Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ryan2499   Takahiro111   Ryan2499   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Ryan2499
View Profile

Anole Substrate

Hi there, my daughter brought home a wild caught Anole from the Gulf Coast of Florida a few weeks ago. We’ve got her set up in a 10 gallon tank, feeding her live crickets and have stabilized the temp and humidity. The one question I have is the substrate. We’ve been using a brick of coconut bark that you use about half of the brick and soak it in water for 30 minutes and then squeeze it out and spread it on the floor of the aquarium. But on your care sheet I see this may not be an ideal substrate. I’ve searched our home & garden stores in the city - Ace, Home Depot, Lowe’s - and all the organic soils/composts have Perlite. Can anyone recommend a SPECIFIC BRAND you use that I may be able to find online? Searching Organic Soil without Perlite does not yield helpful results.

THANKS!

04/21/16  04:22am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ryan2499   In reference to Message Id: 2317997

Anole Substrate

Try ecoearth....the bag one not the brick that way its not wet. The reason why I don’t recommend the brick is because its too wet, takes days/weeks to fully dry not to mention it can cause some serious blisters on lizards and especially snakes but the bag is a little moist but drys quicker. I’m currently using it.

04/21/16  12:42pm

Ryan2499
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2318002

Anole Substrate

Thanks, appreciate the advice, I see the bag of the loose coconut fiber on Amazon and pretty sure I saw it at Petco. Do you use the Hydroballs underneath it? I actually liked soaking the bark b/c it added moisture/humidity.

04/21/16  02:42pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ryan2499   In reference to Message Id: 2318004

Anole Substrate

I don’t use hydroballs if your talking about moss. I use the zoo med box one

04/22/16  10:35pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area