Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ReptileAnimallover   AmbuBadger   ReptileAnimallover   AmbuBadger   ReptileAnimallover  

Member  Message

ReptileAnimallover
View Profile

I feel horrible need anole advise

i was under stresss and dead lines for school my oldest anole is still alive but doesnt look healthy. I missed 3 feeding days they get feed gut loaded crickets every two days and worms in between if they wish to eat them ( all tweezers feed and take it fine) is there anything else i can do besides making sure i don’t EVVEEERRR miss a day again?

P.S. no negative remarks i got my nephew this lizard and i already feel horrible i almost killed him...

06/09/16  12:37am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ReptileAnimallover   In reference to Message Id: 2318650

What are his living conditions like? Does he have adequate heat and UVB lighting, and do you have real or fake plants in the tank with him? You can try feeding him chewed up banana-- mine like that as a treat, and it seems easy to digest. Be sure to keep him misted, too-- dehydration can kill them, and will make digesting any crickets or roaches difficult.

06/10/16  07:26pm

ReptileAnimallover
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2318667

fake plants and a huge piece of drift wood to hide with lots of water options and watering is observed buy three people to make sure there never dehydrated they have uvb lighting and some time this week hes going to be getting a bigger tank right now its like a 10 - 15 gallon it’ll soon be a 25 ish gallon i didn’t know they could have banana can they eat anything else as a treat?

06/11/16  12:32pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: ReptileAnimallover   In reference to Message Id: 2318672

Okay, the layout sounds like it is sufficient until he can be placed in a larger tank, and so long as he has places to sun himself, heating sounds okay too. Are there any pets? I know of one guy who had an iguana that was stressing out for unknown reasons until their home security cam caught the neighbor’s cat staring at it though the window, which the iguana obviously didn’t like! The water situation seems okay-- the anole won’t drink from a bowl, but they will lick up droplets on leaves and the glass of the tank.

Skin: What’s the color of your anole? Is he brown, bright green, or very dark brown black spots on the body? Are their dark black spots behind the eyes? When they have these postorbital black spots combined with very dark skin and black or blue/green spots on the back, they’re very stressed and won’t really eat or drink. Look for the bone structure poking through the skin-- ribs are normal, but if you see the hip bones, the skull structure around the eyes (sunken eyes), and the spine looks raised along the back, he is very dehydrated. You have to focus on hydrating him at this point rather than feeding him crickets and mealworms because the latter wills pull fluids into the digestive system to process the food, and actually dehydrate him even more.

Eating: don’t worry if he doesn’t eat every day, or even every third day. They’re used to chasing their food and their metabolisms are made to make the most of what little food they do find. Your anole isn’t expending tons of energy hunting and evading predators, so he’ll be fine if he misses a day. Check his poo out too-- we know how normal poo should look, so check to see if his is too watery or so dry that it doesn’t come out easily. Also look closely for parasites.

For treats, I try to give them what I see around here in Hawaii. I’ll give them chewed up banana, daddy long leg spiders, starfruit, baby roaches, freshly molted crickets and mealworms, small caterpillars, flightless fruit flies, and small moths.

06/11/16  04:27pm

ReptileAnimallover
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2318676

okay thank you a lot for your help it really helped, yes we have other pets 4 dogs and 3 cats but are not aloud in the room when the anoles and longtail are in nor are they aloud to roam around freely. it surprises me whats wrong with him is hes dehydrated but the other three are not i guess is why it shocked me. theres no spots and his eyes arent sunken in you can just see hes hip structure this will be fixed thank you for your help.

06/13/16  07:14pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area