Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Weareallanimals   AmbuBadger   Weareallanimals   AmbuBadger   Weareallanimals   Kbieber212   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   AmbuBadger   Weareallanimals   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

Weareallanimals
View Profile

Injured Cuban Knight Anole found on side of road.

Hi walking about 2 weeks ago we found him near the gutter maybe after falling from a tree we believe. First we thought he was dead but as we picked him up he started to roll around on the ground, mouth open, he was laying with his left side of his head on the ground and will always be that way but we will straighten it. For two weeks we have fed him, he poops and sheds and will still grip just doesnt like to move much. the end tip of his tail has turned black, but he still have nice color and his head is especially green. we are not sure if he will get better but no doubt we will take care of him.

please help if you have any information.

06/14/16  04:44pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Weareallanimals   In reference to Message Id: 2318764

The things that will help him recover are heat, rest, hydration, and food. What have you been feeding him? What kind of container is he in? What color is he, and does he have dark spots behind the eyes and on his tummy? When you come into the room, how does he react, if at all? Does he seem alert and aware of his surroundings? To give him heat, use a light bulb-- a conventional spotlight or 60 watt will do, CFL and LED bulbs do not emit enough heat. He will also need UVB exposure, which can be provided by certain UVB bulbs you can buy on Amazon or by exposing him to direct sunlight, so long as it doesn’t overheat his home. For water, I’d say spray the inside of his container at least twice daily, allowing him the chance to lick the droplets. These types of lizards aren’t usually used to drinking from a static source, like a bowl. Check for dehydration by looking at his face and stomach. The eyes shouldn’t look sunken it or gaunt. It is normal for the ribs to show a little, and you can look at pics online for an idea of how a healthy Knight Anole should look, so compare your patient. You can give him a little variety by offering mashed banana, mango, or papaya if it’s readily available to you (I live in Hawaii, so those things are easily found at the store), and of you decide to give him mealworms, choose the freshly molted ones-- they look very clear or white, and their shells are still very soft, making for easier digestion and less strain on his body. Finally, make sure his home is set up to allow him plenty of rest-- I find that my anoles love to sleep in Spanish Moss, but anything leafy that conceals him will not only make him feel safe, but help him shed as well. Don’t disturb him too much, other than to check on him, feed him, and clean the cage. Make note of what his poop looks like, and report back to us. When fresh, it should be smooth and wet looking, with that white phosphate head. If you can take a pic and upload it, that would help! Oh, and last but not least-- he’s been alive for two weeks, that’s a good sign! The fact he’s on the floor all the time could mean he has internal injuries, and given the small size of these creatures, it may not be possible for a vet to work on him-- so focus on making his home as comfortable as possible so he can heal. If he constantly has dark spots behind the eyes and on his tummy, those are signs he is stressed. Check out my post on the emaciated anole, the first pic shows what that looks like. Mental status is important too-- if he seems like he is suddenly very tired and not caring when you are there feeding him, then it is a bad sign. Please understand that you didn’t cause this accident, and that even with the best of care, he may still die-- but taking care of him instead of leaving him to die of exposure or to be eaten alive by ants or rats is still much better! Thank you for doing your best for him!

06/14/16  10:45pm

Weareallanimals
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2318771

heres a couple of pics of him. hes in the box right now moved him from a small cat cage. we feed him through a small plastic syringe, mango or banana, apple sauce mixed with water.

we have him outside few times a day, we keep handling to a minimum just to feed or fix his posture. no poo pic yet.

Thank you so much for the response really appreciated.

06/15/16  01:50pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Weareallanimals   In reference to Message Id: 2318785

Thanks for posting the pics! I don’t see any obvious signs of trauma, but only an x-ray or physical exam could determine that-- and the physical exam would stress him too much at this point and x-rays are expensive. I see what you mean about his favoring of his left side-- it’s not as bad of a gait as I thought, which is good. Do you have a light to keep him warm? It would be best to have a light on one side of the box, keeping the temps in the mid 90’s. How’s he with the food you’ve been giving him? Dos he seem to like it? I suppose you could supplement his diet by adding powdered Reptical or Reptivite to make sure he’s getting some calcium and vitamin D on board. The paper on the box floor is perfect, it’ll allow you to see how much poop he’s making as well as the quality of it.

06/15/16  05:11pm

Weareallanimals
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2318790

got Reptivite yesterday, here is his poop from this afternoon, again doesn’t move much, sometimes he’ll be at a different spot in box when we are away, how he got there? maybe walked, but we assume he rolls. interesting point one of us thought they saw wings in his mouth, perhaps a defense mechanism or something although maybe just have fallen from tree trying to get it.

06/16/16  11:38am

Kbieber212
View Profile

Message To: Weareallanimals   In reference to Message Id: 2318803

My Bahaman Anoles Drink Water Weirdly!!!

ok so i’m currently taking care of 3 baby Bahaman Anoles and whenever I give them water to drink, they always lift their heads up like really high as if they’re looking up at Heaven. can someone please tell me if that’s normal?? i’m scared if they drink water it hurts them..

06/17/16  12:57am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Weareallanimals   In reference to Message Id: 2318803

I’m thinking he may be pushing himself from one spot to anothe, the only worry there is that it may wear down the skin on his nose or wherever it contacts the ground. No need to worry about it unless it breaks skin, and if it does, a thin, very thin coat of antibiotic ointment should do the trick. The poop looks okay, nothing obviously wrong that I can see. Let me know if he takes the vitamins. It’ll be a slow road to recovery, so don’t give up on him! His body is repairing itself, takes a lot of time.

06/17/16  02:50pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Kbieber212   In reference to Message Id: 2318824

To KBieber, don’t worry about your babies hurting themselves. They’re just enthusiastic to drink, they’ll be fine. If you are really worriedly, you can always mist their cage and let them drink the drops off a plant or screen. I’ve used crumpled up mesh fabric before, they’ll lap up droplets from that.

06/17/16  03:19pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2318828

Any updates?

06/22/16  02:18pm

Weareallanimals
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2318871

Recently he’s taken a turn color change to a black near back leg about size of a quarter eyes are sunken he’s skinny gave bath in water/pedialytele

06/23/16  11:34am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Weareallanimals   In reference to Message Id: 2318876

Well, it looks like he’s licking up the fluids, so that’s good. Any more details on his feeding habits and poop? Changes in activity? How about the lighting situation-- what does he have aside from the sunlight you expose him to? He doesn’t look super skinny yet, not as bad as I thought he would be, but the darker color could be due to stress. Also, have you tried feeding him banana or other fruits?

06/23/16  12:31pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area