Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

P A O L O W A V E   AmbuBadger   P A O L O W A V E   AmbuBadger   P A O L O W A V E   AmbuBadger   P A O L O W A V E   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

P A O L O W A V E
View Profile

My small green anole has an eye infection help!!!

So I have a small green anole, she’s about a year old I bought her about a week ago from petco. I noticed that one of her eye was slightly swollen I didn’t think about it much but now it’s a big problem her eyes can barley open and when she does open them It’s only for a few seconds. She refuses to eat so I spray water into her terrarium (set up: 10 gallon tank some fake leaves and the lamps) her basking temp is between 80-85 degrees and her night temp is 76 and humidity level is at a good 60%. I went to the local herp vet about this and she said it could be a lack of vitamin A so she told me to buy spinach and spray more water in the tank. I’ve tried all of that and like I said she refuses to drink or eat (stubborn little bugger but I luv her) I’m running out of options I read a couple of posts on this forum and I decided to write my own. I’m in need of help please

09/05/16  09:55pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: P A O L O W A V E   In reference to Message Id: 2319429

Your herp doesn’t know too much about anoles if he thought your girl would just eat the spinach like a turtle would. Ideally, if it were vitamin A deficiency, you’d try using any powdered vitamin compound that has vitamin A in it and give it to her on her food. Since she isn’t eating (possibly because she can’t see), you can try mashing the spinach into a paste (or if you have powdered vitamin, mix with a tiny bit of water to do the same) and dabbing it on her mouth. Be careful not to get it in her nose. There may be advice online regarding using antibiotic ointment-- look to see if it’s okay to apply some to her without getting it in the eye. Is there any way you could post a pic? Finally, I’ve heard of anoles getting eye issues from UVB bulbs. Oh, and try mashed banana if you have any-- my geckos and anoles love it, and if your girl does too, you can add the spinach to that. Get back to us.

09/05/16  10:06pm

P A O L O W A V E
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319430

Here are some pics of her thanks for replying so quickly Link
http://imgur.com/RRMPuEz

09/05/16  10:17pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: P A O L O W A V E   In reference to Message Id: 2319431

Okay, good thing is that your girl doesn’t look too bad! She’s not too skinny yet either. I’ve seen worse examples online. Okay, you can see her eyes, that’s good. Here’s an article I found that I’m still reading through, but there’s a lot of good advice in ethereal, check it out.

Link

Looks like first thing on the list is to make sure her cage is clean. Bacteria from poop and dead crickets won’t help at all, and I’ve had a close call with one of my geckos that prompted me to give her cage a good cleaning. Make sure your baby has an enclosure that is easy to maintain. Also try flushing her eyes with clean water and soaking her if she will tolerate it. Give that article a good reading through!

09/05/16  11:27pm

P A O L O W A V E
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319432

Disinfecting the tank at the moment she drank some water today I also plan on taking her to a different herp vet tomorrow

09/06/16  06:55pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: P A O L O W A V E   In reference to Message Id: 2319437

Okay, keep us posted!

09/07/16  12:26am

P A O L O W A V E
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319439

Sadly April isn’t breathing any more and passed away 2 hours ago we took her to the vet and they said that there was nothing they could do. So I’m kinda sad. I’m more mad at my self than the petco I bought her from. I’m mad at my self for not making sure she was healthy before buying her and I’m mad at the store for selling me a sick one, poor little girl I really love anoles but it’s awful watch one die. Thanks for your help dude you did all you could :’)

09/07/16  05:20pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: P A O L O W A V E   In reference to Message Id: 2319446

Man, I’m bummed to hear that. Sadly, PetCo is notorious for this... I’m glad they don’t carry anoles here in Hawaii, because it would break my heart to see them piled in there like that. I never take in more than I can care for. April probably contracted something while at PetCo because the living conditions can be pretty bad in there, and I’ve heard a lot of horror stories online from people like you who unknowingly brought home a sick or infected anole. Despite the poor outcome, it’s good to know she got to spend a little time with someone who cared about her.

09/07/16  06:59pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area