Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Drgoodie   AmbuBadger   Drgoodie   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Drgoodie
View Profile

How do I protect wild anoles while treating for aphid infestation

My red oak has a horrendous aphid infestation and very large pools of their excreta "sap" are being deposited around the deck every night. Under the oak is a large bed of ferns. For the first time in eight years, wild anoles are sleeping on the ferns at night. They used to stay in the hardy plank siding hidey holes. I am looking for a treatment for the aphids that will not harm the anoles. If I place granules containing Imidacloprid and Clothianidin on the soil, the tree will absorb them and the aphids will die from dehydration caused by ingesting these chemicals. Since anoles eat aphids, I assume this method of treatment - or any form of pesticide - would be harmful to them. There are a couple of adults, some "teens", and a few very tiny babies. I look for them each night and have seen as many as five snoozing away. They cling to the slim fern leaves and sleep through some pretty strong breezes. I don’t know why they left their hidey holes in the siding. They are now in danger from possums and such I would think. Thanks for any advice or comment!

07/12/16  10:17am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Drgoodie   In reference to Message Id: 2319100

My best answer would be to remove them at night and relocate them until the treatment is done. I don’t know, offhand, if any pesticides that are safe for anoles to ingest later on down the food chain...

07/13/16  05:05pm

Drgoodie
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2319106

Thanks AmbuBadger. I finally read one article that suggested spraying the plant with a garden hose to remove the aphids. It stated they could not return. The sap that was appearing each morning covered an area about 2 feet square and then there were four or five other smaller areas scattered about the deck and it covered large areas of the fern leaves. It washed off the deck easily, but the oak leaves were curling and getting brown spots so I was worried about the tree. I was about to spend hundreds on an arborist or a pest controller.

I used the jet spray head and "blasted" the leaves as far up as I could reach. I expected a reduction in the sap and was amazed to see none at all this morning. I saw the tiniest baby anole on a fern last night, so they were not harmed. Perhaps this post will be found by someone else who is looking for a solution to aphids. I know this site is about caring for pet anoles, but I love "my" wild ones, they need to be protected, and I figured everyone here loves anoles also. Thanks for responding.

07/14/16  10:40am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Drgoodie   In reference to Message Id: 2319107

Thanks for getting back to us! I hope so one comes across this info as well.

07/14/16  02:25pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area