Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GirlyHerpy   Icearstorm   GirlyHerpy   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

GirlyHerpy
View Profile

I need to know my anoles gender!!

My green anole is 5 months old, and i would like to know the gender. 2/10 times it will show aggression in the mirror (Showing dewlap) Has a dewlap, I can’t tell if there are the scales under the tail or not, also has a white stripe on its back. Please help!

03/13/16  02:49pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: GirlyHerpy   In reference to Message Id: 2317427

Its behavior suggests a male. Males always have enlarged post-anal scales, but if you cannot handle the lizard long enough to see, you have to use other cues. From my experience, the females are high-strung and more aggressive toward humans and other female anoles, while males are more aggressive toward predators and other males during the breeding season. If the dewlap is fairly large and relatively colorful, it is likely a male. Juveniles often have a white stripe, though in adults this is more common in, but not restricted to, females. Males often have larger jaw muscles and hemipenal bulges, but these are not always apparent in juveniles or underweight lizards and non-breeders (probably also due to lack of prey). Adult heavyweight males often have proportionately large heads and fat bodies, as well. Another way of sexing is through candling (though just looking at the postanal scales would make more sense). Just hold a bright light that does not emit much heat up to the lizard’s tail and look for two red dots. If you see these, it is a male. If not, it is probably a female. Aside from this, I cannot think of any other way to tell aside from genetic sexing. The male has a mismatched pair of microchromosomes (an X and a Y), while the female has all matched chromosomal pairs (XX). This one method is certainly not worth the time or money, though.

03/13/16  05:39pm

GirlyHerpy
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317430

Ok thank you!

03/20/16  02:35pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: GirlyHerpy   In reference to Message Id: 2317499

Glad I could help! :)