Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chelsea81   All things animals   Chelsea81   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Chelsea81
View Profile

What Caused My Anole’s Death?

I am saddened that today, after owning my green anole for only a week, he has passed. I thought I was treating him exactly right and was obsessed with caring for him. I feel I went above and beyond so I don’t understand what happened and would like some input for both closure and future reference.

He lived in a 10 gallon glass tank with a metal screen top. It had peat moss (sphagnum) on the ground and a variety of fake vine plants and ground plants. He had a bunch of real sticks around the cage he loved to hang out on and climb. I misted the tank 2-3 times daily and made sure temps were ideal. He was fed small crickets once daily, about 6 a day. I didn’t touch him except for maybe a couple times I tried to pet him, but I never tried to hold him or bother him for more than a few seconds. He seemed thin the whole time, but I saw him hunt and eat crickets often. His ribs and hip bones were visible which worried me, but I didn’t know what to do as long as he was eating.

This morning, he had the black eyes of death. He was breathing, but he wouldn’t move much when I attempted to touch him which is of course a bad sign. I called Petssmart and they said to bring him in. At one point, before I got him, he seemingly fell off a stick and lied on his side, staunch. It was so scary. When I put the little container in to coax him in, he became active again and was being the normal jumpy crazy guy trying to avoid me and the container. I thought that a good sign. I put a moist paper towel in and lidded it, and off we went to the store. About 1/2 way there, he started... Spasming. It was awful. He had no desire to be at the top, but simply layed on the bottom, breathing become more and more irregular. He would act as if he was not breathing all together, then I would tap the container lightly and he would start breathing very heavily and very fast for a few seconds. His body was becoming more brown and black, and I was so scared and sad. I felt helpless. At one point, he violently flipped on his side and began opening his mouth and jerking, as if gasping for air, while his body writhed. He went still. I thought he was gone. Then he slowly flipped over onto his stomach, jerked a little more, and stopped breathing for good. His pouch area looked wrinkly, his spine looked limp and crooked, he was dead. Petssmart took him, and didn’t tell us what could have been wrong.

Please help me figure out what I did wrong.

RIP Barack.

06/29/16  03:51pm

All things animals
View Profile

Message To: Chelsea81   In reference to Message Id: 2318968

Hello sooo sorry about your little guy! Did you have a heat lamp on him because if not his digestive tract will be all wacked up. Sometimes when you buy a reptile from a petstore they have a variety of parasites and so can the crickets. There is absolutely no way you could have prevented this unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a lizard taking him to the vet which is very unethical so in the long run it was most likely not your fault but I am very sorry hope this helped

06/30/16  09:02pm

Chelsea81
View Profile

Message To: All things animals   In reference to Message Id: 2318987

Yes, he had a heat lamp. Thank you for your reply and I think you’re probably right, he probably had parasites before he even left the pet store.

07/01/16  10:23am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Chelsea81   In reference to Message Id: 2318991

Wrinkly belly indicates dehydration, and the crooked spine can be due to Metabolic Bone Disease, or MBD, which occurs in captivity when anoles do not get enough calcium in their diet. Both of these issue may have very well started in the pet store, and you pretty much had the cards against you from the start.

07/02/16  11:15am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area