Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hadleywimsatt   AmbuBadger   Hadleywimsatt   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Hadleywimsatt
View Profile

Baby Anole Care

Hello! This is my first time using this forum.

So, we live in New Jersey. Today I found what looks to be a baby Brown Anole on the floor near my Uromastyx tank. He is probably the size of my fingernail. I have no clue how he got there. The only thing I can think of is that we used to have a tank with two anoles in it a few years ago.

Anyway, the lizard is now in a cup. I did not have anything besides an empty 10 gallon but that is obviously too big to put him in.

Does anyone know what to feed him and what he should be kept in? Also, what type of lighting should they have?

Thank you.

08/12/16  12:26pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Hadleywimsatt   In reference to Message Id: 2319283

Baby Anole Care

A ten gal tank is fine, if that’s all you have. You can line the bottom with paper towel or newspaper to keep track of the poop so you’ve got a idea of his food intake. Just be sure to mist it often, and have a bit of moss or a plant in there for him to feel safe in. I feed mine flightless fruit flies and any other similar-sized grasshoppers, spiders, and roaches. It’s tough to find things that small that are also soft enough for them to chew. I provide heat and UVB.

08/13/16  01:16am

Hadleywimsatt
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319285

Baby Anole Care

Thank you!

When feeding fruit flies, should I put them in a bottle cap or a container or something? I’m not sure if she will be able to find them. Should I leave them in the cage for a long time? I will dust them with calcium.

08/15/16  10:06am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Hadleywimsatt   In reference to Message Id: 2319298

Baby Anole Care

It’s amazing how they’ll instinctivey hunt them down-- just so long as the fruit flies cannot escape and your little guy can reach them, you’ll be fine. I use a funnel and shake a few fruit flies into a glass jar to be dusted with calcium. It also makes it harder for the fruit flies to "fly" away for some reason, probably because the powder coats their wings as well. I give my lizards calcium once a week. In my 2.5 gallon tank I have a three week old green anole. He has a pothos plant which takes up a good amount of room in there, and he still has no trouble finding his meals.

08/16/16  11:36am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area