Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anole guy 574   AmbuBadger   Anole guy 574   AmbuBadger   Anole guy 574   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Anole guy 574
View Profile

Lethargic green anole

I’ve had my anole for about a month and has a 12 by 12 by 18 that he shares with a female anole and they have a uvb and basking bulb both from exo terra, they have three exo terra plants and branchs under the basking bulb and others up at the top for them to climb, they have coconut fiber. I spray every day 3-4 times a day and have a reptifogger that’s turns on every 2 hours for 3 minutes and I feed them small gutloaded crickets dusted in calcium whiteout d3 and occasionally meal worms also dusted. Every day they get 12 hours of daytime and nightime. Every week I take them out and clean their tank. Their both not tamed so I don’t hold or touch them. I’m really scared that he’ll die please help

07/15/16  07:46pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole guy 574   In reference to Message Id: 2319127

Lethargic green anole

What’s the actual problem with him, and what are his symptoms? You say lethargic-- does that mean he’s not moving around as much as usual, or is he staying in a hidden a tea and avoiding coming out altogether? What is his color like? Green, brown, dark brown? Does he have black and green spots all over his body, especially black ones on the belly and dark spots behind the eyes? Does he look a thinner than usual? How about when you feed him, does he perk up and chase down the food eagerly? Finally, how does his poop look? Wet/dry, chunky, round? Color? Get back to us with these answers ASAP, and also let us know if there’s other pets in the house.

07/15/16  09:46pm

Anole guy 574
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319128

Lethargic green anole

He’s hidden most of the day but when I check on him somtimes he’s on the leaves. He hasn’t really Ben running or climbing as much as he used to. He’s bright green in the morning then greenish brownish in the afternoon. He does not have any spots. He look thinner than he did a week ago. When I feed him he somtimes will go for it but other times he watches it but doesn’t go for it. His poop is wet and round. I have a cat but never goes in the room.

07/16/16  12:06pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole guy 574   In reference to Message Id: 2319129

Lethargic green anole

Okay, thanks for the update. Cats find ways to get into rooms, and it could be possible that yours is intimidating your anole into not feeling comfortable. Another possibility is that he is starting a shed soon, but the process shouldn’t take more than a few days. When mine shed, their color looks a little less vibrant right before, and they like to stay hidden. The color and poop sound good, and the lack of spotting is a plus. Maybe he’s getting bored of the food you’re offering? What do you feed him? I offer mine crickets, mealworms, moths, butterflies, and roaches. You can try small moths or butterflies-- it seems that the movement catches their eye and gets them in that hunting mode. The also like mealworms, but since he may be dehydrated, be sure to sift through the container to find the really pale, white ones-- those are freshly molted, and have softer shells. If you don’t see any, wait a day or two without refrigerating the container as the cold slows down the molting process. The brown ones have harder shells that’ll require more moisture and effort from your anole to digest, and may make things worse. Another thing to try are non-acidic fruits, like banana. I chew up some until it’s decently mashed, and put it on the end of a BBQ skewer. Not all my anoles like this, but it’s worth a shot. Finally, if you are feeding your guys live food, make sure the food itself gets nutrients on board, like those Flukers jelly blocks or various fruits. That cheap cornmeal stuff they pack the crickets with doesn’t do much for your anole’s health. Let me know what you’re feeding your guy! Thanks for getting back to us.

07/17/16  02:24am

Anole guy 574
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319131

Lethargic green anole

I’m feeding him crickets and mealworms and I’m feeding my crickets flukers orange cubes he’s now green with brown spots so I’m getting scared

07/17/16  02:37pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Anole guy 574   In reference to Message Id: 2319136

Lethargic green anole

Okay, the food is not the issue. Also, if your anole has a parasite, I would expect the female to be sick too, so we can put that thought on the back burner for now. How are the plants in the terrarium? I’ve seen my anoles turn brown when I put them in a cage that is darker or has less greenery. How about the UVB bulb? Is it older than six months old (like a used one or leftover from a previous pet)? Finally, do you have another cage to put your anole in? Maybe with a green plant for him to chill on so you can see if his environment is cause for the change? And think back to anything that is different, maybe you’ve moved the cage or there’s a draft, don’t overlook anything. Keep him hydrated, but don’t flood the tank, too much moisture can lead to him catching pneumonia. Also, make sure the cage is clean-- one of my geckos got sick because I was too busy to clean up the poop that built up, but there’s no excuse to let that happen. I was lucky, she recovered.

07/17/16  08:25pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319137

Lethargic green anole

One more thing, look online for symptoms of pneumonia in anoles, I went back to your original post and read the part about the fogger. Unless you live someplace super dry, I think they’re getting too much moisture. Wet surfaces will allow bacteria from feces to be carried around easily, maybe even licked up by your anoles. The plants you have are fake plastic ones, right? Maybe try placing your anole on a real plant that hasn’t been treated with pesticides. I mist my anoles about three times a day, five max, and they’re getting plenty water. Look to see if your guy is dehydrated as well as skinny, or just skinny. If he doesn’t have sunken eyes/face and your climate isn’t overly dry, perhaps easing off the mister would help.

07/17/16  08:55pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area