she - I was hoping, because I think the adult female is more attractive than the adult male in the brown species.

We haven’t tried any food with her yet - should be able to give that a try later this week.

I’ll report back when we have some success.

Thanks so much!

09/21/16  03:14pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: Mavrik15   In reference to Message Id: 2319503

To Catch an Anole

Hi Mavrik15,

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

09/21/16  03:15pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319513

To Catch an Anole

Well? Any luck? Here in Hawaii the brown anoles are pretty brave. My girl and I were driving and actually pulled over to throw a mealworm out the window to one basking in the sun. He snatched it up without hesitation!

09/22/16  10:48pm

Gnxclone
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319485

To Catch an Anole

That’s definitely a female cuban brown. I have the same kind by the hundreds in my yard. Most females have diamond backs, but some are striped like your’s. All of the anoles I’ve found in the yard have the same red head too.

Check the tree with a small flashlight after dark. You’ll likely find her sleeping on a leaf, or sometimes a branch. It’s very easy to sneak up on them and grab them when they’re sleeping. If you’re afraid of grabbing too hard, place a tall plastic container below her and firmly smack down to shake her into it. If you’re afraid of hurting her from smacking, then quickly cup your hand over her with the container below to trap her so she has nowhere else to go except into the container. Be careful of her tail!

I have a transparent, hour glass shaped, plastic carafe which works great for this. The inward slope of the bottom half keeps them from being able to climb back out.

09/30/16  01:45pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: Gnxclone   In reference to Message Id: 2319552

To Catch an Anole

Thank you all for your help. We didn’t catch her, and she disappeared about two days after my last post. I held out hope for a while - she went missing for about a week in early August, only to suddenly show up again - but we never saw her again this time. I’m gutted, and I have one extremely sad little boy, too. I haven’t even had the heart to come back on here to report in until now.

I just wish we’d been able to catch her the night we tried - she was just too quick, and we too afraid to cause her harm.

I’m just very, very sad right now.
And we have one very empty vivarium. :-(

10/10/16  04:37pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: Gnxclone   In reference to Message Id: 2319552

To Catch an Anole

Hi Gnxclone,

Just noticed that you are in Florida. I hope you and yours are safe and whole following the storm.

Thanks again for your earlier reply.

10/11/16  12:05am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319612

To Catch an Anole

Dreamer-- don’t worry, I’m sure she’s alive out there! Check out this post!

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Anoles/messages/2103596.html

Basically, they still thrive in cold weather, and she may even pick up weight. Heck, she will probably be back around if the hunting isn’t good and you’ve no cats or dogs running around your yard! Save the terrarium for a deserving anole, one will surely pop up!

10/11/16  12:37am

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319613

To Catch an Anole

Oh, AmbuBadger, I truly appreciate your sunny outlook. Thank you for sharing that thread - it was very interesting to see how inventive and hardy these little critters can be.

Unfortunately, I don’t feel as optimistic this time - and I’m a really positive person. We have a lot of birds in our yard, including free-running chickens. I created a "safe-zone" circle of dense plants around her favorite tree and post, and as long as she was within that, she’d be relatively safe. But, I couldn’t force her to stay put, and I observed her outside the area, including on the deck floor, more than once. I fear our shenanigans trying to catch her may have caused her to travel further afield, seeking a different territory, and put her into harm’s way.

There is no access to a heated area for a little critter like her here like in the other thread, and here in central Indiana, Winter is Coming. We’ve already had a couple nights where temps dipped into the mid- to low-40s (which I realize from the other thread is not quite the death sentence I imagined it to be). We had to move our collection of tropical plants to a greenhouse yesterday for overwintering, because they were too large to move into our home this year. That included her tree - I checked carefully before we moved it, she wasn’t there.

We never get them here - she had to have been a hitchhiker on one of the new tropical plants we got this year (we suspect a particular hibiscus tree - not the one she settled on), either as an egg, or as a tiny baby. Since searching for info about anoles, I’ve come upon a few other stories of people in cold climes finding an anole running around a garden center or the like, so I know it happens on occasion. But, my husband and I love tropical plants, and buy several each year. This is the first time we’ve gotten a bonus critter in the 16 years we’ve been together.

Ultimately, I’m just so sad because my son really wanted an anole - they had green anoles as class pets & science observations last spring, and he put in to get one of those, but wasn’t drawn - and then she appeared this summer, and it all seemed meant to be. Now I feel like I’ve let both my son and the little critter down by losing her. We had named her, and I really loved observing her - she was so beautiful, and I really, really miss her.

Sorry to dump on everyone and be such a downer.

10/11/16  10:24am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319616

To Catch an Anole

They often lay their eggs on the soil of plants from the store... so keep an eye out in your greenhouse for them and continue to stay optimistic. Heck, I’ll send one to you from Hawaii if you’re willing to pay the shipping! We’ve a bunch here, and they’re very hardy lizards!

10/11/16  11:23am

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319617

To Catch an Anole

Thanks, AmbuBadger - I just might take you up on that... I’m sure shipping would be crazy expensive, but I’ve never seen one like her in a store, so... Thank you - something to think about, for sure!

10/11/16  12:44pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Dreamer00   In reference to Message Id: 2319620

To Catch an Anole

I’ll look into the details of packing and shipping, I’m sure it’s no different than what the pet stores do. The females have the nicer patterns on their backs and some have a beautiful gold stripe along their backs too!

10/11/16  02:10pm

Dreamer00
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319621

To Catch an Anole

Oh, AmbuBadger, that would be awesome! Thank you so much - hopefully we can make this work!

10/11/16  02:55pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area