Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Icearstorm   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Icearstorm   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Tigerion   Tigerion   AmbuBadger   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Tigerion
View Profile

Urgent Health Help Needed

Hey guys, I found a male Green Anole on my patio who was moving slowly and rather painfully.

I’ve done rescue work via volunteering but my experience mostly goes to birds and mammals. I went ahead and scooped the little guy up and brought him inside.

I do have a 10 gallon tank in my room that I’ve managed to somewhat setup for him. I take him out in the sun about four times a day in order to let him soak up the heat, (working on getting a lamp).

The vets around here don’t have experience with lizards and I’m very worried about him. Abraxos is feisty when it comes to being handled, so his fighting spirit isn’t broken. Are there any tips on how to help

[url=https://postimg.org/image/pzzs3nq3n/]

[/url]

08/30/16  07:23pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319368

I’m at work now, just letting you know I saw your post and will reply later. Don’t forget to mist him with water so he can stay hydrated, and incandescent bulbs should provide enough heat indoors on rainy days, but it’s great you take him outside to get UV from the sun!

08/31/16  11:33am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319368

Unless there is any major injury, feeding him should be top priority. Basically, feed him the most digestible thing first and gradually work him up to eating more natural foods. I have had luck following a similar method as what is described below.
Get some Pedialyte, Lactated Ringer’s Solution, or other electrolyte mix (there are instructions online for making these) and feed through an eyedropper by holding the lizard and squeezing a drop of the solution onto his nose; he should drink this. After he drinks the solution, mash up cooked meat into a paste and hand-feed it to him by lightly pinching his snout until he opens his mouth and then putting a small amout of the meat inside his mouth (be careful to avoid getting the food in the opening on the base of his tongue or he could choke); if he spits it out, you may want to try feeding him a few hours later. Once he starts eating this you can hand-feed him small, soft-shelled insects until his strength returns, when you should start feeding him live insects. Moths are usually the most appealing to anoles, but slow or uncoordinated lizards have trouble catching them so crickets will be better for them. Avoid mealworms because they have thick chitin shells that are hard to digest and can be addictive (to the point where some lizards will refuse to eat anything else).
If he doesn’t get stronger within the week, parasites or vitamin/mineral deficiencies may be at work; these usually require veterinary attention.

08/31/16  03:53pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319376

Thank you so much for both replies, I was getting to the point of desperation when it came to seeking help for Abraxos. I managed to get him to lap up some banana mush in the wee hours of the morning by running a finger along his snout and offering him the mush then. I know that fruits and vegetables are not their main diet and should never replace insects, but at the moment it was the only thing available to me.

Right now there are caterpillars all over the place in various sizes and none of the ones around here are poisonous, do you think Abraxos will accept one as a meal? I catch flies for my jumping spiders, (as well as moths), so supplying him with those shouldn’t be a big problem.

When I shine the light against his abdomen his ribs appear to be fine, and there is no fluid in his lungs, so at least that is good. He’s very uncoordinated at the moment and sleeps most of the day and night.

Below is a picture I took of him a minutes ago.

08/31/16  06:36pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319377

Don’t worry about only offering Abraxos some mushed banana-- I have both anoles and day geckos, and they seem to love the stuff. Please add a little water to it so he gets hydrated. You can also try some of those caterpillars you mentioned, just find something small that won’t tax his digestive system too harshly and you should be okay. Is he taking water? My anoles lap up droplets from leaves and the screen on their tank. I would certainly wait until he’s taking water regularly before offering anything that has a shell, and if you have mealworms, you should only give him those translucent white ones that are freshly molted. Small flies and moths will generate interest in my anoles, but Abraxos may be too weak at the moment to chase them down. The lack of coordination is worryisome, but let him rest and make sure he gets his sunlight-- their GI tract relies on warmth they cannot generate, so cool temps = poor digestion. His tank should have a plant or two-- I find that those pothos plants are perfect for giving them a drinking surface, shade, shelter, and privacy. They are also one of the few plants I can’t seem to kill (!). If you look at my post on caring for an emaciated anole, you’ll see what I’ve done to bring Arienne back to health. I’ve stopped updating the thread because she’s fine now and there’s no real new changes with her.

08/31/16  08:08pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319379

I’ve been creeping through the anole boards and noticed a couple of good posts made by those with starving anoles and taken a few notes about what I should and should not do.

I have feeding tongs, worse comes to worse I can always tong feed Abraxos a nice fat moth in a week or so. Is there a particular type of meat that works better as a paste? Also, is it possible to mush insects? ( I feel so mean asking that! )

08/31/16  08:57pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319380

I’ve never tried using "human" food, but crickets are easy to mash. You can do the same for mealworms and roaches. What kind of plants and perches do you have in Abraxos’ tank? And if you find a moth, perhaps yank the wings off-- it’ll make the moth both easier to catch and swallow.

08/31/16  10:19pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319381

As of right now I have some fake plants and sticks in the enclosure, with some mossy substrate as the flooring. I keep it misted three times a day. As of right now we are at the beach so he’s in his travel cage. (Not as spacious but still pampering).

UPDATE: Abraxos has passed his first bowel movement since I found him the other day! (Although it was on my shirt, but hey, pooping is good! :))

09/01/16  11:01am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319383

That’s great news, looks like things are getting better! Be sure not to feed him anything to taxing on the digestive system just yet-- I have read many accounts of people with sick anoles and geckos seemingly getting better only to die after taking a cricket or mealworm. In those cases, I feel the meal was too much, too soon. So keep hydrating him as you are, and keep offering mashed fruit. Good work! Oh, and how’s his poop look? Watery, dry, moist? Solid or soft? What color is it?

09/01/16  06:41pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319385

Poop: It was moist and I think a medium/dark brown? (First instinct was to remove it from my shirt ) It was mostly solid, but not all the way.

Feeding: Mashed up some blueberries today and he seems to enjoy them. Spoiled little lizard will wait til it’s offered on my finger before he laps it up. (He won’t eat it off of any other surface! ) Once he swallowed what he was eating he’ll leave his mouth open with his eyes shut. If I don’t immediately supply the yummy food he’ll crack his eyes open and look at me expectantly.

Behavior: What a snuggle bug! Abraxos will make himself comfy and if I start to move he’ll glare at me and bob his head. XD His personality is really starting to come out!

-Day 5 (September 2nd, 2016)

09/02/16  08:33am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319388

Poop sounds good! Lol, anoles have a lot of character and really crack me up at times! One of mine will refuse to eat crickets if he sees me give a juicy mealworm pupae to another anole-- and he’ll give me that "anole stare" as if saying, "oh, forget the cricket, I know you’ve got the good stuff stashed somewhere!"

09/02/16  03:45pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319393

Images

Day 1(8/29/2016): Unavailable

Day 2 (8/30/2016):

Day 3 (8/31/2016):

Day 4: Unavailable

Day 5:

The amount of ribs showing is NOT healthy, correct? I highly doubt that it is but I just want to make sure.

09/02/16  08:03pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319394

Actually, that Day 3 pic looks about average for a wild anole, so don’t worry about it. What you should pay attention to are his eyes-- if the area around it looks sunken in, then he needs hydration. I’m on my phone, so I can’t see the pics too well right now, but he seems to be doing fine!

09/02/16  09:39pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319394

He’s a bit on the skinny side, but not emaciated. So long as he continues eating and drinking there shouldn’t be much reason to worry.

09/05/16  05:13pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319427

Day 11 9/8

So sorry for the lack of updates!

Abraxos’ eating has begun to become more of a challenge. He no longer willingly laps up the food which forces me to place it on his tongue and wait for him to swallow. Drinking goes very much the same way and his eyes are sucken in, a sure sign of dehydration.

His color is good, a mostly vibrant green, (still has black in the same areas as before) but his coordination is atrocious.

He appears to be unable to control the amount of force behind his movements and constantly misjudges distances. At other times he’ll fall from wherever he’s perched and lay on his back for several moments before thrashing his way right side up. His head bobbing is a bit more constant and he’s managed to extend his dewlap several times over the past few days, (something he hasn’t done until now). He keeps his eyes barely cracked open and I have yet to see him with them fully open. This has lasted for the past two days.

All in all I am very worried about this setback and not sure what to make of it. Still feeding mashed bananas with some calcium and vitamin supplements mixed into it.

09/07/16  10:33pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319452

Okay, first off, we don’t know how he was originally injured, so don’t feel too bad about that. The black spots on his body may be evidence of those injuries, and it could be the reason why he’s not coordinated. Keep feeding him soft things only, and certainly keep up with the hydration. I’ve found some anoles and geckos will stop eating if they don’t have enough water on board, so it is possible Abraxos knows this. He needs water to digest things, and if he doesn’t drink it, you can still soak him in warm water to help. Line the bottom of his cage with some felt, foam, or paper towels-- something soft to land on in case he falls again. Keep him warm, too-- if you can’t put him outside for sunlight or have a UVB bulb on him, at least provide a light that gives off warmth like an incandescent bulb or spotlight. Just test the area by seeing how warm it gets with your hand. Finally, you can mix your vitamins with a little water if he won’t take food. Keep an eye on his eyes-- if they get swollen, it could be due to vitamin A deficiency. Check your vitamin powder to see if it has it. Lack of vitamin A can make him suceptible to infections, and these show up in the eyes sometimes. Offer the vitamins maybe twice or three times a week.

09/08/16  12:58am

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319453

I am devastated to have to post the following news.

Abraxos died this morning between 7 am and 8:30 am. I spent all of last night with him to help him regulate his temperature and ensure that he stayed hydrated. It was during the hour and a half that I was sleeping that he passed away.

We all knew this was a possibility, but after 12 days of 24/7 care and bonding, his loss has me lost with what to do.

09/09/16  02:08pm

Tigerion
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319453

I am devastated to have to post the following news.

Abraxos died this morning between 7 am and 8:30 am. I spent all of last night with him to help him regulate his temperature and ensure that he stayed hydrated. It was during the hour and a half that I was sleeping that he passed away.

We all knew this was a possibility, but after 12 days of 24/7 care and bonding, his loss has me lost with what to do.

09/09/16  02:09pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319463

Man, bummer. Abraxos certainly had the best shot under your care-- had he been out there on his own, he would’ve ended up devoured alive or starved to death in some cold corner of this world. If you feel up to it, you could consider taking in another anole, but just be sure to find a reputable dealer. Keep your chin up, you did the best you could. I’m sure Abraxos appreciated being cared for at a time he felt most certain he would be abandoned.

09/09/16  04:18pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Tigerion   In reference to Message Id: 2319463

Sorry for your loss :( Just don’t blame yourself; by the sounds of his symptoms it may have been neurological so there was really nothing more you could have done.

09/16/16  05:13pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area