Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SirMyztiq   AmbuBadger   SirMyztiq   SirMyztiq   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   SirMyztiq   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Baby Anole Caught and Placed in Home

Some weeks ago I caught a tiny little lizard. Wasn’t sure of what it was so I Googled it. I believe it’s a Green Anole. I tried to release it and it got all caught up in a spider web and my daughter was upset because she thought it would get eaten. So, we kept it. I’m not sure how old it is, but I know it’s young. About 3CM body wise and 6CM with tail.

I got him a 12x12x18 terrarium, cocunut husk subtrate, covered it with NZ moss, planted some real plants in there I got from Petsmart as well as some fake vines. I got three thermometers/humidity measuring things although the humidity ones aren’t very accurate. I say this because since they are close to the heat lamp, I believe it gets dry there. If I turn them off, the humidity goes up. I try to keep humidity high but right now it fluctuates at the top level. Closer to the ground it stays consistent at about 80% and the moss/substrate is moist.

I added a layer of plastic wrap on top half of cage to keep humidity high at the upper level but it’s not working too well. It does keep humidity decent longer though.

He is active, runs around his cage when I go in to spray it. When I put in his food. I got some pinhead crickets, tiny little things with cricket food and some Calcium+vitamin dust.(Repashy Calcium Plus) He has a mini-heatlamp that came with the Zilla terrarium which keeps that one spot at 90F. He also has a 10.0 13 Watt UVB by Zoo Med on there. Both run on a timer of 13 hours. When I’m home I spray the top level of his enclosure routinely, I think too much frankly. The bottom of his enclosure is constantly moist so I feel I’m over doing it.

Is it normal for top level to be less humid than bottom level?

I feed him once a day, put around 8 crickets seasoned with the powder. He eats about 4-5 sometimes. I put them in a plastic cup bc otherwise the crickets are so small they would just disappear into the moss. Or drown in a water drop. Those things are fragile.

He seems skinny, I can see his ribs sometimes when he lays out. He stays brown all the time. I’m unsure if it’s his temperature or if he is stressed out. Right now his cage is on my desk which I know bothers him since I work on it and it shakes his cage a little bit. He also probably doesn’t like to see my face all the time. I intend to move him soon to a bigger terrarium.

I found a great buy on craigslist on a used terrarium. The thing is massive. It’s an Exo medium-xtra tall. But the previous guy had frogs living in there and has a custom backdrop. It seems to be made of organic matter to boot. Some dirt on it. I intend to clean it with ZooMed Wipe-Out disenfectant and an ammonia solution. I’m hoping that the ZooMed is enough to sanitize the custom backdrop but if it isn’t, I can already tell removing it is going to be a PITA since it’s glued onto the glass. The enclosure came with all sorts of lights and one of those typhoon misters which I was looking to buy anyways. For 100 bucks. It was a good deal to me.

So, any tips into caring for this little guy? I’ve read quite a lot of docs on Anoles but I know experience tends to trump generalized articles on the web. I’m attaching some pictures as well. I hope to keep the custom backdrop in the used enclosure but if it’s too risky then I’ll get rid of it.

This is him:

This is his home:

Lights setup: Half covered with plastic wrap and duck tape

Closer look inside:

Gauges:

- hotside

- way at the bottom

Future home:

- notice the dirt custom backdrop on the other side.

09/07/16  08:37am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: SirMyztiq   In reference to Message Id: 2319440

Your little guy definitely appears to be a green anole, and he is probably a few weeks old. The current setup looks great! The only issue I see is the moisture at the bottom of the cage-- if it’s too wet, it could make him prone to respiratory infections since bacteria and other nasties like to grow in the excess moisture. The humidity levels are fine-- it’s more important to just mist the cage a few times daily so he can lick up the water rather than having it wet all the time. Also, if you have any branches or vines that you could run below the lights, it’ll give him a place to perch and bask in the warmth. Those lights will dry any moisture, so the lower humidity at the top of the cage is normal. For color, he may turn green as he becomes more comfortable. He should be green when he’s asleep at night. Just so long as you don’t see dark brown or black spots behind his eyes or along his body, which would indicate severe stress. From the pics his weight looks fine, a little ribs showing is normal. The amount he’s eating is fine too, maybe dust the crickets twice a week so he doesn’t OD on vitamins, and offer some mashed banana or other fruit to vary his diet. As he gets bigger, try catching and feeding small moths or butterflies, it’ll vary the diet and give him exercise. Keep us posted! Oh, and the dirt backdrop is fine so long as it isn’t loose enough that he’d ingest any pieces and choke. If you use ammonia, thoroughly rinse it. It’ll irritate the anole. If you’re worried about the dirt background, you can coat it with a spray adhesive that cures water-proof, it’ll "seal" any loose pieces in.

09/07/16  01:10pm

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319443

Thanks for the reply!

I do worry the bottom is too wet. Although I just felt around down there and the substrate itself feels dry overall but moist in some parts. Especially around the plants. The moss is the one that is moist. The humidity seems to stick at about 80% down there and when the lights are off it goes up to 70% around the cage into the higher placed gauges. I have sprayed more "lightly" now compared to what I did before. Just enough to create droplets on the leafs so he can drink.

Under your advice I twisted the vine that is in there so that it runs closer to the heat lamp and the UVB light.

He does turn green at night when he sleeps and sometimes during the day. I just moved him to a stand next to my desk so he won’t feel the wobble when I type. I do however sprinkle his food with calcium plus every meal. I read that this was good for younger anoles but once he gets older to do it maybe once or twice a week. Are you suggesting I do slow it down right now? I kind of like the dust because it makes it easier to keep the crickets in the container. haha. Without it they would just drown themselves in a tiny droplet. or get lost in the moss. But if it’s too much to do it daily then I can figure out another way.

I was putting him in a separate container to feed him before I got the Calcium Plus. But I felt that it probably added a bit too much stress daily. He does move around the cage alot more.

He still doesn’t seem to like to see my face. :D

09/07/16  03:46pm

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319443

I forgot to mention that I’ll update on what I find in the used terrarium once I get to cleaning it. It’s not so much the dirt that concerns me(although now that I know he can choke on it...) but the bacteria left behind by the frogs. I don’t plan on keeping anything organic that I can’t sterilize but that backdrop seems to invite complications.

09/07/16  03:48pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: SirMyztiq   In reference to Message Id: 2319445

Okay, I forgot about your little guy being so young-- so yes, it is okay to dust the crickets, and it’s best to add the food to his cage rather than remove him for feeding sessions. I’ve fed mine from a shallow bowl after breaking the back legs of the crickets or poking them with a BBQ skewer and letting them take it off the stick. Feeding him from the stick might allow him to warm up to you, but each anole has their own personality-- I have some that are still skittish around me while others will hang around the front of the cage when I come into the room, waiting for a meal. As I said, it’s good to feed him in the cage. This, at least in my experience, helps him identify the area as his territory, and makes it less likely he’ll run off.

See if he likes where you moved the basking perch to-- if he hangs out there in the morning to warm up, then he likes it! As he gets used to you and associates you with food, he’ll stay out in the open more often and might even walk onto your hand to grab food. Keep us posted, looking forward to how your little guy adapts to his new home.

09/07/16  07:36pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319450

I forgot to add-- if you have other pets, he may feel threatened by them. I’d keep him so place where cats and dogs won’t poke their noses around.

09/07/16  07:38pm

SirMyztiq
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319451

I will definitely keep you up to date. I can’t believe how pleasant it is to maintain the terrarium with a lizard in there. I’m enjoying it. After a crash course on anole care that is. I hope to keep this guy alive all the way to old age. My wife thinks he is the luckiest lizard to ever be caught. She might be right.

I do have two other pets. Two cats, so I’m not too concerned with Paco(thats his name) liking me. Cats are the epitome of self-absorbed conditional love. I do keep them away from his cage. I did place his cage at an unreachable location. He is so small I don’t think they notice so they haven’t tried anything. Now the bin of pinhead crickets in my room is another story...

09/08/16  07:47am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: SirMyztiq   In reference to Message Id: 2319454

Glad to hear you’re loving it! You never know what these lizards will do. Two nights ago, I saw one laying an egg on another as she slept, then today we caught two other humping in their cage. They didn’t even stop when walked into the room, just stared us like, "go ahead, call the cops"...

09/09/16  01:45am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area